The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Agatha Christie
This topic is about Agatha Christie
Book Hunting / Recommendations > Agatha Christie recommendation

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fatima (new)

Fatima (totteringpileofbooks) I recently finished my 10th AC book and I'm looking for more of her works to read. But, I'm not sure which to pick next, so I'm interested to know what are your favorite AC books?

Also, we (AC fans) are familiar with her famous works such as And Then There Were None, Murder on the Orient Express etc. but what are the less popular AC books that you liked too? I hope I discover some more AC jems through this topic. :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mysterious Mr. Quin is something different from Christie. I read it a long time ago, but really enjoyed it.

Another favorite is Hercule Poirot's Christmas -- a locked-door mystery.

message 3: by Jan C (last edited Jul 10, 2011 09:35AM) (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35959 comments I've been looking for The Pale Horse for a while. I may have to break down and buy it online. Or maybe I could just go to the Library.

I think it is supposed to be on PBS Mystery tonight.

But it probably won't be anywhere near to the book.

message 4: by Fatima (new)

Fatima (totteringpileofbooks) Jan C wrote: "I've been looking for The Pale Horse for a while. I may have to break down and buy it online. Or maybe I could just go to the Library.

I think it is supposed to be on PBS Mystery to..."

The Pale Horse seems intriguing. I'll add it to my AC to-read list.

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) The The Complete Parker Pyne, Private Eye is a good little series.........Parker Pyne is more a solver of personal problems than a detective and the stories are very short. They fall into the "cozy" category.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) When I was a teenager I really liked the Tommy and Tuppence books, starting with The Secret Adversary. I've never re-read them, so I don't know how they stand up. It may be only that I liked Tommy and Tuppence because (at least in the first novel) they were so much closer to my age than Poirot and Marple!

message 7: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35959 comments I've re-read some of the Tommy and Tuppence stories and I think they stand up okay. And I will finish re-reading The Secret Adversary, if I ever find it. I think it is lost in a closet.

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) Jan C wrote: "I've re-read some of the Tommy and Tuppence stories and I think they stand up okay. And I will finish re-reading The Secret Adversary, if I ever find it. I think it is lost in a closet."

I will have to get around to re-reading them. I re-read Sayers quite regularly, but for some reason I've never re-read Christie.

message 9: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35959 comments Kim wrote: "Jan C wrote: "I've re-read some of the Tommy and Tuppence stories and I think they stand up okay. And I will finish re-reading The Secret Adversary, if I ever find it. I think it is lost in a clos..."

I re-read Chistie all the time - mainly because I can't always remember which ones I've read or I no longer remember who the guilty culprit was.

It has been a while since I re-read Sayers, although I used to do it all the time. Probably had a lot less on my TBR then.

message 10: by Fatima (new)

Fatima (totteringpileofbooks) Kim wrote: "When I was a teenager I really liked the Tommy and Tuppence books, starting with The Secret Adversary. I've never re-read them, so I don't know how they stand up. It may be only that I..."

I've read complete Tommy & Tuppence books recently. The first three books are amazing, but the other two are a bit less... exciting, not usual Christie.

message 11: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 94 comments My favourite AC book is The Man In The Brown Suit. It's one of the stand alone books, I read it every few years.

message 12: by Dena (new)

Dena | 97 comments Deanne wrote: "My favourite AC book is The Man In The Brown Suit. It's one of the stand alone books, I read it every few years."

I like that one too. I was trying to think of my favorite AC book and came up with about 10. I re-read them about once a year.

message 13: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Jan C wrote: "I've re-read some of the Tommy and Tuppence stories and I think they stand up okay. And I will finish re-reading The Secret Adversary, if I ever find it. I think it is lost in a closet."

It's available for the ereader: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/2059/th...

message 14: by JT (new)

JT (jtishere) | 5 comments I re-read Christie frequently, but I could never quite get on board with Tommy and Tuppence.

The Pale Horse is fantastic. It brings in a supernatural element which was a bit out of the norm for Christie.

Probably my favorite stand-alone of hers is Ordeal by Innocence or Sparkling Cyanide.

message 15: by Fatima (new)

Fatima (totteringpileofbooks) Deanne wrote: "My favourite AC book is The Man In The Brown Suit. It's one of the stand alone books, I read it every few years."

I really liked the summary of The Man in Brown Suit, so it's definitely going to be one of my next AC to-read books. :)

message 16: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (plvannest) Have to say that my favorite stand alone is They Came to Baghdad. The shame is that she never developed Victoria Jones into a series. I think she would have been much better than the Tommy and Tuppence. (I couldn't get on board with it either. They were just too chirpy.)

One of my all time favorites is The Hollow. There are some great characters in it. Lady Lucy is possibly one of the most disturbing characters I have ever read.

message 17: by Jacky (new)

Jacky (jackyann) | 12 comments When I think AC comes into her own is her "twists". So:
Murder on the Orient Express
Death on the Nile
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Cat Among the Pigeons
The Mirror Cracked
Why Didn't they Ask Evans?

I also reckon The Pale Horse. When I was a student nurse (and dinosaurs roamed) there was a persistent tale about a student "specialing" (1 to 1 intensive care, often delegated to senior students) a very ill patient with a mystery disease. She was reading The Pale Horse at the time, recognised the symptoms (will say no more for fear of spoilers....) and reported this to the sister, who told the consultant, who ran the tests.... and she was correct. Only last year I saw this story repeated in a quality newspaper ( what is interesting is that it is always the Pale Horse). I have never had the heart to "snopes" it.

message 18: by Fatima (new)

Fatima (totteringpileofbooks) Jacky wrote: "When I think AC comes into her own is her "twists". So:
Murder on the Orient Express
Death on the Nile
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Cat Among the Pigeons
The Mirror Cracked
Why Didn't they Ask Evans..."

I've added The Pale Horse to my TR list, and your comment about it only makes me want to read it asap to find what the book is all about.

message 19: by кєяo (last edited Oct 15, 2011 03:44PM) (new)

кєяo (echoinggreen) | 58 comments Has anybody read Endless Night? This book is fabulous and one of my favorite AC books. You might like to check out my review.

message 20: by Fatima (new)

Fatima (totteringpileofbooks) Yes, I have read it. It was amazing! One of my favourites. :)

message 21: by кєяo (new)

кєяo (echoinggreen) | 58 comments Fatima wrote: "Yes, I have read it. It was amazing! One of my favourites. :)"

I loved it too. The end-of-the-book twist had me shell-shocked.

message 22: by Mat (new)

Mat As I read what you said I realized that I have to give Pale horse a second chance - I read* it some years ago and didn't like it at all!
My favorite is Curtain – it’s different .

*in translation

message 23: by кєяo (new)

кєяo (echoinggreen) | 58 comments Mat wrote: "As I read what you said I realized that I have to give Pale horse a second chance - I read* it some years ago and didn't like it at all!
My favorite is Curtain – it’s different .

*in..."

Although I liked Pale Horse, that black magic part (or whatever it was) didn't work well for me.

message 24: by Mat (new)

Mat кєяo wrote: "Mat wrote: "As I read what you said I realized that I have to give Pale horse a second chance - I read* it some years ago and didn't like it at all!
My favorite is Curtain – it’s diffe..."

Black magic! Now i remember why i didn't like it!