Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments My cousin and his ladyfriend are getting married in September. Without going into too much detail, they live next door to my 77 year old grandma and she is "expected" to do all of the cooking for them (and others... it's ridiculous).

For the shower, I'd like to get the ladyfriend some cookbooks to hopefully give them the hint that they need to step up and maybe prepare a meal once a week or so, to let my grandma off the hook.

Anyone have some suggestions for books with very basic recipes for beginners, that contain passable meals?

Thanks!
K

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I like The I Don't Know How to Cook Book and Betty Crocker for super simple recipes.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24100 comments Mod
The Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. In a binder.

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Homes-Ga...

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I hate cookbooks. I hate recipes in general.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Jul 09, 2011 06:58PM) (new)

I don't hate cookbooks. I hate cooking. I actually kind of love cookbooks. Pointless to look at their beautiful pictures and enticing words, as I will never make any of the recipes.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Recipes aren't cooking. In order to cook you have to feel what you're doing. Follow a recipe word for word and you most often get crap.

Okay a bottle of wine may have made me a little obnoxious about this subject. Forgive me please.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's it! Thank you oh Bun-wonder.

message 8: by Félix (last edited Jul 09, 2011 07:09PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) I have. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

message 9: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Larry, are you being crabby again. :) *hugs*

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) No, I'm good Janice. Thanks for asking, though.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Another good one [Book: The Art of Simple Food]
and this:

Cook's Illustrated The New Best Recipe

message 12: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments Larry wrote: "Recipes aren't cooking. In order to cook you have to feel what you're doing. Follow a recipe word for word and you most often get crap.

Okay a bottle of wine may have made me a little obnoxious ..."

Love this post!

Crap! It's all crap...I hate it all!

message 13: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments Thanks everyone! These are some great suggestions... I agree that cookbooks are not entirely awesome, but these cats who NEVER, EVER cook need a jumping off point and I'm hoping this will do the trick!

message 14: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sometimes it can be hard getting cats to cook.

message 15: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments These cats are worthless... you'd think they didn't have thumbs or something.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Here are a few good ones:

How to Cook Everything: The Basics
There's a whole line of How to Cook Everything books by this author, and I find them to be really handy references.

Student's Go Vegan Cookbook: Over 135 Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegan Recipes
OK, they may not be vegan but neither am I. These recipes are super simple, assume you know nothing and that you have limited ingredients and tools at hand.

Jamie's Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals
Jamie Oliver books are beautiful and make great gifts. Great, mouth-watering photos. This is the book he wrote to coincide with the TV program he did in West Virginia trying to get people to cook real food. It is simple and well-explained.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael This is the most basic cookbook I've ever seen.

Where's Mom Now That I Need Her?: Surviving Away from Home

message 18: by Farrah (new)

Farrah I'm a cookbook collecting addict. Aside from the recipes, there can be much to learn from them. I rival Bonnie Slotnick on W 10TH.

Betty Crocker's cookbook is a great one for a gift. Covers all bases and skill levels.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments BunWat wrote: "Putting the Jamie Oliver book on my toread right now!"

I love the way he puts his money where his mouth is. He really is advocating change, and starting at the right levels to affect change.

message 20: by Cyril (new)

Cyril I used the Frugal Gourmet quite a bit when I was first on my own.

message 21: by Lee (new)

Lee | 703 comments http://www.tasteofhome.com/

Have subscribed to this for over ten years. Easy recipes sent in from folks from all over US & CA. Great pics. Has come in real handy.
Get her a subscription...or have her sign up to the site.

message 22: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I second Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book: Gift Edition for easy recipes that start with the basics (food safety, preparation, measurements, substitutions etc)

and this: The Soup Bible

The best soup recipe book I’ve ever seen- it also starts out with basic stocks and builds up from there.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Does anyone besides Sally use Cook's Illustrated? Are these the same recipes they do on America's Test Kitchen, or different?

There was the most fascinating article on Christopher Kimball, CEO of Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen in the NYT magazine. Even though I hate cooking and every recipe on ATK is hideously overcomplicated for me, I love watching it. I love the taste tests and the equipment tests too.

message 24: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Lobstergirl wrote: "The Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. In a binder.

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Homes-Ga..."

You can add lots of good things to the cookbook library, but this is a staple!

message 25: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7073 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Does anyone besides Sally use Cook's Illustrated? Are these the same recipes they do on America's Test Kitchen, or different?

There was the most fascinating article on Christopher Kimball, CEO of..."

I subscribe to Cook's Illustrated, both the magazine and the web site. Love the science/cooking connection.
Recipes are the same as America's Test Kitchen. Some videos (fascinating) are available on the (paid) web site.

message 26: by Emily (new)

Emily Elst (emily_elst) | 1032 comments Every kitchen needs The Cook's Companion

I was given this as a 21st gift, anytime I get a new ingredient to try this is the first place I look.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments BunWat wrote: "I've been a fan of Jamie since way back in the Naked Chef days."

Love me some Jamie! I was disappointed he didn't actual cook naked...

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I am happy for Jamie to keep his cloths on. I imagine (not too visually) that he is a bit flabby underneath all that English weather clothing.

I have loads of cookbooks. I love browsing through them looking for the perfect combinations for dinner parties. With the variety of tastes friends have, it's always a fun challenge.

message 29: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Nice photographs.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I want that cookbook.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Is she trying to tell you something?

message 33: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) Well, the Kanamits and I are quite fond of the cookbook "To Serve Man."

I will say though, the recipes do vary from person to person ;)

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Ha. No. I don't get to see her often so I never really look at it properly. Then she starts to tell me about something I would like in it and we are back to loaning.

I do need to start looking fabulous, though.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.