Dreamspinner Press discussion

Meet the Author > Chatting with Sarah Madison

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dreamspinner (new)

Dreamspinner Press (dreamspinnerpress) | 2637 comments Mod
Sarah Madison will be joining us today from 1-6 EST to chat, share excerpts, and answer all your burning questions!

message 2: by Lou (new)

Lou Sylvre | 360 comments Hey Sarah, are you there?

Dreamspinner wrote: "Sarah Madison will be joining us today from 1-6 EST to chat, share excerpts, and answer all your burning questions!"

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Hah! I am here! (And I thought I was going to be the only one...) Actually, I just got back from the barn and jumped into the shower where I was composing a list of 'starter facts' to toss out and see where they landed.

Much like Noah releasing the dove every evening to see if it came back with evidence of dry land. ;-)

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Sorry, Lou, I thought I responded to your reply, but I accidentally started a new response thread instead. But yes, I'm here!

Lou wrote: "Hey Sarah, are you there?

message 5: by Lou (new)

Lou Sylvre | 360 comments no problem, Sarah. I found this process pretty confusing when I did my chat, and to tell the truth I'm still confused about how it works. ☺ I'm looking forward to seeing the "starter facts." Meantime let me just say I *love* the cover for Crying for the Moon!

Sarah wrote: "Sorry, Lou, I thought I responded to your reply, but I accidentally started a new response thread instead. But yes, I'm here!

Lou wrote: "Hey Sarah, are you there?"

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments So...

Starter facts

1) Sarah Madison is a pen name.

2) I do a *wicked* Yoda impersonation, but in order to get the voice right, I have to contort my face into an incredibly ugly position. :-)

3) I can castrate a bull calf in under ten seconds. Which is handy if, you know, you live on a farm.

4) I do a seriously bad-ass impression of two cats fighting. I cannot demonstrate this anywhere that animals are present or else I will start a fight.

5) I did eleven amateur theater productions between the ages of 16 - 21.

6) I have a love-hate relationship with my hair. It grows like kudzu in a greenhouse. In the summer, it's like wearing a wet fur coat. Every time I get fed up and cut it all off, I remember that I look like an angry hedgehog when I have short hair. Or Harry Potter.

7)Right now I'm painting my toenails between sentences. If no one shows up, I'm going to sneak in a few hours of writing fanfiction. Shhh. Don't tell anyone.

8)I used to write fanfiction in high school, only there was no internet and I had no idea that's what it was called. I was in a fandom of one. When I went off to college, I decided it was time to Grow Up and Be Realistic and I stopped writing and performing in plays. It took me over twenty years to find my creative voice again and now you can't stop me!

9) My favorite recurring theme in my stories is the idea that life is more than mere survival.

10)A friend once really pissed me off by saying that because I gave up on my dream of being an actress, I must not have wanted it badly enough. It pissed me off because she obviously hadn't taken into account such things as the need for looks and talent, or the odds against anyone making a living from that profession. Then I rediscovered writing and realized she was right. *Everything* comes back to writing in the end for me. I can be in the midst of a crisis or a celebration, and part of my mind is thinking how I'm going to use this experience some day in a story. I would write if no one ever read it. Um, not that I'm suggesting anyone stop reading my stuff! ;-)

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Let's see if I can put an image in here...

This is the cover for my next release, out July 22, on DSP:

Hah! That worked! I'm tickled because I'm almost entirely self-taught when it comes to computers and coding--I have to keep a html cheat sheet by my desk!

message 8: by Eden (last edited Jul 09, 2011 10:40AM) (new)

Eden Winters (edenwinters) | 67 comments Wow! Lovely cover! How about telling a little about the stories you have available now and what you're working on.

What are you currently reading?

message 9: by P.D. (last edited Jul 09, 2011 10:44AM) (new)

P.D. (pdsinger) | 23 comments I hear you about the html, I had no idea an author would end up doing so much coding! Do you have a website with your news and stuff?

Angry hedgehog hair is wonderful imagery -- do your stories sound like the way you talk?

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Lou wrote: "no problem, Sarah. I found this process pretty confusing when I did my chat, and to tell the truth I'm still confused about how it works. ☺ I'm looking forward to seeing the "starter facts." Meant..."
That's funny you should mention CFTM--I just posted the cover here because I love it so much! :-) I'm also deeply enamored with the cover for Raincheck as well. I feel fortunate to have two stories coming out within a month of each other and I love looking up from the laptop and seeing the covers posted on my wall.

Odd, there seems to be a delay in comments showing up on my page here unless I close out of this page and open it again. Of Firefox, where did your 'refresh' button go??

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Eden wrote: "Wow! Lovely cover! How about telling a little about the stories you have available now and what you're working on."

I currently have four new stories that will be released before the end of the year--hah, you couldn't have asked a better question! No, no, put the gun to my head and MAKE me talk about what's coming up next. :-)

I just released Raincheck, which is the modern fairytale story of Rodney, the philosophical gargoyle, who falls in love with David, a tenant in his building. For over a century, Rodney has observed humans and their culture from the shadows--David is the first person who has ever been able to hear Rodney speak. Rodney keeps his crush and his identity a secret until one night David gets into trouble--and Rodney has to chose whether to keep hiding or risk it all.

Crying for the Moon is the story about Alex, the vampire who just wants to be *normal*. He leaves the Life, he buys an old fixer-upper in the mountains, he just wants to be left alone. He new next door neighbor won't take 'go away' for an answer and Alex also gets tangled up in the problems of some friends--all of which makes it very dangerous for him to pursue any sort of relationship with Tate. In the end, he too, must choose how best to act to protect those he cares about.

I am also participating in the Goodreads M/M Group Summer Anthology called Hot July Days. Have you heard of it? Readers posted hot pix of their favorite guys and invited authors to write a story around the photograph. Over 100 storied have been collected and are being posted a few at a time on the Group list, but in October, they will put the whole she-bang together as a free anthology! I have a story in it called 'Surf's Up' that I am really happy with--you should check out the group if you're not a member already because the author's list is pretty heady and the stories are *smokin'*. :-)

I participated last Christmas with the Stuff My Stocking anthology (it was a bit like "Dear Santa" with everyone posting letters/pix requesting stories) and as a result, Raincheck is one of the books being discussed this month on the Group list. I'll warn you though, my entry into that anthology contains spoilers for CFTM--I wrote "A Walk on the Wild Side" long before I submitted CFTM for sale--so it is like a bit of fanfic for Crying for the Moon. You should really read CFTM before you read the anthology story though!

I also recently signed a contract with Dreamspinner to release a sci-fi story before the end of the year called Practice Makes Perfect. Rhys and Jim are just two friends and colleagues--who just so happen to work in outer space. Their mission is an important and dangerous one, and they will have to decide if it's worth jeopardizing everything to go for something more.

That's what's due to come out now or in the near future. Do you want to know about the WIP's too? :-)

I hope I haven't given away anything too much--I tried to stick to the 'blurb' like information that I'm already promoting, but sometimes it's hard to know what some people consider a spoiler...

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments P.D. wrote: "I hear you about the html, I had no idea an author would end up doing so much coding! Do you have a website with your news and stuff?

Angry hedgehog hair is wonderful imagery -- do your stories so..."

I would love it if you went to my website--I strongly suspect no one does. :-)

And yes, sadly, my stories probably *do* sound like I talk. *facepalm*

SarahMadisonFiction.com

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Eden wrote: "Wow! Lovely cover! How about telling a little about the stories you have available now and what you're working on.

What are you currently reading?"

Ah, I missed the 'what are you currently reading' bit.

This is something I struggle with because I am a *voracious* reader--except when I'm writing. Which seems to be most of the time now. I have a tough time reading (unless it is something I know really well) while I'm writing because there is a tendency for what I'm reading to seep stylistically into what I'm writing.

So, if I've been reading a bunch of Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey novels, I have to be careful that my protagonists don't start saying things like, "I say, old chap. That's a jolly fine spaceship you have there..."

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Jul 09, 2011 11:18AM) (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Eden wrote: "Wow! Lovely cover! How about telling a little about the stories you have available now and what you're working on.

What are you currently reading?"

Wait! I see I *still* didn't answer your question! Right now I have "Hot Head" by Damon Suede and "Mixed Signals" by Cooper West as recent downloads to the Nook. I haven't actually started either of them yet because the wretched Nook always seems to need charging. I wish I'd waited until the Nook 2 came out--or better yet, gone with an Ipad or Kindle instead.

message 15: by Eden (new)

Eden Winters (edenwinters) | 67 comments Wow! You are busy! Congrats on so many upcoming releases. Yes, I've heard of the Hot July Days, and have my own story in the anthology, "Sweet Dreams."

I've been reading Hot Head when I can. I'm currently neck deep in three projects, all which I hope to have submitted by the end of August. I haven't experienced the charging problem with my Nook yet, but I haven't had it all that long.

message 16: by P.D. (new)

P.D. (pdsinger) | 23 comments I love Peter Wimsey and would have cheerfully married anyone who'd quote the Kai Lung to me. Alas, that sort of man is thin on the ground.

Why is a consistent voice a bad thing? A book that contains angry hedgehog hair-like phrases sounds as good as Kai Lung quotes.

Yay on the GR July stories, I don't recall seeing yours yet. Has it posted?

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Eden wrote: "Wow! You are busy! Congrats on so many upcoming releases. Yes, I've heard of the Hot July Days, and have my own story in the anthology, "Sweet Dreams."

I've been reading Hot Head when I can. I'm ..."

Hah, don't I feel silly telling you all about the Hot July Days thingy, then? :-)

I'm lucky to have so many releases so close together, but it followed on the heels of my not being able to finish much of anything in a 6 month window--other obligations just kept getting in the way. I don't think that's the best way of being successful as a writer. Ideally I'd like to have one story being released, one story being submitted, and one story on the boards at any one time. My goal is to release one major story per quarter. Well, that's the *goal* anyway!

See, I hear you on the being neck-deep in other projects! I am currently not working on a story I started with the idea of submitting it for the Uniform Appeal anthology, but I blew past the word count and it is going to end up being at least a novella instead. Hmmm, I'm beginning to see a pattern here. :-)

I also have been researching and making notes for a sequel to Unspeakable Words, as well as one for Crying for the Moon. Then there's the time travel story I'd like to do, as well as the prodigal-returns-home, and the... well, you get the picture.

Hah! Maybe you have a Nook 2? I hear the newer version has a much longer battery life. Did you go with the color or the B&W? Mine was a gift, so I didn't get to choose, but I must say, being able to see book covers in glorious Technicolor is very nice. I read somewhere where someone speculated that with the advent of the e-reader, book covers were going to become obsolete. I can't see that myself!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments P.D. wrote: "I love Peter Wimsey and would have cheerfully married anyone who'd quote the Kai Lung to me. Alas, that sort of man is thin on the ground.

Why is a consistent voice a bad thing? A book that contai..."

I was weaned on LPW, which for a girl in the Southern US is *definitely* thin on the ground. Then I met a transplanted Englishman. :-)

I don't think consistent voice is a bad thing unless it interferes with characterization. I love the Dick Francis novels. It bothers me not one wit that the voice and the underlying character of the protagonist is virtually the same from book to book because I really *like* that voice.

I came to profic by way of writing fanfic. One of the things I strive for in fanfic is getting the character voices right. One of the things I worry about as someone making the transition to original fiction is that the voices will sound too similar. I mean, I like a certain kind of character and write the kinds of stories I like to read. I want to make sure I don't fall into the trap of writing essentially the same story over and over again, you know?

It's odd you should mention a consistent voice though, because I am a little strange when it comes to POV. I seldom write in first person--I usually write in third person limited, which isn't always very popular, I'm afraid. I guess I just like the challenge of telling a story from one POV only. I've written stories where I switch between protagonists, but never in the same scene. It makes me a little nuts to read something that is bouncing around between everyone's heads!

I recently read a highly touted mystery in which the story was solidly told from the male protagonist's POV--except when it would suddenly lapse into Omniscient Author. And then, even the OA would get coy about revealing certain facts--I would hear in endless detail what the man was wearing and what he looked like--but suddenly the Author couldn't tell me his actual age. It was a pattern that repeated in the book and I found it irritating after a while. :-0

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments P.D. wrote: "I love Peter Wimsey and would have cheerfully married anyone who'd quote the Kai Lung to me. Alas, that sort of man is thin on the ground.

Why is a consistent voice a bad thing? A book that contai..."

Ooops, forgot to mention, I don't think my Hot Days story is up yet. I confess, with July 4th, my birthday on the 5th and planning for a week long out of town business trip, I haven't been checking!

message 20: by Lou (new)

Lou Sylvre | 360 comments Okay, Sarah, I'm back and I've totally lost track of all the comments, so this will start a new thread. First, I'll say again, beautiful cover, one of the most attractive covers I've seen in quite a while. Did you already post who the artist is?

This follows more or less on some of the other comments -- how do you manage to be so prolific? Do you write full time? I see that you said your ultimate goal is a piece published per quarter. What are you aiming for long term?

Okay, I'm going to admit, I haven't yet read any Sarah Madison. How about an excerpt here? (If you tell me there's already one here and I don't see it, I'll be red in the face, but I'll blame it on Goodreads discussion boards.) Again, you may have already answered this, but which book/story would you recommend I start with?

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Lou: You've missed nothing because these are all good questions and I haven't answered any of them!

The artist who did the cover for CFTM is Anne Cain. I was unfamiliar with her work, but I think she did a fantastic job of portraying the elements of the story--I love the October feel of the cover, as well as the balance of the three figures--the moon, the man, the wolf. I love the intensity of the wolf's stare as well. I even love the font! I do think an excellent cover is a strong advantage for a story. :-)

Here's another cover that I adore by Reese Dante:
[image error]

I love how she has Rodney watching from the shadows and the dichotomy between their two worlds. :-)

Hmmm. The prolific part. I have to laugh because I've also written over 60 fanfic stories since 2006. Before 2006 I wrote maybe one story every five years. And nothing over 3 K!

Several things happened to change that, I think. I left a job that was suffocating me and went into business on my own. I discovered fandom, which brought me back into writing after a 20 year drought. Rediscovering my passion for writing seems to have opened some sort of floodgate--and now writing is a compulsion for me. I jokingly state it would take a 12 step process for me to quit. Writing: cheaper than therapy. ;-)

I work a FT job as a veterinarian--12 hour days, 6-7 days a week. I plot stories when I'm on the road, when I ride my horse, while I'm walking my dog in the woods. I get frustrated by the lack of time to write sometimes, especially when I have all these ideas but am too tired to write them down. Still, most days, I'd rather be writing than almost anything else.

I would *love* for the writing to be successful enough that I could work a little less--you know, take a solid 2 days off every week. So I could write more! :-)

I will gladly stick an excerpt in here--will start a new thread for that. I'll warn you, I stink at excerpt selection, however. I run around in circles and go, "No, no, not that one, this one would be better!" until I get hamstrung with indecision.

Whew. *blows breath through lips* Which story to start with?? Honestly, I'd have to say Raincheck. I think it is fairly representative of the kind of story I like to tell (and it has the advantage of being short and cheap!). All kidding aside, it *is* short--perhaps shorter than it could have been, but it started out as a submission story for an anthology that outgrew its cage. It has a fairytale vibe I like as well, and I was concerned I'd wreck that if I expanded the story much more. Okay, off to find you an excerpt!

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments This is an excerpt from Crying for the Moon. I took it out of my last original manuscript (rather than the completely proofed galley) because I get frustrated by copying something into a comment box and posting it, only to discover it had all this weird invisible code in it that looks weird. :-) So all errors are mine.

In this scene, Alex has been landed with a houseful of unexpected guests after one of them has been injured. His neighbor, Tate, has come over to help out.

Excerpt rated R for language)

Out in the hallway, he paused. “Nick’s going to be bringing Peter out in a second. Why don’t you show me the rest of the upstairs?” He headed toward the locked door, his hand reaching for the knob.

“That room’s off limits,” Alex said.

Tate stopped, his hand hovering over the handle, his gaze speculatively on the key in the lock. He lowered his hand to his side and smiled winningly at Alex. “Bluebeard’s chamber?”

“Something like that,” Alex agreed, surprised at how much he resented the existence of the coffin right now.

Tate nodded, all teasing vanished. “So, what’s in this room?” He indicated the other closed door in the hallway.

Alex made a face as he opened the door and revealed the chaos within. “It’s sort of my junk room at the moment.” A thin layer of sawdust covered the floor. The sander lay on its side beneath a set of sawhorses. A paint-spattered drop cloth lay piled against one wall, as well as several cans of paint and semi-washed out rollers. His toolkit was open; the contents scattered haphazardly around it from the last time he’d used it.

Tate stepped inside the room, surveying it as he stood in the center. “It wouldn’t take too much to clear it out,” he suggested. “Look, I have a spare mattress set up at my place that I’ve been dying for someone to take off my hands. We could take the Mystery Mobile up there to get it and set it up in here. That would give you at least another place for people to sleep without resorting to the floor.”

“That’s too much trouble to go to for just a few days,” Alex said. “It’s not like I have guests staying over on a regular basis.”

“It’s no trouble at all,” Tate insisted. “Besides, things change.” His smile was warm and promising before he suddenly got an alert expression on his face. The smile returned, this time looking naughty. “Did you hear that?”

“Hear what?” Alex frowned. Usually his hearing was superior to everyone else’s. Usually you’re not so distracted, he thought.

Tate took hold of his sleeve and dragged him over to the wall, releasing Alex to place his ear near the pale green surface. “Listen.”

At first, all Alex could think about was how easily Tate touched people. First Nick, then Peter, now him. Then he heard running water. Made sense, the bathroom was on that side. Nick and Peter were in there now.

“No, ow!” He heard Peter’s protest clearly, followed by the lower, indistinct murmur of Nick’s response. He had no idea the walls were thin enough that Tate could hear through them. Of course, he realized that he seldom had anyone over and no previous way to test this fact.

“No, I’m serious, Nick, that fucking hurts. I don’t care if all my flesh rots off; you are not doing that again. Cut it out!” He heard the sound of a hand swatting a solid body.

“You are such a big baby,” Nick said, his voice almost soothing. “Come on, buddy. Let me help you out here.”

“Just leave me the fuck alone.” Peter sounded more pathetic than pissed.

“It can’t hurt everywhere,” Nick said in a reasonable tone of voice.

“Yes, yes, it does,” Peter insisted. “It hurts to just sit here. It hurts to fucking breathe. I’m not going to let you pour that shit on me and poke around in my lacerated flesh.”

“Big words, Professor. I’m almost done. Come on, that doesn’t hurt, does it?”

Alex strained to listen, pressing his ear up close against the wall as well. He found himself almost nose to nose with Tate, his expression wicked and charming. Alex started to pull back, but Tate grabbed him by the arm and briefly held a finger up to his lips.

“Well, no,” Peter admitted in a small voice. “That doesn’t hurt too much.”

“How about here?” Nick questioned and the husky overtones in his voice sent a little pool of heat to Alex’s belly. He thought he could make out the sound of lips against skin and he glanced involuntarily at Tate.

Tate’s pupils dilated suddenly, and his lips parted; his breathing was shallow and rapid. He smiled seductively at Alex when their glances met. He pulled Alex closer to him, so that their breath mingled; the warmth of Tate’s body was a siren song to Alex’s pulse.

“How about here?” Nick’s voice was practically a purr.

“You might have to go a little lower than that,” Peter suggested with a slight rasp to his voice.

Alex brought his hand to Tate’s face and pulled him all the way in for a kiss. He could feel Tate smile beneath his lips and then somehow Tate had turned them so that Alex’s shoulders had landed against the wall with a small thump, all the while continuing to kiss Alex hungrily. It had been a long time since Alex had kissed anyone like this. Victor hadn’t believed in kissing and only did it when seducing his next victim.

Tate kissed Alex as though he couldn’t get enough of him and the surge of excitement it caused made Alex want to strip him down then and there. Tate’s tongue pushing against his own brought to mind Alex’s hot tub fantasy. When Tate slipped a warm hand under Alex’s sweater and began to curl his fingers into Alex’s flesh, Alex opened his mouth with a small moan before Tate swallowed it down with another kiss.

“Did you hear something?” Alex heard Nick ask on the other side of the wall.

“Shut up and get back to what you were doing,” Peter ordered. “Hurt man in need of some comfort here.”

Alex heard Peter’s murmured, “Oh, yeah, now that’s more like it.” Tate kissed him fiercely, fucking Alex with his mouth, only to break off and nip at his throat. Alex couldn’t help it; he arched back and dug his fingers into Tate’s shoulders. Tate wasn’t shy with his teeth and the pleasure-pain sensation was exquisite. You know he’d like some of the same, Alex’s mind suggested evilly.

end excerpt (because it's a teaser, hah!)

message 23: by Pickles (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) Hey, Sarah! I have both "Raincheck" and "Crying for the Moon" on my TBR. I'm looking forward to reading them! Congrats on the other releases you have coming up, too. :D

message 24: by Lou (new)

Lou Sylvre | 360 comments Sarah, you made a fabulous choice of excerpts after all! I really like the mix of practical man-thinking, sex, emotion, and memory. The conversation between Nick and Peter in the other room provides a little humor as well. But most intriguing, I know the subject of the room that's off limits is not going to go away for Tate, sex or no. Interesting to find out what they're each going to do about it. The excerpt over all is quite a teaser.

I've seen some other covers by Anne Cain as well, and yes, great work. I also am a big fan of Reese Dante's covers. (She did the cover for Loving Luki Vasquez, and I've had many people comment on it.)

Okay, Raincheck it is. This looks like a story I'll enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm outta here, now, but I'll check back to read the rest of the discussion——very interesting and lively so far. Congrats on all the recent releases and of course on the upcoming Crying for the Moon. I'm looking forward to that.

Sarah wrote: "This is an excerpt from Crying for the Moon. I took it out of my last original manuscript (rather than the completely proofed galley) because I get frustrated by copying something into a comment b..."

message 25: by S.A. (new)

S.A. (sa_garcia) | 302 comments Sarah said: "I seldom write in first person--I usually write in third person limited, which isn't always very popular, I'm afraid. I guess I just like the challenge of telling a story from one POV only. I've written stories where I switch between protagonists, but never in the same scene. It makes me a little nuts to read something that is bouncing around between everyone's heads!"

Hi Sarah, sorry I didn't confirm about dropping by but I wasn't sure what today had in store for me.

Aha, now I understand the barn references over at Twitter. I didn't realize you worked as a vet.

It's funny you bring up the POV issue. I think people like third person limited. When I was accused of head-hopping I conducted a bit of a rant about the subject. It's all personal taste, I suppose.

Always glad to see someone else who started their writing engines with fanfic. Do you mind me asking what genre?

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Harper wrote: "Hey, Sarah! I have both "Raincheck" and "Crying for the Moon" on my TBR. I'm looking forward to reading them! Congrats on the other releases you have coming up, too. :D"

Hah! Music to my ears! :-) Thank you, I really hope you enjoy them both. I admit, when I realized I would have two paranormal stories out on the market in time for Dragon*con, I got a little excited about the possibility of being able to promote them there. I had business cards made up with my website information on them, but then I saw where RJ Scott had created some bookmarks for one of her novels--and they are truly eye-catching!

I have a good friend with the Photoshop skills I lack who helped me create the layout for these bookmarks--now I just have to send them off to get printed! I know bookmarks will probably become obsolete in the future, but they were just too pretty to resist!

I tried to post them here as a preview, but I couldn't make the coding work. I'll put them up on LJ or Facebook later. I'm akasarahmadison on live journal and all my links are on my website page at SarahMadisonFiction.com if you want to check out the bookmarks later. :-)

[image error]

and [image error]

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Lou wrote: "Sarah, you made a fabulous choice of excerpts after all! I really like the mix of practical man-thinking, sex, emotion, and memory. The conversation between Nick and Peter in the other room provide..."

Now you have me wanting to dash off and find Loving Luki Vasquez just to see the cover--Reese does some gorgeous work, eh?

I'm so pleased you took the time to drop in and ask such good questions--I would have forgotten all about posting an excerpt!

As a matter of fact, thank ALL of you for doing the same. I really thought this afternoon would be one in which I sat listening to the sound of crickets chirping (and got caught up on my laundry). Thank you for keeping me on track for not cleaning my house before I leave town next week. :-)

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments S.A. wrote: "Sarah said: "I seldom write in first person--I usually write in third person limited, which isn't always very popular, I'm afraid. I guess I just like the challenge of telling a story from one POV ..."

Hey, I know how that goes! I'm always replying 'maybe' to these invites because I frequently do not get off work on time on a Saturday. I took the whole day off today to make sure I would be here!

The barn is my hobby--dogs and cats are my day job. I do some of my best story plotting at the barn though! There's something about mindless, physical tasks that I find very freeing--and I often find myself working out a tricky plot point or finding the perfect piece of dialog with a grand "Eureka!" moment while I'm cleaning stalls. :-)

I had to laugh at what you said about third person limited--golly, I hope you're right. One of the complaints I sometimes see is a certain level of frustration on the part of the reader that they didn't know what everyone else was thinking. I don't mind switching up to a point, but I try to stay in one POV within a scene. I think though, to a certain extent, it depends a bit on what you've read and what you're accustomed to seeing.

A lot of my British friends write in the present tense, which drives me *nuts*--but when I re-read some of my favorite British murder mysteries from the 30's and 40's, I see that most of them were written in the present tense--so it may be cultural there.

When I started writing fanfic, I switched back and forth frequently, got hammered for it, and learned to write in the limited third after that. Now I see that most people don't do that, but I'm not sure how easy it would be for me to alter my style now.

Well, I did bring up the fanfic, didn't I? *red-faced* I'm a HUGE sci-fi buff. Star Trek, Firefly, Babylon 5, Stargate. I love cop dramas and mysteries too, but quite often to me there seems to be less scope for writing fanfic there. I mean, The Closer (and In Plain Sight, White Collar, etc) is damn near perfect the way it is--why would I try to improve upon it?

I think fanfic is a way of spending more time with the characters that you love--having more adventures with them than the show gives you. I also think the shows with the most active fanfic writers are shows with interesting, quirky characters that don't always get the backstory and relationship drama that the viewer wants. Hence the birth of fanfiction. :-)

message 29: by Elizabeth (last edited Jul 09, 2011 02:08PM) (new)

Elizabeth Noble HI!

Yay I made it. I only left work a half hour late today *grins* I felt like I was getting away with something.

Great excerpt. I'm a scifi lover too. And a fanfic lover.

message 30: by S.A. (new)

S.A. (sa_garcia) | 302 comments Sarah wrote: Well, I did bring up the fanfic, didn't I? *red-faced* I'm a HUGE sci-fi buff. Star Trek, Firefly, Babylon 5, Stargate.

I'm the fantasy buff so yep, I was a pretty heavy duty LotR fanfic writer.

Laughing about your mucking the stalls reference. Weeding the garden is my mucking although it's a far easier task!

How do you make time to write? You life already sounds extremely busy but there you are pushing out the great words. You need to pass me your energy!

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Elizabeth wrote: "HI!

Yay I made it. I only left work a half hour late today *grins* I felt like I was getting away with something.

Great excerpt. I'm a scifi lover too. And a fanfic lover."

I know what you mean about getting away from work--I'm glad you made it! (I'm glad everyone made it--I was certain there was going to be the sound of one hand clapping around here!)

I'm glad you liked the excerpt--I have the hardest time choosing those things. And does anyone *really* read promos when they come through on one of half dozen lists you might participate on? TBH, I scroll past most of those and I suspect everyone else does as well. I much prefer having *conversations* like you can here on GR or on LJ.

I cringe at the live chat thing--particularly when you might have 30-40 people going at once--how does anyone keep up? As it is here, I'm being so verbose that I'm having a hard time keeping up with the kind souls that have dropped in to prevent me from being lonely. :-)

Though, I'm reminded of when I was quite small and I got in trouble for talking in class. The teacher made me stand in the corner and 'talk to the wall' as punishment.

I began to tell the wall stories. The teacher had to send me back to my seat. *snort*

So what are your fav sci-fi shows?

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Harper wrote: "Hey, Sarah! I have both "Raincheck" and "Crying for the Moon" on my TBR. I'm looking forward to reading them! Congrats on the other releases you have coming up, too. :D"

Hah, I realized that my response to you here was a little 'go me!' but I really was trying to show you what the bookmarks looked like (and failed utterly). Which left me with a big set up and empty hands when the pictures wouldn't load. :-)

message 33: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Noble Sarah wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "HI!

Great excerpt. I'm a scifi lover too. And a fanfic lover."

I..."

Well Firefly, of course. Eureka, and the new season starts Monday---woo hoooo Being Human, the Star Treks, I liked the first two seasons of Primeval, but haven't really watched more.

How about you?

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments S.A. wrote: "Sarah wrote: Well, I did bring up the fanfic, didn't I? *red-faced* I'm a HUGE sci-fi buff. Star Trek, Firefly, Babylon 5, Stargate.

I'm the fantasy buff so yep, I was a pretty heavy duty LotR fa..."

Hmmm. That's a good question. When I was just getting my business off the ground, things were very slow and I had a lot of time on my hands--which is when I learned how to write all over again. I used to not be able to complete a story unless I could finish it in one 2-3 hour sitting. I wrote in a pedantic, linear sequence, and quite often my characters would get stuck in the bathroom, or eating breakfast as I tool them endlessly from point a to point b, unable to skip moments in time.

Then I began working on a fanfic story that had a WWII dream sequence in it. I wanted that bit to be accurate, so I started doing research--and a month later, I was *still* doing research. I was drawn into the heroism and drama that was the Battle of Britain, shocked and appalled at my own lack of understanding of the war and what these young men sacrificed to fight in it.

When I began to work on the story again, the WWII scenes were the most vivid in my mind--so I wrote them first. It was like finding a door into a secret garden when I realized I didn't *have* to write in a linear sequence. By writing the scene that I could see the most clearly, I was able to instill into it a freshness and accuracy of description that I failed to achieve before. I began to average a 15-30 K fanfic story per month--one day I wrote 10 K in a single afternoon.

When I'm in the middle of a story, I re-write obsessively. I re-read my work obsessively. I read very little of anything else when I'm writing, which these days, is more and more. I dropped out of triathlon training. I no longer compete my horse. I watch 1 or 2 hours of television every few days instead of 4 every evening. Sometimes I have to put blocks on Twitter and LJ so I will write instead of chat. I used to be *very* productive--I think I've slowed down quite a bit! ;-)

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "HI!

Great excerpt. I'm a scifi lover too. And a fan..."

Well, I don't have cable or satellite, so I don't always find out about new shows until they are available on DVD or online.

I have a weak tolerance for certain kinds of scary things--zombies scare the piss out of me! So, I watched the X-files, but not Supernatural. (I tried, I tried, but it kept scaring me!)

In many ways I'm so glad I saw Serenity first--because if I'd watched Firefly and *then* saw them kill so many beloved characters, I would have had an meltdown. I was also a huge fan of Defying Gravity, a small Canadian show most people haven't heard of because it didn't stay on the air long enough. All the Star Treks. The Star Trek Reboot. Babylon 5. Stargate Atlantis. Notice, most of these are older shows. These days, if I can't get it on Netflix or get the BF to tivo it for me, I'm two to three years behind everyone else in fandom. :-)

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments S.A. wrote: "Sarah wrote: Well, I did bring up the fanfic, didn't I? *red-faced* I'm a HUGE sci-fi buff. Star Trek, Firefly, Babylon 5, Stargate.

I'm the fantasy buff so yep, I was a pretty heavy duty LotR fa..."

I guess I should add to this comment that one of the things I don't do very well is keep up with all the chats and discussions on my various lists and digests. I realized that I was spending more time talking about writing than actually writing and made a conscious decision not to participate unless I really had something to say.

Unfortunately, that makes me seem kind of stand-offish and not a team player when it comes to all the lively back and forth on some of my lists. But seriously, I could waste an entire *day* on line just goofing off and at the end, would be pissed with myself for not being more productive when I had the time.

Which is why I am terribly grateful to each one of you for stopping by to say hi!

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Well, guys, technically my time is up. I do have to go feed a friend's cats and figure out what I'm having for dinner--my life would be so much simpler if Purina made People Chow. :-)

However, I'm willing to continue this conversation as long as anyone else is--which means feel free to come back and comment later at your own convenience--that includes a standing invitation as well to anyone who comes by and wants to join in. As long as GR will ping me when someone posts to this thread, then I will come back and reply. Because in case you haven't noticed, I can be a bit of a Chatty Cathy. :-)

Hope you all have a great rest of the weekend--it's back to work for me tomorrow!

message 38: by Pickles (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) Sarah wrote: "Harper wrote: "Hey, Sarah! I have both "Raincheck" and "Crying for the Moon" on my TBR. I'm looking forward to reading them! Congrats on the other releases you have coming up, too. :D"

Hah! Music..."

Will check them out! I'm Piper Vaughn on LJ. I just recently added you, I think. :)

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Harper wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Harper wrote: "Hey, Sarah! I have both "Raincheck" and "Crying for the Moon" on my TBR. I'm looking forward to reading them! Congrats on the other releases you have coming up, too. :D..."

I saw that! Thank you! I just added the bookmarks, so you should be able to see them there. :-)

message 40: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Noble Sarah wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "HI!

Great excerpt. I'm a scifi lo..."

Gah the end of Serenity gutted me.

I don't have cable either and watch mostly online. I set up my computer room as a sort of den. I have a new monitor that is 25 inches! That's bigger than my tv which is mostly for dvd watching.

Netflix is a wonderful thing.

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Netflix IS wonderful, only they don't have a lot of the shows I love to watch: The Closer, In Plain Sight, Castle, White Collar, etc. So I'm not sure I'm going to renew Netflix when my free trial runs out.

Because I saw Serenity first and then watched all of Firefly, I am able to treat Serenity as an alternate reality in my head. It's the only way I can deal with how they handled that! :-)

message 42: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Noble Yes, they do have those shows! Ok, not sure about the Closer, but I have the other three on my dvd list. Plain Sight I think is streaming too, not positive.

Give it a month as a paid for, you'll see more of what they have.

These people should give me commission...lol

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Ah, I mean *current* episodes. You know, as in this season. :-) I guess I have to pay extra or something? I'm not sure it's worth it for me, as I spend so little time at home these days.

Maybe they should give you a commission though!

message 44: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Noble Oh, no they only have completed seasons on Netflix, just like any video store would.

If you want current ones then you do need to pay someone for them, Amazon or iTunes, one of those types of places.

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Yeah, that's what I thought. Which is why my television watching has dropped off dramatically. :-)

I used to get SGA through Itunes back when I couldn't bear the wait for the DVDs to come out!

message 46: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Noble A girl at work turned me on to the watching a season when the DVDs came out. I have to admit I've come to enjoy it a lot, no waiting till next week or the week after for the next episode. Or worrying the recorder failed or the power will go out or whatever...lol

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments That's me and The Closer. I can have a little Brenda Leigh Marathon when the season set arrives. :-)

But I can watch The Closer over and over again. There aren't many shows that stand up to repeated watching in my book, or that I would pay money to own.

The other thing I've found is that without television, I don't really hear about new shows when they come out. I daresay I've missed some good ones. Unless I hear the buzz somewhere on my f-lists, I don't know they exist! Which is probably not a bad thing--more time to write, she says, rubbing her hands together evilly. :-)

message 48: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Noble I've found the same thing, though online viewing does have some ads and promos for other shows. A friend of mine suggested I do the old fashioned thing and get copies of TV guide, so I ordered it. She has found good shows she'd have otherwise missed and she has the uber-huge cable package deal thingy.

Like you I go by word of mouth a lot when it comes to things to watch.

Check out Sidereel.com for shows as they air, it usually takes them less than a day to have streaming or downloading links up. They have a really nice calendar feature that you can have sent to your email letting you know what's on when.

Apparently these people need to give me commission too.

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Madison (akasarahmadison) | 174 comments Thank you! That's all good information. I don't suppose you do hair, do you? ;-)

message 50: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Noble LOL...no.

« previous 1