Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > Overdrive - Library ebook Lending

Comments Showing 1-50 of 219 (219 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherielulu) | 16 comments I got an email from my local library the other day saying 'Coming in August - ebook lending' So not sure if other libraries will follow suit but it looks like my local library will have overdrive available for ebook readers like myself!

message 2: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I know mine has a program I don't know if it's Overdrive what it is called. I am waiting for Kindle books to become available. In the mean time, I'm reading the free ones I get and then hoping to use the Lendle program. At this point I don't think I have too many that anyone would want to borrow.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherielulu) | 16 comments Karen B wrote: "I know mine has a program I don't know if it's Overdrive what it is called. I am waiting for Kindle books to become available. In the mean time, I'm reading the free ones I get and then hoping to..."

I'm pretty sure mine is for all kinds of ereaders, the headline originally said for Nooks but I clicked on the link and it makes me believe all ereaders will able to use the program.

message 4: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) That's what I thought our library director told me. I've even wondered if I can't download something in a PDF format and convert it to Mobi. But it's been Amazon who has not participated in the library programs. Libraries have formats available for every kind of e-reader except Kindle.

message 5: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (dwyatt1) | 84 comments They have a mobile overdrive, I have it on my iphone and it is great. My problem is too many books so little of time. lol

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments At the present time, you cannot read library books on the Kindle, it's not compatible. Overdrive works with Nook, Sony, Kobo, and any ereader that can read ePub format. Amazon has announced they will be implementing ebook library lending by the end of this year. I can't wait!!

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherielulu) | 16 comments Karen B wrote: "That's what I thought our library director told me. I've even wondered if I can't download something in a PDF format and convert it to Mobi. But it's been Amazon who has not participated in the l..."

With the Calibre program you can convert to any format that you need.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherielulu) | 16 comments Patricia wrote: "At the present time, you cannot read library books on the Kindle, it's not compatible. Overdrive works with Nook, Sony, Kobo, and any ereader that can read ePub format. Amazon has announced they ..."

I was under the impression from this email that the Overdrive program would support the Kindle in August, therefore, I could borrow books via my Kindle from the library.

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) Cheryl wrote: "With the Calibre program you can convert to any format that you need. "

Only if the book isn't DRM locked. Unfortunately, that means Overdrive books cannot be converted with Calibre without DRM stripping.

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments Cheryl, Amazon announced very early this year that they would be implementing library borrowing on the Kindle 'by the end of this year' but I don't think anything else has been announced as to a time. Maybe the Overdrive people know something we don't :) And that would be great!

Or, some of the libraries are beginning to carry what they call Open ePub books, in other words, books that are DRM free. In which case you could covert them using Calibre.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) Oh, that's right - thanks Patricia! I totally forgot Overdrive has some DRM-free books. I saw this announcement that Overdrive will also start carrying books from 17 small publishers DRM-free.

I can't wait for all this to finally start!

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherielulu) | 16 comments This is announcement I got from my library - http://www.bapl.org/overdrive01.html

message 13: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Cheryl, maybe by the time your library gets it, Kindle will be available on Overdrive too! I remember I was so excitd when our library director told me about having a program. She explained to me that the library paid for this subscription service and that even though it was very expensive it was a way to add books to the collection that they couldn't afford. She was very anxious for me to use it. At that time I was hoping to get a Nook, and she didn't know I would get a Kindle instead. (Still so happy I got the Kindle!) So now I too am anxious for Kindle books to be available through the library. Meanwhile I am downloading free Kindle books and taking advantage of self-published authors who offer free books for reviews. I've gotten a few duds but for the good books I've gotten it has been worth it. And of course the Public Domain books are free. So if I run out of current books, I can always go to Sherlock Holmes or some of the others I've put in my "classics" collection.
I also enter Goodreads first reads giveaways and have gotten some free paper books. I sign up for Member Giveaways at Library Thing where members offer a lot of e-books. Most who ask for reviews are very kind to say "no rush" in getting to them.
There are a few books I really want to get on Kindle but I refuse to pay more than 3.99 for them! With the list of free books, you never know, sometimes they list some really good books for a limited time.

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments Regina, I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Calibre can only convert books that are DRM free. The guy who created Calibre is pretty stringent about not telling people how to remove DRM. He says Don't Ask.

message 15: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
Regina wrote: "There is a Calibre plug in to remove DRM."

Calibre will not remove DRM. Stripping DRM from a book is illegal and the ones in charge of the Calibre project are strictly against the process.

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments Ralph, I agree, I know it's illegal and I'm not interested in doing it. But I believe in other countries it might not be illegal. That's what I've been told.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) I downloaded the Overdrive app onto my iPad, but I've only used it once. For some reason, it seems that every book I want is already 'checked out' and unavailable. I certainly like the idea of the program, but I'm an instant gratification kind of person, lol. If I want to read it now, then I want to read it now!

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I can't wait for library lending to kick in for the Kindle! Hmm... could happen anytime within this five-and-a-bit-month window, I guess!

I've downloaded the Overdrive app for my iPhone, but haven't really used it or started reading library books yet. I've tried, but I just don't like reading books solely on the phone. I'm quite happy to do it when I'm trying to sneak in a few pages of a book I'm already reading on my Kindle (I keep the Kindle at home for the most part, and will read on my phone anytime I get a spare moment like sitting around in a doctor's waiting room or waiting for a friend to show up for lunch), but the idea of reading a whole book on the tiny backlit screen just doesn't appeal. But what I have been doing is merrily trawling through the ePub catalogs of my local libraries, and creating HUGE wishlists of all the ebooks I might want to borrow once Kindle library lending goes live. I even shelled out the $35 (I think it was) to join the Free Library of Philadelphia (even though I live in Ohio) and was pretty impressed with their catalog - they have a TON of ePub books that I want to read. I'm sure when library lending for the Kindle kicks in the waiting lists will become unbearable, but... oh well, it will be a nice supplement to all the paid-for books I'm racking up thanks to that dangerous one-click button!

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherielulu) | 16 comments I had the kindle app on my iPhone but I hate reading on it. My eyes strain and the screen is way too tiny to read that much! It is okay to look things up but not to read a book.

message 20: by Claire (last edited Jul 17, 2011 08:32AM) (new)

Claire Chilton (clairechilton) I think someone else might have said this already - but it looks like Kindle have joined overdrive now too:

http://overdriveblogs.com/library/201...

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) I think someone else might have said this already - but it looks like Kindle have joined overdrive now too:

I'm so glad to hear that! I think it will improve Kindle sales as well.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Mine has it for ebooks and eaudiobooks. It is the best thing ever. I consume a lot of audiobooks on runs, during workouts and while cleaning. The selection is good. I think you'll love it. If you have an iphone there is an overdrive app as well, which is what I mainly use.

message 23: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Schmitz | 22 comments My library in St. Paul MN has an eBook lending program via Overdrive but I've found it a little frustrating. One user can be reading a eBook at a time. Just about anything you might want to read is already checked out. It seems like one of those odd transitions between the past, where the number of readers was in reality limited by the number of books, and the present, where an infinite number of library users could be reading the same book at the same time.

message 24: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments The library has to buy a license for each ebook they loan out, that's why there are limited copies. I belong to two different libraries where I get ebooks and they have long wait lists. I'm expecting the wait lists are going to really be bad when Kindle library borrowing is enabled.

message 25: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherielulu) | 16 comments I had no idea about that, that isn't very reassuring but very good to know!

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I just saw this... might be wishful thinking, but looks like the Overdrive CEO might have been giving a very big hint as to when library lending will go live for the Kindle. I hope the hint is correct - I can't wait!

message 27: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (momwith4kids) | 8 comments september

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 366 comments i don't know about other kindle users, but I have just been using the overdrive app on my itouch...and from what I see on the amazon boards, lots of us seem to do that - so maybe the increase won't be soo bad

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethsbookreviews) | 19 comments I like OverDrive on my iPad, which is great for audio and skimming but for long term reading it is really heavy, so I can't wait until I can use it on my Kindle. Actually, that's a main reason that I bought the Kindle to begin with - for library ebooks.

My library seems to think early fall is when it will be available. Can't wait!

message 30: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherielulu) | 16 comments I just got this email:

eBooks Almost Here!
eBooks at BAPL You've waited patiently and next week you'll be rewarded with downloadable eBooks and audiobooks for your PC, Mac and a variety of compatible mobile devices, including iPad, iPod, iPhone, Droid, Nook, Sony Reader, etc. We have invested in this great service with 3 area libraries, so YOU can enjoy FREE eBooks and audiobooks anytime you want them. PLUS, we are purchasing an exclusive Advantage collection of eBooks and audiobooks that will only be available to Bethlehem Area Public Library cardholders.

No Kindle though =(

message 31: by JMZ (new)

JMZ I haven't tried Overdrive yet but I'm thinking of trying it soon once I clean out my computer to make room for the required software. To bad all the books I want to check out are not only checked out at the library but also at Overdrive. Still, I might check out a few just to test it out.

message 32: by L-H (new)

L-H | 1 comments That would be great if the library starts having kindle ebooks.

message 33: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethsbookreviews) | 19 comments Miss Jimenez wrote: "I haven't tried Overdrive yet but I'm thinking of trying it soon once I clean out my computer to make room for the required software. To bad all the books I want to check out are not only checked o..."

I like that Overdrive has the waiting list option. You just add yourself to the list and they e-mail when you can check out the book. It's worked great so far on my iPad, but it gets heavy reading long term so I'm looking forward to the Kindle rollout.

Overdrive is really easy to use and they do have tons of audiobooks as well, which is nice.

message 34: by Dani (new)

Dani (luckyspud) Overdrive books will be available for the Kindle around September. The head of Overdrive said this at a recent Library ebook summit.

message 35: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments woot.

Guess I better get over to the library to renew my card.

message 36: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments Nena, the reason Calibre cannot convert the ebooks from the library is because they have DRM. If they could be converted, then we could read them on our Kindles now.

message 37: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherielulu) | 16 comments Does anyone know how the Overdrive will work for Kindle? Will we need to use it with Calibre or is it a separate program?

message 38: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherielulu) | 16 comments Overdrive is up at my public library - can I use it for Kindle they have .pub and .pdf and audio books available? Any advice is appreciated!

message 39: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 366 comments overdrive isn't working yet with kindle - amazon says later this year - rumor has it as september/october

message 40: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments Cheryl, Calibre has nothing to do with the Overdrive system.
And you can download audio books on your Kindle now, but they must be MP3 files. Your Kindle won't work with WMA files.

message 41: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherielulu) | 16 comments Patricia wrote: "Cheryl, Calibre has nothing to do with the Overdrive system.
And you can download audio books on your Kindle now, but they must be MP3 files. Your Kindle won't work with WMA files."

thanks Patricia!

message 42: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2 comments Cheryl wrote: "Overdrive is up at my public library - can I use it for Kindle they have .pub and .pdf and audio books available? Any advice is appreciated!"

You can only use it for any MP3 ausiobooks as far as I know--DRM keeps us Kindlers from being able to read or convert. However, if you Google "unDRM", "deDRM", or just "DRM" you'll discover some interesting facts about DRM.

message 43: by Melissa (last edited Sep 07, 2011 06:31PM) (new)

Melissa | 2 comments Nena wrote: "Our library already has e-books (Adobe EPub) but unfortunately Calibre is unable to read or convert them. Don't ask me why. I received a notice that our library is teaming up with Overdrive Media..."

I'll suggest the blog (or RSS feed or whatever the term for it is) "Free Books For Kindle" by ChrisG. I've certainly gotten my use out of it! Daily, there's links for 25/more free Kindle books, and I've seen several that were REALLY good. I get at least one per week, sometimes 5 or 6 in a day! Also, Remember that all "public domain" books, such as "ANNA KARENINA" and "THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY" are free, no need to go to OpenLibrary and mess with that.

message 44: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleylaura87) | 89 comments I am cautiously optimistic about the overdrive feature. However, to this day I can't get my Overdrive Apps to work on either my iPad or my iPhone with the King County Library system in the Seattle area. I'm pretty tech savvy, but it just doesn't work. I go to "add" my library and once I find it from the list all it does it take me to the library website, and I'm still not able to get a book into the app. Really tedious. I hope this is fixed...

message 45: by Ioana (new)

Ioana I’ve only used Overdrive on my laptop, without any problem, so I cannot comment on using it for other devices. However, you can borrow books from your local library by using their own URL. That’s what I used before I knew about Overdrive. And I suppose your devices support internet browsing.

message 46: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) I was never so happy to find out our local library lends ebooks but I can't use it either on my kindle.

Although once I saw the absolutely RUBBISH selection I wasn't too bothered. Not one book had I heard of...

message 47: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) My library has tons and tons of ebooks I want to read, so I can't wait for this to happen!

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura P I'm anxiously awaiting library lending, too. I have a membership at a library that has tons of ebooks that I want to read. My "To Read" list is getting pretty long, but I'm holding out on buying a lot of them because I can get them through my library once Kindle gets it going.

message 49: by Alison (new)

Alison | 5 comments I use overdrive on my IPad and have used it for my daughter on her Nook. The selection isn't great but every once in a while you can find a good book. Does anyone know any details about Amazons kindle rentals supposed to be available soon?

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 366 comments it looks like some users are reporting that they have been able to get library books today - the only confirmed one I know for sure is in the Seattle area...but the overdrive is showing Beta versions for all kindle..so coming soon hopefully

« previous 1 3 4 5