THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives - Movie Talk > CURRENT BOOKS AND FILMS YOU WOULD RECOMMEND TO FELLOW MEMBERS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,712 (1712 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 34 35

Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB  | 7278 comments Mod
As a community- lets share books we have recently read and films we have recently seen with fellow members- With such a wide variety of wonderful members- I know there are many book and film recommendations that will be much appreciated!!

most definately- as far as films- The King's Speech- brilliant!

message 3: by Derek (new)

Derek Gentry (derekgentry) | 2 comments +1 on The King's Speech!

"Midnight in Paris" is also a lot of fun, especially if you enjoy Fitzgerald & Hemingway!

message 4: by Jewel (new)

Jewel (jewela) | 24 comments Favorite books: The Last Promise and all other Richard Paul Evans novels.
The Outlander Seriesby Diana Gabaldon
The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Kahleed Hossini (sp)
Beneath a Marble Sky: John Shors
Movies: Inception, The Prestige, The Shawshank Redemption, August Rush. Too many to name:-)

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 57 comments I absolutely love, love, love Dexter!!! All of the series. I've seen four and I'm waiting for the fifth one. Now I'm reading the book and it's just as good. The video series is the best show I've ever seen on TV or video. The story is fantastic, the direction of the show is perfect, and the actors are all fabulous. I can't wait for series five to be available, but when I've seen that, I'll have to watch them all over again or I'll have super withdrawals. Gruesome, but extremely funny and you never know what's going to happen next. I'd rate it ten stars, no a hundred. LOL.

Jeff Lindsey is awesome and is now my favourite author, well equal to Roald Dahl anyway.

Dexter An Omnibus (Dexter, #1-3) by Jeff Lindsay Dexter: An Omnibus

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1) by Jeff Lindsay

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000...

message 7: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (DouglasWjacobson) | 13 comments I would highly recommend THE BONE HOUSE, a thriller, murder mystery with well drawn characters and a finely crafted plot that will keep you turning pages right to the end. And, as a bonus, the story is set in beautiful Door County, Wisconsin where I have a home and have done most of my writing!

Douglas W. Jacobson
Author,
NIGHT OF FLAMES
THE KATYN ORDER

message 8: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 54 comments TV - Chuck and Burn Notice
Movies - Just loved Suck, a vampire comedy rock opera about the price of fame. Despicable Me. What's Up Doc. I have a lot of favorite movies but these are the ones I've seen most recently from my extensive DVD collection.
Books - Most recently read WereWoof and Sweet Light, two new releases from my fellow Echelon authors. One is a werewolf and vampire comedy, the other is a fantasy romance that looks like the first in a series.

message 9: by Lars (new)

Lars | 10 comments well this is going to be hard....
tv show i think at the moment im into falling sky a sci-fy and also true blood.D
movie i just seen and would recommend well there is priest also Hanna good action movie a bit diffrent.

books well i am reading Cassandra Clare at the moment and am enjoying them so her books are worth a read.
also if u have the time and enjoy fantasy books i think Robert Jordans wheel of time series are the best fantasy serie out there. and last book should be out soon.
with regards lars

message 10: by Kendall (new)

Kendall (kendallfurlong) | 14 comments Not liking TV and reading genre only to escape, my recommendations may not be relevant. Dr. Strangelove is probably the best comedy of all times, but the absolute best movie is surely La Grande Illusion . Both are old, but with movie makers minds addled by their new digital toys, neither have been surpassed, imho.

Books are harder and the 'classics' by and large deserve the sobriquet. A worthwhile recent entry without greater claims than "very interesting and thoughtful" is Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow about the first Jesuit mission to Alpha Centauri. If it's for you, the premise alone should grab you.

Derek wrote: "+1 on The King's Speech!

"Midnight in Paris" is also a lot of fun, especially if you enjoy Fitzgerald & Hemingway!"

a friend saw that film and loved it- but said that a knowledge of the "Lost Generation" enhanced his viewing pleasure

message 12: by Gabby-Lily (new)

Gabby-Lily Raines (glraines) | 31 comments Hmmm.....as far as books go, I can't say I have an overall favorite book/author so much as favorites in different genres.

Historical fantasy - Guy Gavriel Kay (fell in love with Under Heaven) & Judith Tarr (really like her 'Crusader' books - Devil's Bargain, House of War, The Hound and the Falcon trilogy, etc.)

Thriller - Steve Berry and James Rollins. I have read Dan Brown's books before I read theirs, but prefer these two over Dan Brown. Scott Mariani is good as well, although only one of his books has been published in the US so far (has a few others pub'ed in the UK). If you like a bit about underwater archaelogy to go with your thrills, David Gibbins is great.

Fantasy - three favorites here: Ben Weeks, Patrick Rothfuss, and Douglas Hulick.

Alternate History - of the books I have read Harry Turtledove I like the most.

Sci-Fi: I like what I have read of Allen Steele's books.

Would have to sort through the stacks to see where some of the other authors I like fall into.

Movies......Liked The King's Speech a lot. Salt is good if you like action (okay, this one is put in because I'm a huge fan of Daniel Olbrychski, a wonderful Polish actor, and I think this is his first role in a US movie).

Gabby-Lily wrote: "Hmmm.....as far as books go, I can't say I have an overall favorite book/author so much as favorites in different genres.

Historical fantasy - Guy Gavriel Kay (fell in love with Under Heaven) & Ju..."

James Rollins is a member of James Mason and provided a great Q&A that is posted

Have not seen Salt- tempted to get it on bluray-
heard great things about Woody Allen's new film

message 14: by Terri Lynn (new)

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) | 13 comments I have been rewatching some of my favorite German movies like THE LIVES OF OTHERS (my favorite), THE BLACK BOOK, and THE TUNNEL. They are all top-notch movies. I, too, loved THE KING'S SPEECH.

"The cast is a bunch of nobodies " is a plus for me- means story is plot centered rather than star centered

message 16: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 153 comments Rick wrote: "Gabby-Lily wrote: "Hmmm.....as far as books go, I can't say I have an overall favorite book/author so much as favorites in different genres.

Historical fantasy - Guy Gavriel Kay (fell in love wi..."

Hey Rick you can watch Salt on intstant on Netflix

My newest obsession on Netflix is SG-1 I've watched 8 1/2 seasons so far and just love it! I know its a tv show and not a movie but its all I've been watching.Other than the new Torchwood Miracle Day on Starz.

I am another huge fan of The King's Speech book and movie!

message 17: by Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB (last edited Jul 10, 2011 07:19PM) (new)

Susie wrote: "Rick wrote: "Gabby-Lily wrote: "Hmmm.....as far as books go, I can't say I have an overall favorite book/author so much as favorites in different genres.

Historical fantasy - Guy Gavriel Kay (fe..."

thanks- will put SG-1 in my queque

message 18: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Wilson (StorytellerTDW) Saw Horrible Bosses over the weekend and it was laugh your soda pop out your nose funny!

message 19: by Merrill (new)

Merrill Heath | 28 comments Recently watched "Half Light" starring Demi Moore. Thoroughly enjoyed it - entertaining plot, good acting, gorgeous scenery and cinematography.

Merrill Heath
Mysteries Worth Investigating

message 20: by Lars (new)

Lars | 10 comments well i just saw Hanna, good movie a little diffrent but that only mad it better in my oppion.
also i love Salt it is a great action movie with a super plot.
anyone seen the new harry potter movie yet? is it any good?

message 21: by Jeni (new)

Jeni Jones If anyone is in to YA, I'd definitely recommend Divergent. I really enjoyed it. Mostly though, the books I'm reading right now are sequels, or ones that you should 'read before you die'.

I recently saw Bad Teacher in the cinema and loved it. I didn't think it would be all that great but I found it really funny :)

message 22: by Merrill (new)

Merrill Heath | 28 comments Jeni, I'm curious about the books you have on your "should read before you die" list.

Merrill Heath
It's Always Five O'clock

message 23: by Shay (new)

Shay | 528 comments Merrill wrote: "Jeni, I'm curious about the books you have on your "should read before you die" list.

Merrill Heath
It's Always Five O'clock"

I think she's referring to the book list(s)- 1001 Books You Should Read Before You Die. It's a list devoted to books that have influenced, shaped, etc. the development of the novel.

Link to the GR group for this list. (I'm linking to the specific thread devoted to links to the various versions of the list- there where 3 lists because they updated/changed books) http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 24: by Lars (new)

Lars | 10 comments yeah ok i must admitte i too love dexter. what not to love a serial killing serial killer. :)

also sons of anachy is a real good tv show.

what more is there to watch... ok ok i must admite i also love to watch greys anatomy and castle they are just fun to watch not very deep but good entertainment,

message 25: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 57 comments Lars wrote: "yeah ok i must admitte i too love dexter. what not to love a serial killing serial killer. :)

also sons of anachy is a real good tv show.

what more is there to watch... ok ok i must admite i ..."

Lars, I just watched the last episode of the fourth series. Yipes. I have to see the next one, but I don't think it's available yet. I'll check Amazon. K Mart in Australia don't have it yet. Oh, I'm getting withdrawals now as I have no more Dexter to watch. The guy who plays Dexter is the best actor, ever.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1) by Jeff Lindsay

message 26: by Merrill (new)

Merrill Heath | 28 comments I think she's referring to the book list(s)- 1001 Boo..."

Thanks, Shay. I'll check it out.

Merrill Heath
Bearing False Witness

message 27: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 4751 comments Mod
Patricia wrote: "I absolutely love, love, love Dexter!!! All of the series. I've seen four and I'm waiting for the fifth one. Now I'm reading the book and it's just as good. The video series is the best show I've e..."

I like the Dexter TV series also. Michael C. Hall was also great in "Six Feet Under" - another great TV series. have you seen that one Patricia?

message 28: by Patricia (last edited Jul 14, 2011 08:36AM) (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 57 comments Barbara wrote: "Patricia wrote: "I absolutely love, love, love Dexter!!! All of the series. I've seen four and I'm waiting for the fifth one. Now I'm reading the book and it's just as good. The video series is the..."

Yes, Barbara, I have and I loved that too. I'm reading the book, Dexter An Omnibus, at the moment and it's as good as the show. The author has a great writing style.

Michael C. Hall was perfect for the part of Dexter. He has such a quirky voice. I think that's what I love about him, but also his expressions and timing. My husband wouldn't watch it at first. He thought it was just a soapie, then he got hooked too and loves it.

message 29: by Lars (new)

Lars | 10 comments Patricia i know this is not the legal way to watch tv shows but i DL from pirate sites i live in a country that normaly is 1-2 years behind america and i dont have the patients to wait for that so i get them online and watch them the day after they been show in america. maybe that how u get the last season of dexter whichh i must say is FANTASTIC..... loved it
with regards lars

message 30: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 57 comments Lars wrote: "Patricia i know this is not the legal way to watch tv shows but i DL from pirate sites i live in a country that normaly is 1-2 years behind america and i dont have the patients to wait for that ..."

Hey, Lars, thanks for that. I think it's coming out soon though and I was going to buy it for a relative's birthday. Teehee I'll watch it first. LOL. serves her right because she hinted at the endings to two of the series, which spoilt it a bit as I guessed the endings, kind of. So I'll make sure she hasn't seen it before me. LOL. I told her too and she said I was cheeky.

I'm glad the last series lived up to the rest.

message 31: by Lars (new)

Lars | 10 comments lol what an evil thing to do to hint about the ending that like the biggest spoiler alert violation i have ever heard about.... the cliff hangers are the best...
well i hope u get it. and enjoy it as much as i did

with regard
lars

message 32: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 57 comments Lars wrote: "lol what an evil thing to do to hint about the ending that like the biggest spoiler alert violation i have ever heard about.... the cliff hangers are the best...
well i hope u get it. and enj..."

Lars, which character did you like the most? I loved Dexter, but his sister was a crack up. I loved all antagonists in each series, but liked Jimmy Schmits. He's a great actor. My husband like a different one.

message 33: by R.D. (new)

R.D. LeCoeur | 28 comments just a heads up for all you peeps that like British tv and especially Dr Who & Torchwood. (There was a thread aeons ago about this but I can't find it)
Anyhow the new 10 part series of Torchwood aired in the UK last night and was very entertaining. Unlike its predecessors this seemed more adult and was beautifully shot.

message 34: by Merrill (new)

Merrill Heath | 28 comments I've seen a couple of Inspector Lynley Mysteries through Netflix that I enjoyed. I'm a big fan of British mysteries.

Merrill Heath
Bearing False Witness

message 35: by Barbara (last edited Jul 15, 2011 01:40PM) (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 4751 comments Mod
W. Ron wrote: "If you like movies with:

1) Slow-paced drama and very little other than dialogue from very good actors moving the story along,

2) Scenes that may challenge your stereotypes,

3) A good reli..."

You convinced mw W. Ron. I've 'saved' The Ledge on my Netflix queue; I'll get it when it comes out on DVD. :)

message 36: by Jeni (new)

Jeni Jones Merrill wrote: "I think she's referring to the book list(s)- 1001 Boo..."

Thanks, Shay. I'll check it out.

Merrill Heath
Bearing False Witness"

Yes! This is what I meant. Sorry for not replying earlier, but I see someone else was able to point you in the right direction :) I wouldn't agree with everything on the list, but there are some great ones there.

message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth | 126 comments Anyone with a writing, reading, historical, or European interest (does that cover everyone here?) should go see the movie, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, directed by Woody Allen and starring Owen Wilson. It's a very entertaining movie for an author to see! Wouldn't we all love to have Gertrude Stein give us feedback on a work-in-progress? ;-)

Being on a French kick, I also rented and saw a great mystery movie last night, a French flick titled A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT. It's a missing-person mystery versus a murder mystery, though murder is involved, and the plot twists and turns were fascinating. I recommend it for those who don't mind reading subtitles.

message 38: by Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB (last edited Jul 16, 2011 05:31PM) (new)

Beth wrote: "Anyone with a writing, reading, historical, or European interest (does that cover everyone here?) should go see the movie, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, directed by Woody Allen and starring Owen Wilson. It's ..."

was Woody in that film at all> or just directed it?

message 39: by Haven Angel (new)

Haven Angel Well id deffinitly recamend The Art Of Racing in the Rain by garth stein
its one of my favorite books,

Its told/narrated from a dogs point of view,
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31...

The face behind the mask wrote: "Well id deffinitly recamend The Art Of Racing in the Rain by garth stein
its one of my favorite books,

Its told/narrated from a dogs point of view,
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31......"

reminds me of a book I read years ago- Ben and Me- narrated by Ben Franklin's "mouse" loved it!! Ben and Me by Cameron Gunn

message 41: by Haven Angel (new)

Haven Angel That sounds really cool,
its not verry often you find somthing narrated by a mouse

message 42: by Tnmi02 (new)

Tnmi02 New England Witch Chronicles

Very good young adult novel. 1st in a 4 book series

message 43: by Beth (new)

Beth | 126 comments Rick wrote: "Beth wrote: "Anyone with a writing, reading, historical, or European interest (does that cover everyone here?) should go see the movie, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, directed by Woody Allen and starring Owen ..."

Rick,
Woody Allen wasn't in the film at all. but Owen Wilson did a good job of channeling his character. At times, I could swear I heard Woody's voice when Owen was speaking.

Beth wrote: "Rick wrote: "Beth wrote: "Anyone with a writing, reading, historical, or European interest (does that cover everyone here?) should go see the movie, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, directed by Woody Allen and s..."

a friend who saw the fim said the same thing!

message 45: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) If anyone here (besides me) likes the Harry Potter film, I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 last night.

I loved it. Well paced, well acted. I cried a lot. Very cathartic (for me anyway).

message 46: by Lars (new)

Lars | 10 comments Patricia i like dexter the best michael hall acting is so smooth and good that i cannot but love him, he is so diffrent from the other actors out there in tv land.

message 47: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 153 comments Ellie wrote: "If anyone here (besides me) likes the Harry Potter film, I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 last night.

I loved it. Well paced, well acted. I cried a lot. Very cathart..."

I agree it was so good so good infact my daughter & I barely said a word the whole movie not like Half Blood Prince where we grumbled almost all the way through!

I think they did a great job on this one with lines right out of the books!

anyone see Mad Men? AMC?

message 49: by Lars (new)

Lars | 10 comments i did not get too follow mad men from the start so i never really got into it. but i understand many people find it real good.
i normally like show with a little action in it like Sons of Anachy orr walking dead both brilliant shows that i would recommend

message 50: by Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB (last edited Sep 19, 2018 01:35PM) (new)

The BFG Mad Libs by Leigh Olsen Carroll wrote: "I tried once or twice, Rick, just couldn't get into it."

Lars wrote: "i did not get too follow mad men from the start so i never really got into it. but i understand many people find it real good.
i normally like show with a little action in it like Sons of Anachy ..."

thanks- heard some good things about it- but trust my James Masoners more!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 34 35
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.