Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Specific IR Book Talk > Burn by Crystal Hubbard: spoilers.....

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
This is a thread where we can post our juicy spoilers. I'm sorry, I tried to post it earlier, and received an error message. Happy Reading!

message 2: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

In comparison to some of the other novels that I've read lately, the relationship between Cinder and Gian is moving slow. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not. I'm at the point where they've finally gone out for dinner, and then Gian went home and googled Cinder. I put it down to watch True Blood, and probably read a little more before going to bed.

message 3: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

I do have a few questions for those that have read it already, or at least up until chapter 6.

What are your thoughts on Chip and Karl's interest in Cinder? Do you think Karl will be trouble later on in the book?

Do you think Gian overstepped his boundaries by googling Cinder? I mean, I know she shared some things with him, but would she have shared that much info with him?

message 4: by Reading (new)

Reading Deva | 498 comments I think that chip interest was cute, kinda of a harmless crush, Karl is just ugh, he wasn't interested, he was just in lust. not sure how I feel about the search. and since I have finished the book, I want answer the Karl being trouble question

message 5: by Littybell1 (new)

Littybell1 Harris | 9 comments Well We google each other now so that made to story relevent to our time. There will be trouble with the guy Gian fires and other trouble from her past. I dont want to give too much away for those reading it.

message 6: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Karl's character is over the top! While reading the scene where he was "teaching" Sionne's group class, I figured that wasn't the last of him.

message 7: by PT (new)

PT (spinsterpt) | 319 comments Hmm. I really hate to say this, but I am giving up on "Burn." Don't want to go into the specifics to reveal too much to those still reading, but the last page I read was 95. I'll keep an eye on the thread to see how the discussion goes and add my cents based on the portion of the books I read.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I finished this book, and I thought it was excellent. The violence/abuse parts were very harrowing. I think that there was a lot of intent focus on the psychology of abuse in a marriage, and it gave me something to think about.

Crystal Hubbard is a very detailed writer. She doesn't describe anything by half, and I could see how that might be too much when it comes to the violent aspects. I know her food descriptions made me really hungry.

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1383 comments I actually like what she finally did with Karl. I like that she made a line that he would go up to but simply would not cross. You can be angry/jealous at or even strongly dislike someone but that doesn't mean you'll let them die or won't help them when they need it.

Actually I loved the entire ending. I am glad that she empowered Cinder to the extent that she was able to rescue herself. She needed that.

message 10: by Firstlady (new)

Firstlady | 66 comments I just could not get into it. The prolouge COMPLETLY through me off. I had to flip to flip to the back of the book to read the description. I thought the "grandpa and his family business" was confusing. Must have put the book down 6 times out of frustration.

*I agree with the description of the violence/abuse. I definatly had to put it down or I was going to cry.

*Crystal Hubbard is a fantastic author but couldnt get in "depth" with the plot and characters. I felt like I "floating on top of the water waiting for the shark to pull me under" to get into the book. Jaws just swam by.

*Had to force myself to finish it.

*wasnt hyped up about the "karate kid tournament". All i thought about was Ralph Macheo.

*CHIP was my favorite. You just wanted to love him to pieces

@Michelle. It didnt bother me about Gian googling Cinder. It gave me a more mental pictures of her abuse.

HOWEVER,will still read her books but this was not my favorite.

message 11: by T (new)

T | 24 comments This was a hard book to read not because of the characters but rather the abuse and anger issues. I applaud the author in showing how Cinder moved from having no power to taking it back and then some. The character Karl was so real. There are many who have lost jobs and are angry and find different ways to hide that anger, in being belligerent or thinking they are "all that".

Enjoyed Chip and Zae. Hope they get their own book.

The character Aja made me realize that there are so many weapons in your home to defend oneself with and they were not knives either.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
Everyone raised good points. Thanks for participating in the discussion.

I agree that this book wasn't easy to read in some parts. It was downright horrifying how someone can treat the person they claim to love, who has committed to spend their lives with them, this way. But there was triumph in how Cinder overcame that and came out the victor, emotionally and physically.

message 13: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (last edited Aug 16, 2011 07:54PM) (new)

Hi Ladies!

I'm sorry I've fallen off with this one. I started taking some classes, and this semester is really intense! Anyway, Like Firstlady, I'm just having a hard time finishing it I do like that setting where the story is taking place, but I'm struggling to get into the romance. I'm going to try to finish the rest in one sitting within the next day or so, and I'll post again then.

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I hope school gets less rough for you, Michelle. You can do it!

message 15: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

I finally finished it! I'm not sure if it was because I had to keep picking it up, and putting it down for various reasons, but the couple just lacked "umph" to me, and I had a hard time getting in to Gian and Cinder's relationship. So, I ended it giving it only 2 stars.

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Sorry you didn't enjoy it more, Michelle.

message 17: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Me too. I know I was dealing with a lot of distractions, and that probably didn't help much.

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

It's hard to get into some books when a lot of going on. I hope you like you next read more.

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly I read this book a few months back and I liked it I just found the book a wee bit to slow and the relationship between Gian and Cinder just fell short for me but I do want to try other works by the author.