Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > The Gay Bar-Can It Survive?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.slate.com/id/2297609/

What do you think? Ever been to one? TC gays and/or lesbians, and, I guess, uh, everyone else, would you miss gay bars?

message 2: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I went to a gay bar in Las Angeles called "The Library". My male fried used to frequent the bar when he was in university and wanted to take my sister and I there. It wasn't a gay bar when he went to university - or so he said.

My friend was clueless. At some point in the conversation I informed him, "Well we ARE in a gay bar!" He didn't believe me and asked why I thought that. "First of all, my sister and I are the only women here, there are gay pride posters all over the walls, and those two men just kissed."

message 3: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24258 comments Mod
Oh RA, don't make me read something from Slate.

Are gay bars disappearing? Is it because gays are getting married and having families? I'm just going to have to guess since I won't read the article. Won't there be a fresh supply of new gays entering the pipeline at all times? Have their entertainment tastes shifted away from gay bars? I don't know.

I can only think of one gay bar I've been to, years ago, with a couple lesbian and several straight friends. I stole a nice glass. (I used to steal a glass from every bar I went to, if they were nice.)

message 4: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I’ve been to many, on many different occasions. I loved going to bars that catered to gay people in particular when I was younger- it was so nice to go and not get harassed by drunken idjits all night. I have a few friends that are gay- but they’re all married or in long term relationships now and don’t tend to go to bars that much anymore. We tend to have bbq’s and house parties more than anything these days. Maybe it has nothing to do with relationships... maybe we’re all just getting old :)

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Lobstergirl wrote: "Won't there be a fresh supply of new gays entering the pipeline at all times?"

You'd think so, but no, because Michele Bachmann's husband is working to "cure" homosexuality.

Frightening and Crazy People Hard at Work Making the World Safe for All

message 6: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Oh good! Can he cure my green eyes?

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Janice wrote: "Oh good! Can he cure my green eyes?"

Ha!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think gay bars are important in places and times where it is not safe for two gay people to dance together or kiss or hold hands in public. As long as a gay guy still risks getting beat up for hitting on a straight guy, I think gay bars will still exist.
Their dwindling numbers have to do with greater acceptance in the community. Two women or two men can walk into our non-gay bar and hold hands and not risk harassment. If we're the closest bar to their home they may choose to come to our place rather than drive three miles to go to a gay bar.
I've had a lot of good times in gay bars and lesbian bars, but I think I've only been to one once in the last three or four years.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24258 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "Won't there be a fresh supply of new gays entering the pipeline at all times?"

You'd think so, but no, because Michele Bachmann's husband is working to "cure" homosexuality.
..."

Uh huh....according to the internets, Mr. Bachmann is gay.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I have been in a lot of gay bars, pretty much across the gamut. Tiny rural ones and big rural ones and dance bars and video bars and karaoke bars and lesbian bars and old man bars and strip bars and ones that have live music and ones that are really just neighborhood pubs. Culturally, I'd hate to see them go, but as I've already said that I don't hang out in them much these days I don't know if I get a say in the matter.

message 11: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Bun, I in a book I just read, the main character says that his favorite place is a pub, definitely not a bar. What is the difference?

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What's the difference between a bar and a pub? I think I understand, but I'm curious as to others' definitions.

message 13: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Thanks, Bun, I've been thinking of the words as interchangeable when clearly they are not!

And RA, either get out of my head or start paying rent.

message 14: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments One of my favourite things about visiting England was the pubs! It was like going to visit friends, and it really did seem like the owners were true friends of all their regulars. The ones I visited were so warm & cozy, and friendly. I definitely prefer a pub as well.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Pub feels more neighborhoody to me, with food and regulars. I think we're a pub not a bar.

message 16: by Annie (new)

Annie (agrunwe) I'm 18, not old enough to go to bars in the first place. But a few of my friends- gay, bi, straight, purple, whatever- really like them. Gay friends like them because they probably won't accidentally hit on a straight person. Less wasted time, I guess.

And a lot of straight girls like them because they can enjoy a few drinks in peace without being ogled by some group of macho men hopped up on testosterone.

message 17: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments We live a few blocks from a great pub. Actually, I don't think my town has any actual bars, just a couple of pubs, a wine bar and the bars of chain restaurants like Applebees.