Cozy Mysteries discussion

Cozy Authors > Whatever happened to ...

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Libi (new)

Libi Astaire (goodreadscomlibi_astaire) Does anyone know what has happened to Jill Churchill (Janice Young Brooks)? Her new cozy "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" was supposed to be published last year. An acquaintance is worried that she might be ill.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I don't know, but I'd love to find out. Her Jane Jeffery series was my first cozy series and I absolutely loved it. I also enjoyed the Grace and Favor series and was hoping there'd be more of them in the future. Google yields nothing. Perhaps someone on this list will know.

message 3: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments I really like the Jane Jeffery series. I'll have to try the Grace and Favor series.

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Kirton | 4 comments Did anyone ever here anything?

message 5: by Cindi (new)

Cindi Schultz (scrappy1teacher) | 56 comments I have not read anything by Jill Churchill, but they do sound pretty good. I am wondering if anyone knows anything about Laura Durham (Annabelle Archer mysteries). She has written three books and the last one was back in 2009. I loved her books and would love to know if she plans to write anymore. Thanks

message 6: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (bobbichukran) According to Amazon, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes is coming in July! Yippee---I'm also a fan. bobbi c.
http://bobbichukran.com

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Her publisher website doesn't list the book in their July releases. As much as I want to see this book, I'm not holding my breath. :(

message 8: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (bobbichukran) They're taking pre-orders for the hardcover. I think it sucks that somebody already put a one star review on there, just because the book isn't available. That has nothing to do with the quality of the book, or why the reviews are there. Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Gets-Grac...

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise | 618 comments I have sent an email to Jill Churchill's publisher to see if she is still writing. I will let the group know if/when they reply.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Oh, thanks for that! I hope you'll hear a response.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 97 comments Thanks Denise. Looking forward to hearing the definitive word on that. Like a few others I have heard that she had issues with her publisher. This is such a horrible time as far as the publishing business and even established authors are running into problems.

I can see quite a few authors who are well-established that have both paper and e-books and that is a wise decision as it looks like the market is veering into the electronic medium. I have not quite moved their yet, but am considering buying a Kindle. I don't like to listen to books though. I used to commute to work and it was good then, but now prefer to read.

I am glad I signed up for this forum as I love cozies and it is great to actually find out what has happened to some of my favorite authors.

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 97 comments Does anyone know what happened to Karen Kijewski? I read all of her books up to her last one (Stray Cat Waltz in 1998 I think) and then poof she did not write any others.

I read an article that is about two years old saying that she wanted to write more, but that her publisher said if he did put out her books they would have to be in paperback so she stopped. The article said she would love to write more, but just was not going to publish first in paperback.

I don't really know if this is accurate or what the current status is. It would be great if she could write more as these were really good books. It does not make sense, but I know the publishing industry is in a mess right now.

message 13: by Denise (new)

Denise | 618 comments Kathy wrote: "Thanks Denise. Looking forward to hearing the definitive word on that. Like a few others I have heard that she had issues with her publisher. This is such a horrible time as far as the publishin..."

Kathy (and Jennifer also): I haven't heard anything yet from Jill Churchill's publisher (how rude is that!) but maybe they will still answer my email.

As much as I hate to say it, I also am on the verge of getting a Kindle. What I am finding are some authors write part of a series in book form and then they pop in a e-book. And I think you are right in that more and more books are going electronic and fewer and fewer are going to be paper books. This to me is very sad but I liken it to the music industry--first we had records, then 8-tracks, then cassettes, now CDs. Guess those of us that like to read must learn to adapt. (Can you teach an old dog new tricks??? I'm 60 and fighting it but see the "handwriting on the wall" and will soon see it on the Kindle.)

I've never thought I would like an audio book. I'm afraid my mind would wander.

Anyway, I will keep the group informed if I hear about Jill Churchill.

message 14: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) | 524 comments Denise wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Thanks Denise. Looking forward to hearing the definitive word on that. Like a few others I have heard that she had issues with her publisher. This is such a horrible time as far as..."

You don't have to get a Kindle. You can download the free app to your computer or tablet. That's how my husband accesses Kindle/Nook material. Though I will say, I fought a Kindle for a long time, but then my boss gave me one when I left the firm. I still read mainly paper books, but I do really like the Kindle.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I have an e-reader (iPad) with the Kindle app on it and I use iBooks, for just the reason you've mentioned above: short stories authors put out between series books, or where a publisher has dropped a series but the author chooses to self-publish additional books. But I still buy 99% of my books in physical form and will continue to do so. I just don't believe paper-books are going to disappear, especially with the growing popularity of Print On Demand.

I love my iPad, but not nearly as much as I love my library full of books. :)

message 16: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 821 comments Denise wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Thanks Denise. Looking forward to hearing the definitive word on that. Like a few others I have heard that she had issues with her publisher. This is such a horrible time as far as..."

I love my Kindle Denise! I also use the Kindle app on my iPad. I bet you'd like it too!

message 17: by Barb (new)

Barb | 1068 comments The only problem I had with the Kindle app for PC -- before I broke down and bought a Kindle -- was that you can't use the "Kindle users borrow for free" feature with just the Kindle app. You *have to have a Kindle for that. And that was part of the reason I eventually bought a Kindle LOL

message 18: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments My husband bought me a Kindle Fire for my birthday last year. I would have probably never bought it myself, or at least not at that time. I love it for reading magazines. So convenient for that! I have read probably 8 or 10 books on it. I still prefer "paper & ink" books myself. It is really nice to get all the "freebies". Most of what I have on it, and I actually have quite a lot, was free or $.99. I did pay $4.99 for 2 things I really wanted to read and the only way I could get them was electronically. And I did pay $6.99 for something a week or so ago that really piqued my interest. Otherwise, $.99 or $1.99 is my limit!

message 19: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (jjelizalde) I gave in and bought a Kindle to go with my Nook. While I think my Nook is much easier to use (touchscreen) than the Nook, I use them both.

message 20: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Balzo (SandraBalzo) | 47 comments Has anybody ever heard of Marissa Piesman? She wrote a series in the 90s featuring Nina Fischman, a poverty lawyer in NYC. Nina reminds me of Stephanie Plum--before there WAS a Stephanie Plum. There hasn't been a new one for years but I just checked and it looks like the originals have been reissued.

message 21: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Scott (goodreadscomknitknat) | 131 comments Whatever happened to Tim Myers. I loved the candle making and soap making series. His characters always felt like a part of my family.

message 22: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Teresa wrote: "Whatever happened to Tim Myers. I loved the candle making and soap making series. His characters always felt like a part of my family."

He currently writes the Donut Shop series as Jessica Beck and I think he also has another series or 2 written under different names.

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jenn214571) | 9 comments Teresa wrote: "Whatever happened to Tim Myers. I loved the candle making and soap making series. His characters always felt like a part of my family."

http://cozy-mystery.com/Tim-Myers.html

Mystereity Reviews (mystereity) I'm still wondering what's going on with Madelyn Alt. Anyone know what happened to her?

message 25: by Linda (new)

Linda Whatever happened to Valerie Wolzien? She wrote a slew of books about a Connecticut "housewife" who solved mysteries, and then she started the Josie Pigeon series, which I loved. I thought the Josie Pigeon series would continue longer.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Tee wrote: "I'm still wondering what's going on with Madelyn Alt. Anyone know what happened to her?"

Not a clue. She spoke online about personal issues and having to move, causing her last book to be put on hold, but that she was once again working on it. But that was at least 18 months ago and now she's disappeared. I've just about given up on that next book, which sucks, because I really liked that series.

Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews (hugbandit7) | 170 comments Linda S. wrote: "Whatever happened to Valerie Wolzien? She wrote a slew of books about a Connecticut "housewife" who solved mysteries, and then she started the Josie Pigeon series, which I loved. I thought the Josi..."

I know this is an older thread but I wondered about Valerie too. I have read most of her Josie Pigeon series and need to finish it up sometime. was sad she didn't come out with more.