Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > SHADES OF GREY--Speculations

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3221 comments Mod
I found myself wondering about a few things (well, more than a few, in all honesty) as I read this book.

What do you think was the "something that happened"?

Do you think the whole world is now like this England? Are all people limited in terms of what colors they see? Have other countries organized themselves differently in terms of technology, the color caste, etc?

Do you have an affinity for a certain color? How well do you "match" that part of the spectrum in Fforde's caste system?

message 2: by Barb (new)

Barb (barbtrek) | 40 comments My guess was that "something that happened" was some sort of nuclear war. I can't remember exactly what gave me that idea, but I thought he mentioned something about the weather at some point that lead me in that direction.

I also got the feeling that the rest of the world is NOT that way. Hence the restrictions on travel, etc.

I would hope that I would be a green or a blue--more so a blue as seeing a grey sky all the time would be depressing!

This book had me thinking a lot about selective color photography. It would be odd to always see the world like that. But I get the impression that the populace in this book is being duped somehow. I almost want to reread this as I feel I missed some important clue.

There are definitely a lot of mysteries in this book--I am really looking forward to the next installment.

MB (What she read) I think it may turn out to be a dystopia where people inside are kept separate and uninformed about the outside. Just a guess though.

message 4: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 33 comments I just finished listening to Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman). This one, Shades of Grey, actually puts me in mind of it.

I like Shades of Grey ... it's actually easy to see how a society such as this could develop.

There's no mystery for me - I can see how it's going to turn out.

Jane ... well, that's easy enough.

message 5: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 33 comments My favourite character is the 'acropolys'. Not sure how you spell it - but I just love him. He's so funny.

And that old bat that seems to be in charge - whatzername. I guess she's one of the characters I'm supposed to dislike, but she's fun.

I hope his father and that woman get to pair up - that's so sweet.

message 6: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 33 comments I'd like to be a green - see things in different shades of green.

message 7: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 33 comments I'm wondering - is this any different from real life? Seems to be the same thing - only served up on different plates with a fresh tablecloth to put them on.