Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Medieval Books

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Aly is so frigging bored | 857 comments Mod
I am having again a "medieval romance" faze :D I need help, pretty please *fluttering eyelashes*. What would you recommend?
I read the medieval stuff from:
Judith McNaught
The Wolf and the Dove from Kathleen E. Woodiwiss, which I didn't like that much
Julie Garwood
Jude Deveraux
Johanna Lindsey
Kimberly Killion, but not the erotic stuff
Always from Lynsay Sands
Midnight Warrior and The Golden Barbarian from Iris Johansen

Thank you :)

message 2: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1912 comments Mod
Kris Kennedy!! She writes fabulous medievals. And I don't even "like" medievals! Her new one is called DEFIANT. Just a great writer.

Also, Laura Kinsale had a couple but I think they were a bit controversial. Maybe Janga could tell you more about them?

I've also heard good things about Jill Bennet's medievals but since I'm not a big medieval fan I've never read them.

Thank you Manda!! You rock :))
BTW I can't wait to read your book :*

message 4: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
I've read both the Kinsale medievals. The first is written in something approximating the english of the time. All the way through. I hate dialect (and therefore, generally, don't like scots books!) but I found this worked. The relationship between the hero and heroine is also unusual--he's a relatively naive young knight and she's a sophisticated temptress with a highly problematic history. I really liked it.

The second one is probably the more controversial. The hero was, more or less, a bad guy from the first book. The sexual relationship between the hero and heroine is, I guess you could say, dominant/submissive? (She's the dominant one). And the book is about, in some ways, the city states of Italy and the very dark politics of the time.

Having said that--and it took a lot for me to get over the sexual relationship--I ended up really liking it.

There are a few early Jo Beverly medievals you might look up. She's always worth reading.

message 5: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments Aly - try Jo Beverley's DARK CHAMPION and LORD OF MIDNIGHT (in that order). I loved them. She wrote a few more too but they didn't stick with me like those 2 did. Madeline Hunter also wrote some really awesome medievals - BY ARRANGEMENT, BY POSSESSION, BY DESIGN. Check her website for the order. I think she wrote a couple more after those that kind of tie in together.

message 6: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1912 comments Mod
Thanks, Aly:)

message 7: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
I have read a few by Julia Latham and Hannah Howell. I've enjoyed the few that I have read.

Thankes guys :D I can't wait to try them :)

Dls I have no prob with dominant/submissive stuff, but the male hase to be the dominant one :D the other way round is off putting for me :D

message 9: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
Hm. He's a very alpha male. You would have to read the book to see what I mean.

message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments Carrie Lofty wrote two great medievals: What A Scoundrel Wants and Scoundrel's Kiss. The first is loosely connected to the Robin Hood legend--the hero's Will Scarlett--and the second takes place in Spain and has an opium-addicted heroine. Definitely not your usual historicals. :)

message 11: by DeeDee (new)

DeeDee (deedee97) | 27 comments I too love the Jo Beverley Medieval books and recommend them. You Might also like Brenda Joyce. She has a family saga that starts out in Medieval times (the de Warrennes) I think the first one is The Conqueror. You will like this especially if you enjoy Johanna Lindsay :) x

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahi) | 14 comments I loved A Bed of Spices by Barbara Samuel. It was recently reissued as an ebook and was the best 99 cents I ever spent on a book (now it's up to 2.99 but well worth the price).

message 13: by Pj (new)

Pj Ausdenmore (pjpuppymom) | 100 comments Monica McCarty writes wonderful medievals! I highly recommend her.

I'll second Manda's rec of Kris Kennedy too. Love her books!

Maya Banks just published (this month) a medieval called IN BED WITH A HIGHLANDER. It's book one in a trilogy (books 2 & 3 issued late Sept. and Oct.) and it's fabulous! One of the best medievals I've read since the early Julie Garwood books on my keeper shelves. I gave it 5 stars and highly recommend.

message 14: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I'm late reading this thread because I'm not a big fan of Medievals, but I love Kris Kennedy's books. And for many years, Teresa Medeiros's Charming the Prince was the only Medieval on my keeper shelves. It will always be one of my favorite funny reads.