What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Game of Triumphs (The Game of Triumphs, #1)
This topic is about The Game of Triumphs
SOLVED: Children's/YA > Wheel of fortune [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jena (new)

Jena | 40 comments Any idea when it was published?

message 2: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments There is this one book by Lisa Papademetriou that is about cards.

message 3: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 152 comments It is called Drop.

message 4: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 02, 2011 11:10AM) (new)

Rebecca (liralin) | 197 comments Could it be "The Game of Triumphs" by Laura Powell? Looks like it was originally published in early 2009 (I think in the UK) and is being released or re-released in the US this month. It has references to the Arcanum, a character called the Hanged Man, etc.

2009 cover:
The Game of Triumphs (Game of Triumphs, #1) by Laura Powell

New cover:
The Game of Triumphs by Laura Powell

Description:

At an exclusive Soho party one rainy night, Cat stumbles into an ancient and dangerous game of fortune. A mysterious quartet of game masters deal out challenges—moves that unfold in the Arcanum, a dream-scape version of our world. Success can earn players fame, fortune, inspiration. Failure can be deadly.

At first Cat is skeptical, but undeniably curious. And when a journey into the Arcanum reveals a shocking glimpse of her family's past, Cat begins to understand what drives people to play. Sometimes it's greed or longing—other times desperation. She must know more.

Right now, the game masters hold all the cards. But Cat finds others like herself on the fringes of the game. And together an unlikely group of chancers hope to change the rules in their favor.

In the Game of Triumphs, the risks are high, but the rewards may just be worth dying for. . .

Google Books provides a pretty good preview. Scanning through it shows the scene where she finds the card which is basically an invitation to the Arcanum, living with her aunt, a missing sister, meeting people who go by "King of Swords", "King of Wands", "Queen of Cups", and "Queen of Pentacles".

There is also a sequel: The Master of Misrule

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (lltoo) | 143 comments Oooh, good find! That has to be it! Google Books shows the last line of the book: "At last, the true Game of Triumphs may begin."

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (liralin) | 197 comments Great! I'm so glad it was the right one! You're very welcome.

I had actually tried looking for this a couple of times, and hadn't come up with any good leads. And then just a few days ago, I happened to be reading a book blog that was talking about new and upcoming releases in YA, and saw this. I almost discounted it as being too new, but the description sounded close enough that I decided I should post anyway, just in case. Then I found the earlier publication date and the preview on Google and got excited. :)

Really glad I was able to help solve this one for you. :)