Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

Chit Chat > Who's doing what?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Anyone reading anything good this weekend?

message 2: by Melki (new)

Melki I plan to finish Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" by the end of the day, then I have the wonderful, exciting job of deciding what to read next. I love it!

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) Just finished A Land of Two halves a travel book on New Zealand enjoyed it The author hitch hiked around and good stories of people met. Bit more e reverent than Bill Bryson and prob better for it. Going to start The Snowman by Jo Nesbo the book of the month for other discussion group

message 4: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) I'm going to finish Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal this weekend!!!

Can't wait to get back to Cell.

message 5: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I'm going to finish Tomorrow River this weekend. We've been looking at houses, too....a grueling process.

message 6: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Robert wrote: "Just finished A Land of Two halves a travel book on New Zealand enjoyed it The author hitch hiked around and good stories of people met. Bit more e reverent than Bill Bryson and prob better for it..."

I've been curious about The Snowman. Looking forward to your thoughts!

message 7: by Melki (new)

Melki Robert, have you read any other Jo Nesbo? This book has been recommended for fans of Stieg Larsson's books.

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) Melki wrote: "Robert, have you read any other Jo Nesbo? This book has been recommended for fans of Stieg Larsson's books."

I have just started The Snowman and good so far. Seems a bit like Steig Larsson ( What is it with Norse that have to describe food)The other book for other group was The Onion field and really could not get into that

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Stacey, I know what you mean about house hunting! Must be the summer for it. We looked at about 10 houses in two days and made a decision.

Robert and Melki, I've tried a Nesbo book but wasn't able to finish. If I hear good things about The Snowman, I should probably try again.

message 10: by Melki (new)

Melki Hahaha! I don't remember many food descriptions from "Girl W/ Dragon Tattoo" - but I remember they were ALWAYS eating on "The Sopranos." Very bad show for dieters.

message 11: by Melki (new)

Melki Oh, yes...decided to go with Kate Atkinson's "Case Histories." Only about 50 pages in and I want to just read the whole series straight through.
I believe some in this group have read this one...

message 12: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Melki wrote: "Oh, yes...decided to go with Kate Atkinson's "Case Histories." Only about 50 pages in and I want to just read the whole series straight through.
I believe some in this group have read this one..."

I have read Case Histories well listened actually. Just love the way Atkinson weaves so many stories together.

message 13: by Carol (last edited Jul 10, 2011 11:17AM) (new)

Carol (actutor) I'm reading Started Early, Took My Dog, and I am curious about how all of the stories are going to meld together. I read When Will There Be Good News? and really enjoyed it. I love that she doesn't have too many stock characters in her books.

message 14: by Elise (new)

Elise Melki, I liked Case Histories very much!

I'm in the middle of Silver Sparrow...wait, let me check that titleSilver Sparrow. Yup, that's it. It's very good, it's been getting some good buzz.

message 15: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Robert wrote: "Melki wrote: "Robert, have you read any other Jo Nesbo? This book has been recommended for fans of Stieg Larsson's books."

I have just started The Snowman and good so far. Seems a bit like Steig..."

10 Days and made a decision! I'm jealous AND happy for you that it is was a quick process. Yesterday we found yet another area that we really liked. Great schools, but further out. Decisions.

message 16: by Melki (new)

Melki It's funny, I never noticed food in books til Bob mentioned it - now I can't stop. Only on page 83 of "Case Histories" and they've already eaten scones and seedcake, bacon-and-egg rolls, biscuits and digestives, steak and kidney pie, oxtail soup, ox heart (horrors!) and beans on toast. Whew! Luckily none of that has made me hungry.

Good luck with the house-hunting Stacey! We looked at a dozen houses in one day in 2006 - it was exhausting. It's good that you're finding some you like - better than having the opposite problem.

message 17: by Annika (new)

Annika Melki wrote: "Robert, have you read any other Jo Nesbo? This book has been recommended for fans of Stieg Larsson's books."

I also tried one of his others and also couldn't finish it. The story was fine, but I really struggled to get into it. The writing felt more stilted than other Scandinavian writers that I've read. Maybe it was the translation? I know he's wildly popular in Scandinavia.

message 18: by Annika (new)

Annika Stacey - good luck house hunting! If you're house hunting, then you really must be planning to settle there:) YAY! Keep us posted on how it's going.

message 19: by Annika (new)

Annika I started watching A Game of Thrones On Demand last week and am loving it, so that's what I'm reading now. I don't read much fantasy, but every now and then, I enjoy some. So far it's great.

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments Stacey, I don't envy you doing all this house hunting in the famous Phoenix summer heat. But, as Annika said, it sounds like you're really liking where you are enough to want to stay put. That's great news! Can't wait to hear what section you decide on. I'll bet you're really eager to get settled and put your roots down!

message 21: by Theresa (new)

Theresa My guilty pleasure when I'm traveling is watching "House Hunters." I love looking at other people's houses! But the process is much more anxiety inducing when you are the one doing the house hunting. Try and have fun with it, Stacey.