Snow Crash Snow Crash discussion

Mental Casting

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wes I know that for some hardcore readers It's kind of taboo but I was wondering what actors other people pictured the characters as when they were reading this book.
Hiro could easily be played by Keanu Reeves. More the Matrix version then the Bill & Ted version obviously. The solemn techno samurai with an ambiguous ethnic background, Keanu is the best choice.
For Y.T. I can think of no one besides Chloe Moretz. Anyone who has seen Kick Ass knows why. A strong female lead who knows how to take care of herself.
Also, I don't have a good reason for this one but I see Raven as This guy. Maybe all that time so close to a nuclear warhead has aged him considerably.

Courtney I think that going with Keanu is a little to Jonnie Neumanic. Been a long time since i reread this but just can't see that as a good fit.

message 3: by Wes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wes Ah, well that's the hitch I suppose. The Keanu in my head is a much better actor then the real Keanu. And now that I've completed the book I think they might want to wait a few more years before Choosing Chloe Moretz as Y.T.

Caleb Blake Wes wrote: "Ah, well that's the hitch I suppose. The Keanu in my head is a much better actor then the real Keanu..."

And that's his major strength. Keanu is one actor that manages to slip past on the first view, but never on the second or third.

This is why Matrix seemed like a masterpiece of acting (from Keanu) the first time around, and a big chunk of spam on the second viewing. I could hardly keep myself from laughing out loud during some scenes.

Steve I am 100% with you Wes on Keanu...that was always my mental picture of Hiro when I read this book from page 1. Keanu is too old now, though.
I guess Elle Fanning would be old enough for the role of YT as well, but you are probably right about Chloe...but I think she would want to avoid future typecasting in that type of role, maybe.

Sahil Udani I cannot picture Hiro, as I have never seen an Afro-Asian :) but yeah some dark Korean guy would fit the bill...
But for raven this guy used to pop-up in my head:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0597388/

SubterraneanCatalyst I love Keanu Reeves but I don't think he'd be a suitable Hiro IMO.
I'm half Korean myself and have known several families that have half Korean/African American kids and well they tend to be darker obviously lol.
I didn't like your choice for Raven either lol. The Raven in my own head is brutally handsome :).
Y.T. would need to be a young actress with a good deal of gravitas as well as being ultra cute. Oh hell I don't think real humans can live up to any book characters I've grown to love!

Eric Sahil... you nailed Raven. That's exactly what I pictured in my head too.
I like the idea for Chloe for YT. Hiro is going to be the toughest to cast because Afro-Asian leading men don't seem to exist in Hollywood. I think if/when they cast it, they could go with a black lead and still make it work. Mos Def didn't do a horrible job as Ford Prefect in Hollywood's abortion of Hitchhikers Guide. If he hit the gym he could make it work. He's a decent actor.

David S. For Hiro, they should find the best Asian actor, who can swordfight. Making him black they could do the same thing as Downey in Tropic Thunder. LOL. I love the idea of Chloe for Y.T. Raven is an extremely hard one to cast. Too bad you couldn't go back in time and cast the indian from "one flew over the cuckcoo's nest". I think Tarantino should direct it.

Aaron The other day I was watching something with Donald Glover in it and I thought he'd make a great Hiro. Ellen Page as YT, perhaps? She's tiny so she can still play pretty young.

Thiago Jason Momoa, good one

Sahil wrote: "I cannot picture Hiro, as I have never seen an Afro-Asian :) but yeah some dark Korean guy would fit the bill...
But for raven this guy used to pop-up in my head:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0597388/"

message 12: by Matthew (last edited Jan 27, 2013 10:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew Williams Wes wrote: "I know that for some hardcore readers It's kind of taboo but I was wondering what actors other people pictured the characters as when they were reading this book.
Hiro could easily be played by Ke..."

Hiro Protagonist is part black, part Japanese. How would Keannu fit the bill? As for Bruce Spence, you're joking right? Not only is he incredibly skinny, old and wrinkled, he can't play an Aleut to save his life.

However, Jason Momoa could definitely fit Raven's bill. Or my brother-in-law, provided he could be persuaded to step in front of a camera again.