The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

2011 Group Reads - Archives > The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta (last edited Jul 10, 2011 04:49PM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) All:

Please comment on the proposed schedule below, especially if you think it is too fast or two slow.

Notre-Dame of Paris (The Hunchback of Notre Dame) by Victor Hugo

Week 1 - Week of July 11 - Introduction and Book 1 (up to page 75)
Week 2 - Week of July 18 - Book 2 (up to page 122)
Week 3 - Week of July 25 - Book 3 (up to page 153)
Week 4 - Week of August 1 - Book2 4 and 5 (up to page 202)
Week 5 - Week of August 8 - Book 6 (up to page 244)
Week 6 - Week of August 15 - Books 7 (up to page 304)
Week 7 - Week of August 22 - Book 8 (up to page 352)
Week 8 - Week of August 29 - Books 9 and 10 (up to page 451)
Week 9 - Week of September 5 - Book 11 (up to page 498/end of novel)

message 2: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments I better get reading!!!

message 3: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) If you skip the Introductory Notes (which I plan to--I usually read these after the novel), the first week is only about 45 pages.

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana | 21 comments But the discussion begins the 15th? Or did I get the date wrong..? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I just didn't get all the details... :-s
Thank you all!

message 5: by Silver (last edited Jul 09, 2011 05:32PM) (new)

Silver Originally I was intending to start on the 15h but than Madge K said something about starting on the 11th

message 6: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) We can probably push it back a week if people are still buying the book, finishing up Jane Eyre, etc.

I'll leave that decision up to Silver. I was just trying to break down the book into reasonably sized chunks, but the dates can change if they need to.

message 7: by Silver (new)

Silver Originally I thought to start on the 15th since the poll started so late to give people more time to prepare for the reading, and I figured we could do a short story in the between time to give people something to do while waiting.

message 8: by Nemo (new)

Nemo (nemoslibrary) From my reading of the book, I think it can be roughly divided into 4 parts: Books 1-2, Books 3-5, Books 6-8 and Books 9-11. It'd be better to have breaks between Books 5 and 6, and between Books 8 and 9.

message 9: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) @ Nemo: If we split it up like that, i don't know that we can reasonably expect discussion to begin tomorrow.

Moreover, I can predict that I, at least, would not be able to keep up with that schedule.

But I'll let others weigh in.

message 10: by Silver (new)

Silver That would be a bit if of a rigours reading schedule I think. We usually like to give readers a bit more time to read and digest between chapters/sections of reading.

message 11: by Nemo (last edited Jul 10, 2011 10:12AM) (new)

Nemo (nemoslibrary) Loretta and Silver,

I wasn't suggesting that we finish it in 4 weeks. Not at all. :) I just thought it'd be better to have breaks between books 5 and 6, 8 and 9, because there are logical divisions between them (as I understood it).

message 12: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) @ Nemo: Okay, I'll try to shift the breaks around and see where that leaves us. Check back in 20 minutes or so. :)

message 13: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Okay, see above for adjusted schedule. It shortens it by one week, and shifts the breaks. The first two weeks are pretty ambitious (90 pages the first week, 80 the second) but after that they get shorter, with the second to last week also being kind of long. Looks good?

message 14: by Silver (new)

Silver I think it is a bit much to do book 1 and 2 both in the same week. I would split those into speerate weeks.

In order to keep the breaks that Nemo sugguest I would say maybe

Book 1
Book 2 and 3
Book 4 and 5
Book 6
Book 7
Book 8
Book 9
Book 10 and 11

message 15: by Nemo (last edited Jul 10, 2011 11:07AM) (new)

Nemo (nemoslibrary) Loretta wrote: "Okay, see above for adjusted schedule. It shortens it by one week, and shifts the breaks. The first two weeks are pretty ambitious (90 pages the first week, 80 the second) but after that they get s..."

Keeping books 1 and 2 together is fine. It may seem long on page counts, but there is nothing meaty, just a spectacular introduction.

Let's give two weeks to books 3-5. They are the central piece of the whole book, and will generate many interesting discussions, I think.

Thanks for taking the trouble to set up the schedule. It looks good without my nitpicking. :)

Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀  | 3 comments The schedule looks great...thanks for all your hard work.

message 17: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) So final decisions (since I'm not sure we reached a consensus) - Silver, what do you think of Nemo's suggestion that we keep the schedule mostly as is, but allow two weeks to read Books 3, 4, and 5?

message 18: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Or we could do 3 one week and 4 and 5 the next?

message 19: by Silver (last edited Jul 10, 2011 04:36PM) (new)

Silver Well I really think we should break 1 and 2. I think it is a bit too much to do them both in the same week.

And yes I think that we should also spilt up 3,4, 5 so not to have all three done at once.

message 20: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Alright, one last schedule attempt.

Oh, and FYI in case anyone thinks otherwise--I will not be moderating the discussion. LOL. I just volunteered for the scheduling aspect.

message 21: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Alright, I think we have a final schedule. 9 weeks, takes into account where Nemo thinks the novel should "break" and is also in reasonably sized chunks. The largest chunk is putting Books 9 and 10 together--if we feel like that is too ambitious, then we can change that when we get closer to that section, but for now I think the early parts of the novel, at least, are in good shape.

Agreed?

message 22: by Nemo (new)

Nemo (nemoslibrary) Agreed. :)

To those who watched the movies, the last few books may seem a bit dragged out. But there's nothing we can do about it.

message 23: by MadgeUK (last edited Jul 10, 2011 07:04PM) (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Silver wrote: "Originally I was intending to start on the 15h but than Madge K said something about starting on the 11th"

Thanks for this Silver. I just assumed we would be starting immediately after JE Silver but if folks want a break to catch their breath that's perfectly OK.

Is Loretta moderating?

message 24: by Silver (new)

Silver MadgeUK wrote: "Silver wrote: "Originally I was intending to start on the 15h but than Madge K said something about starting on the 11th"

Tanks for this Silver. I just assumed we would be starting immediately aft..."

She was just helping me with the schedule because I do not own a hard copy of the book.

And I am ok with going on the 11th if everyone else is fine with it.

message 25: by MadgeUK (last edited Jul 10, 2011 07:07PM) (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Oh dear, I got mixed up and read Loretta's post as Silver's. So Silver is moderating - good. Sorry for the mistake.

(Edited.)

message 26: by Silver (new)

Silver I will be moderating

message 27: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments It is 3am here - I think I'm probably half asleep!!

message 28: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Cool. Just wanted to make sure we all knew I wouldn't be moderating.

Thanks Silver! Now to read the book. :)

message 29: by Historybuff93 (new)

Historybuff93 | 287 comments The schedule looks great!

message 30: by Terri Lynn (new)

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) I will read it much faster. I have read it before and this is a re-read for me. Good choice of a book to read!

message 31: by Den (new)

Den Slader | 2 comments Just joined recently. This is my first book with the group. Is the schedule at the top of this thread the current/active schudule? Thank you.

message 32: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Yes it is. I updated it to reflect the comments that everyone had. Book 1 for this week (which is only about 45 pages long).

message 33: by Den (new)

Den Slader | 2 comments Loretta wrote: "Yes it is. I updated it to reflect the comments that everyone had. Book 1 for this week (which is only about 45 pages long)."

Thank you.

message 34: by Silver (new)

Silver Just to let everyone know I will be gone for the first week of August on vacation, but hopefully I will be able to have Week 4's discussion posted up the night before I leave so you can begin the discussion, and I will rejoin upon my return.

If for some reason I do not get the thread opened up for Week 4 before leaving, than I welcome any one else to open up the thread if they are willing so discussion does not have to be delayed.

message 35: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments I am also on holiday during the first week of August and my hotel has no wi-fi connection! I look forward to the posts which will surely accrue in our absence!

message 36: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 317 comments We will try to keep the home fires burning, Madge. You have a great holiday and enjoy Sidmouth. I hope that you don't have any GR withdrawal symptoms while you're away!

You have a great vacation too, Silver.

message 37: by Gaijinmama (last edited Jul 29, 2011 01:05AM) (new)

Gaijinmama | 8 comments I've been looking forward to joining you all on this one. It's been in one of my many TBR boxes (ran out of shelf space ages ago.) I should finish my current read tonight and then I will jump in!

message 38: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 317 comments Gaijinmama wrote: "I've been looking forward to joining you all on this one. It's been in one of my many TBR boxes (ran out of shelf space ages ago. I should finish my current read tonight and then I will jump in!"

That would be great. The more the merrier!

message 39: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Welcome Gaijinmama! I look forward to reading your contributions upon my return:)

message 40: by Silver (new)

Silver Just wanted to let everyone know that as it turns out I will be leaving a little later than I thought. So there will be no problems for Week 4 as I will in fact be home the first of August to post it up.

message 41: by Silver (new)

Silver I remember seeing that post and thought it sounded like it was a little ahead, and I went back to comment on it and noiced you had taken it down than. I can put it up for you when I start Week 4.

The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Notre-Dame de Paris (other topics)