Book Haven discussion

25 views
Buddy Reads > Buddy read wanted for "Riddley Walker"

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I am desperately hoping that someone, anyone, will take the challenge of reading Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban.

It's a odd book, even for an "after the world ends" scenario.

It's written in a weird sort of pidgin English that's difficult to puzzle out and slows down the reading.

I'm only 20% in at this point, and think hat having a buddy might encourage me to get through the remaining 80%


message 2: by Baxter (new)

Baxter Trautman Do you like the 20% so far? It sounds like reading James Joyce, which I needed the help of a professor and whole class for:)


Baxter Clare Trautman, The River Within
Web site: http://baxterclare.com
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...


message 3: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Now 1/3 through, and as much as I am struggling with the the linguistic trick he's playing, there are elements of the book that are quite fascinating ... my impression is that he's drawing a sketch of an entire post-nuclear war culture.


message 4: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I finally finished today, and the worst thing I can say is that I'm glad it's over. Most books I want them to keep going.


back to top