Richard III discussion

Book Discussions > The Lodestar

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 43 comments What can you guys tell me about The Lodestarby Pamela Belle? Suitable for the Young Adult crowd?

message 2: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
I loved it, but Barb wasn't able to finish it. It's been a good year or two, and there is some sex in it, but not overly done and fit the characters. The marriage doesn't start off very well and I think there might be one that's kind of darkish, but still not overly violent.

I'd recommend you read it yourself and see if it is a fit for you. I think the book is rather hard to find. Wish Belle would get her books on ebook.

message 3: by Plantagenista (new)

Plantagenista | 30 comments I suppose it is exactly what young adults would love, if you think they could handle the sex scenes, which are not explicit, but not shy either. One of the main characters is a young girl with a VERY bad temper growing up from naughty child to a mature young woman.

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianwainwright) | 149 comments I think it would be a question of whether or not the sex scenes would be acceptable. There's nothing lurid, but I am wary of making a judgement as people have such different levels at which they are offended.

It's a book I recommend, but it's not to everyone's taste. (Ricardian books are often like that.) And it is quite rare.

message 5: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 43 comments Thanks, everyone. At the classical school where I teach, the students read a number of things, including the Greek tragedians, the Arthurian legend, and Shakespeare, where sex may even operate as a key element of a story and isn't just there to keep people turning the pages, but when I recommend books to seventh- and eighth-graders for what might be called "pleasure reading," I try to be mindful of what I would have wanted my own son to read at that age, anticipating what conclusions might be drawn by a young person. It's a bit like the age-old question, "Does art imitate life, or does life imitate art?" With high school students, it may be different, but with the younger set, our school asks us to maintain the traditional ethos described by the phrase "in loco parentis." So, I would very much like my students to become interested in the Wars of the Roses and the fate of the two princes in the Tower, but "adult" material gets in the way of my instructional purpose. I have a student who is a fabulous writer. Even as an 8th-grader, he was writing at a publishable standard. I'm hoping I can hook him on the fifteenth century so that he can write the book I'm searching for! In the meantime, I continue to search. Thanks for your input!