We LoveFilm discussion

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I'm watching Hoarders today. It seem to be some marathon or something. It is so sad to know that people live like that but sometimes I really just want to shake the crap outta some of these people. It's crazy.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) I feel the same way. But it's like a train wreck you just can't turn away.

One of my favorites was a woman who had to duct tape her freezer shut because she had so much in it. She had some items 3 years beyond x date but she claimed they were still good because they hadn't puffed up yet.
The pro they hired to clean up the place had to run out of the house gagging when he got to the crisper bins in her fridge.

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments What??? That's crazy. I haven't seen that one, Michael. Oh my goodness! I watched one where the son inherited his father's house. Now, the father was a hoarder himself and obviously that son picked up after him. He had so much stuff that he didn't even have a pathway like some of them do. He was walking on top of the shit. He had a 2nd floor and the only way to get to it was to climb on some stuff and scaled the rail and climb on the stuff on the steps while holding on, praying his fool behind didn't fall. It was so bad that it was all in the yard and everything. The crew couldn't help him.

What's so sad about them is that they don't care if the are on the verge of losing their homes, family, etc. Their mind is stuck on the crap they are hoarding.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Was that the one where the father sat in the yard drinking? When they started cleaning his apt. it was full of thousands of wine bottles.

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments No. The father had got sick and called that son to live with him and take care of him. So the elderly father was stuck in a bed dying with the stuff around him. He died and left the house to that guy. The other son was mad b/c he didn't like the condition of the house and believe that helped the father die. It was one of the worst houses they have shown. In fact, there was so much crap and stuff the ceilings were falling apart. I'm surprised the house was still standing.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Amazing!
I watched about 10-12 episodes and had to force myself to leave because I was getting really pissed. I know irrational but I was on the verge of screaming at the TV.
I have a friend's sister like this she will not throw a scrap of print away. Newspapers, magazines,books stacked throughout her house. There are paths to get from room to room She believes she will read them someday.

So sad.

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I can't even understand that logic. I would have to come in her house and throw all that away. I could see me now getting in a fight with one of my loves because I was throwing stuff out the house. One of my former co-workers was like this. His wife would throw stuff out and he bring it back in. She had to go to a dumpster far away from the house and throw stuff out. The man had a porta potty (the large one) in their garage. Who buy something like that?

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) LOL Oh Samantha that is priceless. But here in New Orleans a lot of people OWN porta potties they bring them out during the Mardi Gras season.

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments What!!! LOL. I can't imagine owning that. Why do they need them during that time? Are people using their bathrooms?

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Forget to mention my son in law is a hoarder. I went in his attic to do some work for him and the joists were groaning. He has a work at home business and you walk over stuff in his office. He's the guy who has 10 inoperable lawnmowers that he will fix one day. My ex and I wish the house would burn down when they are vacation.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) At Mardi Gras time people ore camped on the street for hours drinking eating and they may have kids with them. there is no place to go soo thus the bring along porta potty.

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Ok but are these strangers that would use your porta potty? I don't know if I like the idea of that.

Have you guys try talking to your son in law? It really is heart breaking to have a love one live in those conditions.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) If a person brings a porta potty on the parade route they usually put a lock on it. You have to know the person to use it.

I'll go even further in my youth I knew guys that would attach a rubber like device with a tube to a bottle strapped to their leg well you get the picture.

As far as son in law .. thank the lord the mowers aren't all over the yard. We have talked to him and he laughs it off and he allows us to clean it up periodically. He actually does it himself but then he accumulates again. There should be and there probably is an AA type group for these people but getting them to go is as tough as making an alcoholic admit he has a problem.

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments OMG! LOL!

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) I know

That's desperation

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) But a man's got to do what a man has to do

message 17: by Davina, The Modster (last edited Jul 10, 2011 12:19PM) (new)

Davina D. | 693 comments Mod
Ugh! I can't watch these shows. I love my home too much. It's my sanctuary and I'm always decorating and redecorating. When my husband goes away on business trips he says he's always looking forward to coming back home and see what I've done with our house! I love experimenting with new designs and concepts.

I could never understand how people choose to live in such squalor! My husband was quite fond of a cleaning TV show that featured two British ladies who go around to people's houses and clean up after them. It first started in the UK and then they moved over here. Can't recall the name of the show right now, but man the amount crap people hoarded in their houses was just madness. They really need to have an AA type of setting for these people because that shit ain't normal!

message 18: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Davina, I don't get it either. I'm glad that I don't live that way. It's pure insanity. The last episode I watched last night, the poor elderly woman didn't have a clean spot to walk on in the house. She had heat, no plumbing in the house and she used 7 blankets to keep warm. She was using the side of her house as a bathroom or because she was so old and couldn't always get outside, she used little bottles and bags as bathroom. I mean literally living in her own mess. What really angered me was that she had 9 kids and none of them helped her until her daughter called and asked for it. Then only 3 showed up and the two boys couldn't believe their Mom was living like that. The episode was so sad by the end I was a crying mess and I knew it was time t end my marathon. Left me emotionally drained.

message 19: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Davina D. | 693 comments Mod
9 kids and that poor old lady was living in her own mess?!? I swear they should charge the lot of them for parental abuse!!! How can you be so indifferent to the person who gave you life? Loved and nurtured you until you were strong enough to leave the nest?

I can never understand people who are so cruel to their own parents. It breaks my heart. I could never do that to my mom. I love her too much.

message 20: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Davina, I'm the same way. I would have been straighten that out if she was my Mom. I still run up in my Mom's house whether she is there or not and check up on things. Have to do that because my Mom has a habit of not telling you if something is wrong. That was why I was a sobbing mess by the end of the story. One of the daughters came in her "fake" looking uggs and carrying her dog who I dubbed "fifi" to see what the other 3 kids were doing. That one sister lost it and got on her about it. Heartbreaking.

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Talked about my son in law being a hoarder. Well just 2 hours ago I find I am an enabler. He called me because he is helping his sister move asked if I had a tool to take something apart. His sister lives a short walk from my home so I went over with the tool. I ended up helping him take apart this piece of shit Gazebo that he was taking back to his house! In the rain! What an idiot I am!

message 22: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments LMAO! That is too funny. You're not an enabler, Michael. He didn't tell you that he was taking the Gazebo back to his house to hoard. OMG! I'm sorry but that is sooo funny.

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Samantha wrote: "LMAO! That is too funny. You're not an enabler, Michael. He didn't tell you that he was taking the Gazebo back to his house to hoard. OMG! I'm sorry but that is sooo funny."

His father was there. He just shook his head. I walked in the house and just had to leave she had plenty of help but it was a disaster.

My ex and I moved multiple times we flipped houses and we were so organized about it. We never asked for for help. Yeah it's a lot of work but if you do it right it goes pretty easily.