World's End World's End discussion

Lanny Budd World's End Series by Upton Sinclair

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Courts I began with Dragon;s Teeth and was so captivated by the protagonist, Lanny Budd, that I bought all of the books as originally published. After reading the series I invested much time and money and with the help of Frederick Ellis, we published the entire series in beautiful hardbound crismson editions. The series is available at our web site at 30& off of the cover price with free shipping at: www.uptonsinclairinstitute.com. The site is dedicated to the series and to Upton's legacy. There are reviews of all eleven books and much much much more about Upton and his works.

Stephen Courts
Columbus, Ohio
July 10, 2011

Daniel Benshana I read this entire series from a library in my 20s. I consider the first volume, about how WW1 was heavily driven by arms traders and who they were, still the strongest of the 11 books. You can see he was a journalist, his eye was strong and this is a vivid account of the first half of the 20th century in Europe, but he stretches belief with Lanny being a personal acquaintance of Hitler and for a spy Lanny certainly falls in a love a good deal.
These are books for young minds coming to grips with the world and will lead to better and deeper written books that take adventure as the lesser of two human experiences and the gaining of wisdom as the greater.

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Courts Thank you for the comment. I don't believe falling in love four or five times in a life time is what I would call excessive even by 1920s and 1930s standards. As for books for young minds, I disagree tremendously with the premise. Most of the readers I exchange correspondence with are multiple readers of the series and often began in their teens and are reading a third time by their 70s and 80s. The history is remarkably accurate even acknowledged by my conservative friends who do not particularly like Sinclair. As far as a double agent, he was ahead of his time. Most of the material is historically accurate and is based on several actual people Upton knew. This is not Harry Potter material for young minds. It is as close the real history as one gets. As George Bernard Shaw famously wrote: When people asked me about the period, I do not refer them to newspapers, but to Upton Sinclair's writings. It is a proven fact that double spies existed then and they exist now. That is not farfetched. World's End is a must for the readers of the series, but Wide Is The Gate is a profoundly excellent book, the 4th, about the Spanish Civil War. Presidential Agent, the 5th is one of the best of the 11 Upton wrote and it is this book Lanny meets FDR. All of the books stand alone, but read in order of publishing, the better they are for context. BTW, the entire story, like today is about fricking arms dealing. The only difference is the sophistication of the arms and weapons sold today. There is much more I could write, but I appreciate the feed back on World's End and I disagree about "young minds". I was never taught anything close to reality in High School or College in history or government. This is the single most exciting series I have had the pleasure to read. Best wishes, Stephen