Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general & ongoing) > Reading Advice....

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) I wanted to get back into reading for a long time and I wanted to ask if anyone knows any really good books that I can read to get me back into reading again.

I would really appreciate it!
Tanya

message 2: by KimKirt (new)

KimKirt | 1638 comments What kind of genre do you like? That would probably help a lot with recs. Do you like contemporary? Historical? Paranormal? Or are you open to any and all?

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments or any favorite authors from before?

message 4: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) Um well... Im open to all genres apart from Thrillers and Horrors (Excluding Paranormal) and I don't have any favourite authors at the moment.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments you said coming back to reading after a long time - was there anyone you read then who stuck in your head? or anything like that

message 6: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) Well.. I read Stephanie Meyer books, I liked authors like James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, Nora Roberts, Jodi Picoult and many others... But now I dont read as much so i want something exciting that will grab me from the first page.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments I say start small. Read something that you read as a kid that touched you. Something that made you see something and got you to think. The Little Prince would be a good choice. Maybe Winnie-the-Pooh will look completely different through more experienced eyes.

message 8: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) I accept your recommendation but its really not what I was looking for sorry.

message 9: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 311 comments After having both of my children I wanted to ease back into reading with something that was uplifting, funny, and easy to read. I reread the Harry Potter series each time to get back into reading. I wanted to have that feeling of "I can't wait to get back to that book" after I put it down.

Here are some books that grabbed me from the first page:
The Handmaid's Tale (dystopian)
You Suck (humor/paranormal romance)
Good Omens(humor)
Like Water for Chocolate
Ender's Game (YA sci-fi)

just to name a few.

message 10: by KimKirt (new)

KimKirt | 1638 comments Tanya,

I was out of reading for a while, and I picked up a decidely wicked Lisa Kleypas historical. I mean, why not start back with some historical romantic fluff? I enjoyed it so much and have been devouring all types of romances ever since.

Lisa Kleypas has a lot of historicals (and a few contemporary), so just pick one and start. I really enjoyed Dreaming of You recently. The hero is oh so yummy but stubborn! It's the 2nd in a series but definitely can be read as a stand alone and I enjoyed it much more then the 1st in that series.

Also, try J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Start with the first one which is
Dark Lover. I am so NOT a paranormal/vampire book person, but I am hooked on this series! These should be read in order. Definitely some great alpha males in those.

As for a contemporary romance, He Loves Lucy is just adorable. Really a cute, fun read.

Want some suspense with your romance? Try Linda Howard. A specific one of hers that I loved and that left me in a fog for a few days after reading it was Cry No More.

Okay, those are my humble recs for you. Hope you can find something that appeals to you!

Kim

message 11: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 2081 comments I'll definitely recommend the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. Though, it may be qualified as Paranomal (time-travel) but I promise you that it's more Historical than PNR. This is my all time favorite.

Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon Voyager (Outlander, #3) by Diana Gabaldon Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) by Diana Gabaldon The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5) by Diana Gabaldon A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6) by Diana Gabaldon An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments old favorites for me

LaVyrle Spencer - Years by LaVyrle Spencer That Camden Summer by LaVyrle Spencer and many others

Julie Garwood - historicals

message 13: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (bookaholic22) Thanks for all your comments! I will take them into consideration and try them out x
Tanya

message 14: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20380 comments Tanya - I think you should think of a book you really enjoyed, look it up on this site, see who else really enjoyed that book (4 or 5 stars) and have a look through their 'read' books (assuming they have it set at 'public') or if it appears in a 'favourite list', check those other highly rated books...

Good luck!

message 15: by Priyank (new)

Priyank Singhal | 10 comments "No Deadline For Love" by Manasi Vaidya

message 16: by Priyank (last edited Jul 21, 2011 11:13AM) (new)

Priyank Singhal | 10 comments Tanya, in addition to my earlier suggestion, No Deadline For Love No Deadline For Love by Manasi Vaidya

you could also consider

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1) by Sophie Kinsella

message 17: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1281 comments I strongly second the Outlander suggestion!

If you like Stephanie Meyer, I think you will like Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series even more. First book is Vampire Academy.

Richelle Mead has another(paranomal/adult)series starting with Succubus Blues

Another really good dystopian/YA is The Hunger Games.

If you like romantic suspense, try Black Ice. I am currently reading it. It grabbed me from the beginning and moves very quickly.

Jennifer Weiner writes "chick lit" with characters who aren't annoying. Try In Her Shoes and Good in Bed.

With all the suggestions on this thread I'm sure you'll find something you like!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Wan "Artemis", the Dark-Hunters' Goddess wrote: "I'll definitely recommend the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. Though, it may be qualified as Paranomal (time-travel) but I promise you that it's more Historical than PNR. This is my all time fa..."

Just so you're aware, each of these is over 1,000 pages and each seems to get longer.

To get my boys reading, I started them with Harry Potter. They then started enjoying the Percy Jackson books. One thing I think that helped them, is they really enjoying reading a series of books that they could get into and enjoyed. That way each new book in the series dealt with familiar characters on a new adventure.

message 19: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 433 comments Have you thought of checking out amazon (or similar) to see if you can read the first page of the book? I've been known to read books based purely on the first line, and reading a sample out of boredom resulted in the only historical romance I've ever liked.

I don't read many thrillers and horrors, but one I loved was The Harrowing. The author usually writes screenplays (I think) so the book flows like a horror movie. It scared the heck out of me when I read it. Definitely a creepy book so it's worth a look if you want a thriller.

message 20: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1281 comments Good idea to check out the first page!
I have a Nook, and you can download samples of books for free.

message 21: by Tania (last edited Aug 26, 2011 09:51PM) (new)

Tania | 644 comments If you liked Nora Roberts I'd say check out some of her latest stuff or try the In Death series. (starts with Naked in Death)

Other than that - just pick up some cheap books at your local second hand bookstore and start reading. If you don't like them take them back and swap them.

Also, befriend a few people here on good reads and follow their reviews. There are some series most of us read and enjoy so you'll soon get lots of recs from our reviews. That's how I get my recs.

Here's my pretty much standard rec list for Urban Fantasy/PNR if you're wanting to try something in that genre.

Here's a list of the series I try to keep up with.... The ones with stars are the ones I buy on release day.

U/F Series I'd Recommend:
*Ilona Andrews - Kate Daniels Series (Shifters/Magic)
*Patricia Briggs - Mercedes Thompson Series (Shifters/Fae)
*J.D. Robb - In Death Series (Futuristic Crime)
Devon Monk - Allie Beckstrom Series (Magic)
Ann Aguirre - Sirantha Jax Series (Sci-fi-ish)
Molly Harper - Jane Jameson (vampire) and Naked Werewolf (shifters)
Karen Chance - Cassandra Palmer (vampires)
Allyson James - Stormwalker (magic)

PNR Series I'd Recommend:
*Nalini Singh - Psy-Changeling Series (Shifters/Magic)
Lara Adrian - Midnight Breed (Vampires)
Sydney Croft - ACRO (think xmen get hot)
Larissa Ione - Demonica (Demons)
Pamela Palmer - Feral Warriors (shifters)
*Christine Feehan - Dark Series (vampires) and Ghostwalker Series (enhanced soldiers)
*JR Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood (vampires)

message 22: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (flame_2712) | 126 comments If I had to recommend, I would definitely say read Judith Mcnaught's historicals, and some of her contemporaries.

For me, it caught my attention from the beginning, but I'm well aware that many others didn't enjoy these books too.

Whitney, My Love is one,
Once and Always,
Something Wonderful,
Perfect,
Paradise...

Perfect & Paradise are contemporaries, but I loved them completely and I was hooked from the beginning.