The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Does The Hunger Games have social commentary?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jazz What do you think?

MizziQ Yes definitely.

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Harrison It's a bit like the class system in society - the rich (Capitol) gets richer whilst the poorer (the Districts) are oppressed. Just reading the book makes you want to rise up against the injustice!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it also shows how the rich/elite try to keep the poor divided so that they don't band together to overthrow them.

Kerri Any dystopian book will have a social agenda. Some people will see it and be inspired by it, and others will just think it's entertaining.

Annie In addition to what Ann mentioned, I think the book also reflects on how we let the government impinge on our own personal lives, for 'security.'
In the Hunger Games, the government takes children and has them fight in order to maintain peace and order in the districts and prevent uprisings.
In today's world, we let the government invade our personal privacy and that of our family (have you been to an airport lately?) for 'security' which is mostly just theatrics.

Megan Baxter Not to mention the pointed critique of reality TV.

Sonja These books also point out the human tendency to accept personal advantages as earned rather than the contributions of the accident of birth.

Elle One of the reasons I love this series is that it doesn't talk down to young readers or oversimplify. It doesn't wag its fingers at kids and say "war is wrong." It asks them to think about when war might be just, and what actions in war are justified. At what point do you become as bad as what you're fighting? It doesn't end with victors and losers, because nobody wins in war. There are only survivors. I love the way she lets her readers find these truths and ask these questions without preaching at them.

Megan Baxter Elle wrote: "It doesn't end with victors and losers, because nobody wins in war. There are only survivors."

Hear, hear! This is one of the aspects of the whole trilogy I like the most, and the impact that war and violence have on individuals and society is discussed in a powerful but non-preachy way.

Natalie Definitely. It speaks to our flash-over-substance culture, and how we live in luxury while so many suffer, but we ignore it, because many of us aren't face to face with it every day.
It also deals with our obsession with reality television, and how we don't care who we hurt, so long as we're entertained.

message 12: by Elle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle Yeah, it struck me that Collins must've gotten the idea from Survivor. Not to denigrate the show, though. However "real" it is, it's entertaining.

Kirby "One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." - Kurt Vonnegut