Amazon Kindle discussion

Book Related Banter > Children's Books

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Not all children's bedtime reads are picture books, so there is definitely a market for children's books. I don't know if the Kindle has the required durability for younger children, though.

I've seen a lot of my friend's offspring drool and step on books, and they are fun to throw, too.

message 2: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I would be curious to see that too. My husband who is the king of read-alouds (in my opinion) swears up and down that you can't do the same thing with an e-book. But I believe it depends on the book. Definitely a picture book would need to have a paper version or instead of an e-reader be downloaded onto a color tablet so that the child could see the pictures. But when you get into chapter books, I really don't think it would make a difference. I am currently reading a wonderful YA book on my Kindle and the only ones I read aloud to are my cats *LOL* so I don't know. (See below The Door to Canellin by Goodreads author E.H. Jones)
But to me, that book is about imagination, so an e-reader would be fine.

Maybe I would go to Amazon and print the color cover of a book. I have a Kindle latest edition but I imagine that for picture books even the color Nook would not be sufficient because the screen would not be large enough to do the pictures justice.

I am waiting for Goodreads author Shaeeza Haniff's book, The Rice Bag Hammock to come out in a paper edition because the pictures are so beautiful and blend so well with the words. Luckily I was able to review the PDF version so I got to see the beautiful illustrations.

The Door to Canellin (Gatehouse #1) by E.H. Jones

The Rice Bag Hammock (The Aja Series) by Shaeeza Haniff

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments Paul, here's my opinion - it depends on the age of the child. I have a 3 yo granddaughter and she would have no interest at all in picture books on the b/w Kindle. I even have a color tablet and have downloaded some books on there for her and she's not much interested in them. Now I think if you have a child at least 8 years or older who is an avid reader, they would probably like to read on the Kindle, I know I've read posts from people who have children that age and they read on the Kindle.

message 4: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Maybe I misunderstood because I was referring to books that you would read aloud to a child, not necessarily things they would read on their own. That would be very different. I guess I am in the "reading to" children mode lately because I think that is so important for the parent/child bond and just the experience of being read to. My ex "practices" his books on me sometimes and I absolutely love being read to. Even though they are picture books. I think there is just something about that experience.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments Karen, I absolutely still read to both of my grandchildren, and they enjoy it so much. I meant that I have downloaded a few picture books on my color tablet and tried reading them to my 3 yo granddaughter, but she's not very excited about them, she still prefers the paper picture book. Holding the screen in front of her just doesn't get the same effect as holding the actual book in front of her!

message 6: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) yes that's exactly how I feel about picture books.

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments Paul, when I read to my 3 yo granddaughter, I ad lib a lot. I point to the pictures on the page and tell a story about each page, I don't just read what's written there, I ask her questions about it and everything. I guess that's why I have a problem with using an electronic device for a child as young as she is.

message 8: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Well as I said, my husband who prides himself on reading aloud can't even fathom using a Kindle. But I think by the time he was reading some of those chapter books to the girls, it wouldn't have made a difference. They were listening not reading along with him. This has been on my mind a lot now as a story was published in the newspaper last year about his uninterrupted reading streak,reading aloud to my daughter every night from the time she was around 10 until her first day of college. (It sounds bizarre but truly it wasn't. They had a commitment of at least five minutes a day and even when she was on the class trip, she'd call and he'd read aloud over the phone so as not to break their streak.)

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments Awww, that's a nice story, Karen. They must have a very close relationship.

message 10: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) very close

message 11: by Moomy (new)

Moomy | 1 comments My kids have a kindle each. They are 8 and 10. Mostly they read to themselves at bedtime but at the weekend I read to them tool.

Does anyone have any recommendations for that age group? They loved Wimpy kid, Tom Gates, Maggie Moore and the Secret School Diary and Dork Diaries.

Any others like that?
thanks

message 12: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Oh so good to see activity on this thread again.

I just recently found a book that I read constantly to my younger daughter even when she was 10. It's no longer available except in used versions "The Stinky Cheeseman and other fairly stupid tales". I still laugh over it hysterically, but to appreciate it you have to see the paper version as there are so many sight jokes and so far it's not available for my Kindle Fire.

I want to recommend a book...in which unfortunately I play the villain. There are a lot of "untruths" about me and initially caused a lot of friction between my daughter and myself when it came out two years ago. Never the less it's a great book about the importance of reading and reading aloud to children and that part of the book I strongly recommend. Just keep in mind that I am not the horrible mother really but the book itself and the concepts of reading to children are right on the mark! The book "The Reading Promise" and my husband listed a lot of good read-aloud books for children. That whole part about reading aloud I highly highly recommend.
On a good note the disagreement which my daughter and I had, the pain I found in this terrible version of me, is beyond us and we are committed to love each other in spite of it. Just be forewarned. Especially in the beginning...Trust me there was no turkey in the freezer for Thanksgiving Day. (What woman in her right mind would plan to pull a turkey out of the freezer right before dinner.) I had been invited to friends' house for dinner, and husband hadn't wanted a real Thanksgiving Dinner for about the last 4 years together. He used Thanksgiving as his rake the leaves day. There are other fictionalized parts in the book but the message is wonderful and in spite of the ugly picture of myself I still recommend it highly. Now my biggest problem is that it is published by one of the "big five" and not very reasonably priced even on Kindle. But now that you can get Kindle books from your public library. Especially read the last chapter if you read it.
"The Reading Promise" by Alice Ozma. Believe me I am not trying to sell her book, but pushing the idea of reading to children, no matter what their age. There is something wonderful about being read aloud to even at an older age.

I too, read to my cats. I embellish a little too as a read That in itself is a fun reading experience.

The bottom line is read read read, encourage our children to read chapter books. I would never censor my child's reading. For myself I devoured Nancy Drew books and then my mother invited me into the world of Agatha Christie and I entered the world of adult books.
For adolescents I highly recommend and loved teaching Fahrenheit 451. If you haven't read it in a while, you might see so much of Bradbury's ideas
more relevant even today.

message 13: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Ferrante (bonnieferrante) Paul wrote: "I wondered how many people downloaded children's books from the kindle store and then actually read them to their children from the kindle devices. Or do bedtime stories still come from print editi..."

I'm interested in that. I download books to read to my granddaughters on my tablet but the baby keeps touching it and making the page disappear. My Kindle is only black and white. Is it worth getting a color one? The screen seems smaller than my tablet.

message 14: by Joan (new)

Joan (jomarcho1) | 30 comments I want to get my grandson a book for Christmas. He is 6 and is very bright. I want a book with a message or lesson learned and one that is beautifully illustrated. One that will be an hierloom for him some day and not too cartoonish. Any recommendations?

message 15: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Ferrante (bonnieferrante) Joan wrote: "I want to get my grandson a book for Christmas. He is 6 and is very bright. I want a book with a message or lesson learned and one that is beautifully illustrated. One that will be an hierloom f..."

Is it wrong if I suggest mine? It's getting great reviews and I've been invited to several schools and libraries to read it to children. http://amzn.com/0992103738 You can see more of the pictures here http://my.tbaytel.net/bonnieheather/F... and ideas for meaningful discussions with your child.

message 16: by Joan (new)

Joan (jomarcho1) | 30 comments Bonnie, thank you for suggesting this I will check it out.

message 17: by Masoom (new)

Masoom (masoomjethwa) | 1 comments Hello All. My name is masoom and i am new to the goodreads, I want to read as much as i can and thats why I am heere.
Hope to meet you all soon here.

message 18: by Donald (new)

Donald Scott (writeondon) Welcome Masoom!

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine Welcome and Hi.

message 20: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 41 comments Welcome Masoom