Creative Reviews discussion

Fantasy Reviews > Book Review

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (bookaphile) | 34 comments Melke is a wraith, which means she has the ability to walk unseen. After being forced to steal a necklace, she is hunted down by the victim of the crime, Bastian sal Vere. He explains that the necklace was strung with tears, and that without it, Bastian cannot break the curse that is destroying his family. He orders Melke to regain the necklace, in exchange for her brother to be healed. But she had given the necklace to the salamanders, the fire breathing creatures that live underground. She must risk her own life. Meanwhile, Bastian becomes involved in solving a brutal murder of a young pregnant girl in the town of Theirry. This is a strong character-based fantasy, full of romantic tension and gritty storylines.

I galloped through this book in the space of 3 hours.
Now usually that means that it was just too enjoyable to stop reading , but not this time.
The story hinges around a magic necklace that the hero's family stole from a mystical and vengeful sea creature.
Or to put it simply;
1. Hero has necklace
2. Sea monster wants necklace
3. Heroine steals necklace from boy to give to salamanders
4. Then steals necklace back to return to hero and so on......

The back cover says that this is a 'rich romantic fantasy', not in my book it isn't.
The front cover says 'A finely faceted gem'... well in my view it was more of a bludgeon, there was no subtlety and if not for the disturbing violent sexual imagery I would have said that it read like a book written for children.
The love story is completely unbelievable, the antipathy that the hero first feels toward the heroine is so overdone it is more of a caricature than a believable emotion.
Oh, and there is rape and sodomy of the two male characters, and the sub plot is the story of a 15 year old prostitute who is murdered by the man who impregnated her.

In conclusion, I have to say that if I could have the three hours back that I spent reading this book then I would do the ironing instead, it would be more enjoyable.....

message 2: by Kendall (new)

Kendall (kendallfurlong) | 7 comments Stop beating around the bush and say what you think!

message 3: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) Am I missing something here? What book is this and who is the author?

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (bookaphile) | 34 comments Sorry guys. The book is Thief With No Shadow by Emily Gee.

message 5: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) Thanks Jackie, both for the review and the title ;)