Latino and Latin American Literature discussion

La Invencion de Morel/ The Invention of Morel pg. 1-54

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 19 comments This is where we will post our comments, reactions, insights, etc. about the first section of La Invencion de Morel.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 19 comments Our mid point that Esther was so kind to find for us, is the section that begins, if you're reading the English translation "I think I must be in hell. The two suns are unbearable". Or the original Spanish version "Esto es un infierno. Los soles están abrumadores."
I have the New York Review Books english translation by Ruth L.C. Simms. This mid point is on pg. 54

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 19 comments So far, i'm intrigued. We don't yet know what the situation is with the main character. Is he dead? Are the others dead? Is there some sort of time travel going on?

I also found it interesting that his aversion to the "gypsy" turns into a romantic obsession.

Anyone else have any thoughts so far?

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen (jyf14) | 4 comments I kept asking myself who was real and who wasn't, but interestingly enough I had not considered the possibility of some time traveling, hmm, go figure =p

Regarding his obsession with Faustine, I kept wondering if it's just as a result of him having nothing to do while he is stuck on an island, but that brings me to the first question again, are these people ghosts, or are they real?

We shall find out =]

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 19 comments Jenniffer wrote: "I kept asking myself who was real and who wasn't, but interestingly enough I had not considered the possibility of some time traveling, hmm, go figure =p

Regarding his obsession with Faustine, I k..."

Yaayyy! Thanks for commenting, Jenniffer. I was beginning to think I was on my own on this one hahaha.

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 19 comments You are probably right about him not having anything else to do on the island. Although his prejudice initially is kind of strange considering he's a criminal on the run. I really want to know what crime he committed as well. I'm wondering if we will ever find out. Maybe he's a paranoid schizophrenic and he's hallucinating all these people! (Probably not, I know, but there are so many questions at this point, that it leaves room for many possibilities :P).
The fact that he sees the people, but they don't see him leaves a lot in the air.

New York Review Books | 1 comments I love--and I might be going to far here, since a lot of this is tangential to the actual book--the way that this book relates to film/tv. For Lost fans out there, at one point Sawyer is seen reading The Invention of Morel on the island. For those who watched Lost this is hardly a coincidence. Also, it was the basis for Alain Resnais's 'Last Year at Marienbad', from a script by Alain Robbe-Grillet, the famed French nouveau-romain author. How do you see the book in terms of obsession with celebrity? And do you think culture, whether books, movies or tv, can adjust our perception of reality or memory of what has happened?

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 19 comments New York Review Books wrote: "I love--and I might be going to far here, since a lot of this is tangential to the actual book--the way that this book relates to film/tv. For Lost fans out there, at one point Sawyer is seen readi..."

Hi there and welcome New York Review Books! Yes, I definitely see the connection to LOST. I've only seen the first season of LOST, but I can see how some of the elements of The Invention of Morel inspired it. There are "the others" on the island in the show, just as the strangers on the island in the book. I haven't finished the book yet as I've been hoping more people would join the discussion. I'll have to get back to you on the obsession with celebrity question as I'm not sure how it relates yet. :D

Latino and Latin American Literature

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Invention of Morel (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Alain Robbe-Grillet (other topics)