Books on the Nightstand discussion

BOTNS Retreat, Apr. 8-10, 2011 > Retreat attendees are cool!

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 08, 2011 07:32PM) (new)

(but those who couldn't attend are cool too!)

So I went into my area indie bookstore this afternoon to pick up a copy of The Reservoir and I was talking with the owner of the store about a book group meeting I recently missed. She said there were a few new members in attendance and I guess she mentioned I was a regular at the book group but couldn't attend the discussion that evening; somehow they got to talking about the BOTNS Retreat (I may mention it everytime I am in the store) and Arlene (the owner) said that I went. Apparently one of the newbies was very impressed that I was able to go and she can't wait to talk to me about it.
Very rarely (well, never) am I on the cutting edge of hip-ness, so I am going to enjoy my trendy status even if only in my own mind.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenf) | 66 comments Well, I think you're cool, Suzanne! :)

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2765 comments Mod
...and it helps to be cool in this hot weather, too!

Glad you're on the cutting edge. I'm still riding the high from that weekend.

message 4: by nancy (new)

nancy (npjacoby) | 261 comments I'm going to vouch for Suzanne And Karen's trendiness..two very hip BOTNS retreat-ers!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Suzanne wrote: "(but those who couldn't attend are cool too!)

So I went into my area indie bookstore this afternoon to pick up a copy of The Reservoir and I was talking with the owner of the stor..."

Oh my, I love this post so much, for so many reasons.
Really and truly ... I hope we see you at Booktopia 2012.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2765 comments Mod
Ann wrote: "... I hope we see you at Booktopia 2012"

You know, Ann, (and I do hate to bring this up, but then again, I don't) we were already booked by this time last year for this year's Booktopia.

Is there going to be one in 2012 or maybe make it every other year?

Can't wait to sleep in those sheets again!

message 7: by Ann (new)

Linda dear,
As I mentioned on last week's podcast, we will announce details of Booktopia 2012 in Sept. I know it's later than last year, but this year is more complicated so it's taking us a bit longer to work out the details. Please be patient with us. We will soon have a special email list for retreat news....

There will be a retreat in 2012, don't you worry!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Ann wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "(but those who couldn't attend are cool too!)

So I went into my area indie bookstore this afternoon to pick up a copy of The Reservoir and I was talking with the own..."

As soon as you announce the dates, I'll be putting in my vacation request :-)

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenf) | 66 comments Suzanne wrote: "Ann wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "(but those who couldn't attend are cool too!)

So I went into my area indie bookstore this afternoon to pick up a copy of The Reservoir and I was talkin..."

And I will be kissing up to the hubby! (well, more than usual.) :)

message 10: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstybooks) | 116 comments I would so love to come over to the retreat in 2012. No idea if I'll be able to save enough money by then but I'll be trying... if only the flights weren't so expensive!!

message 11: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments Between this post here and this article I read today:

http://www.salon.com/books/laura_mill...

I now have reading retreats and Booktopia on the brain!

message 12: by Joanne-in-Canada (new)

Joanne-in-Canada (inkling_jo) | 255 comments Ann wrote: "Hope to see you at Booktopia 2012"

When did the retreat get a name? I had such difficulty explaining it to other people. At first it was a "podcast retreat" (what the heck would you do there?), later it was a "readers' retreat". If people were interested, they could ask for details!

Several of my friends have told me they envy me for having gone on the retreat. And one of those friends lives year-round in a camper, summering in Calgary, wintering in Vancouver, in between travelling to Mexico and/or Europe!! (She doesn't have as much time to read as she would like...)

So, Ann, are you planning a BookUtopia or a BookDystopia?

message 13: by Ann (new)

Last year's retreat was dubbed Booktopia by someone at the retreat. I cannot remember who. Then Linda mentioned that to Bob Gray, the reporter from Shelf Awareness, who then used it in his article. And then someone who read Bob's article blogged about wishing she had been there, and use the same term. So, voila, Booktopia 2012.

The beauty of Booktopia is that it is open to each individual's interpretation of Utopia or Dystopia. I suspect that for some of the spouses that were dragged along, it may have been the latter. For me, nothing but the utopian all the way.

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate | 269 comments Ann wrote: "Last year's retreat was dubbed Booktopia by someone at the retreat. I cannot remember who. Then Linda mentioned that to Bob Gray, the reporter from Shelf Awareness, who then used it in his article...."

My husband was "dragged" along, but for him it went from Dystopia to Utopia very quickly!! He is ready for next year, so lucky me! I can't wait for Utopia again.

message 15: by Helen (new)

Helen | 25 comments For me this year's retreat was Awesome! For everyone!As everyone else I am looking forward to 2012!!

message 16: by Kats (new)

Kats (kats1) | 134 comments I was so delighted to hear that there will be a BOTNS retreat in 2012, and I am determined to come, so will start saving my pennies asap as well as start collecting brownie points with my other half, so he'll take time off to let me travel (I'll be coming from Switzerland). In order to get the best (read: cheapest) flight fare from Zurich to ???, it would be great to know the exact dates and location as soon as you've decided.... am very excited at the prospect even if this is still more than a year away!

message 17: by Trish (new)

Trish (bowedbookshelf) Geez-o-peezie. What have you begun, Ann & Michael?

message 18: by Lil (new)

Lil | 216 comments I am definitely attending this year!!! Can't wait!

message 19: by Louise (new)

Louise | 279 comments Kirsty wrote: "I would so love to come over to the retreat in 2012. No idea if I'll be able to save enough money by then but I'll be trying... if only the flights weren't so expensive!!"

I so agree with you Kirsty! I hope I'll be able to go too - and my husband seems somewhat persuadable if we can afford it :-)

message 20: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstybooks) | 116 comments Luckily I don't have anyone to try to persuade ;) It is just a question of money for me.

message 21: by Louise (new)

Louise | 279 comments Well leaving him with dogs & kids on his own for a while does at least take asking nicely :-) But it's mainly a question of money for me too.

message 22: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstybooks) | 116 comments Haha, yeah some special treatment wouldn't go amiss I'm sure :) Just be extra nice to him - I'm sure he'll see how much you want to go!

message 23: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 366 comments I stopped by Northshire Bookstore today (I'm on vacation in VT) - hadn't been here for 4 years, but it was as great as ever. I was talking to the woman who rung up my order about the BOTN retreat and she said what a great time they had with all the attendees and what a great group it was. So I thought I would share. My family are really e-readers these days, but we still managed to contribute $200 to the Manchester economy in there!

message 24: by Ann (new)

Victoria, that's so cool! Thank you for mentioning BOTNS. I hope you went home with some great books!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I love that bookstore. If I lived closer to it I would seriously be broke.

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Trish wrote: "Geez-o-peezie. What have you begun, Ann & Michael?"

Something wonderful, we hope! :)

message 27: by Helen (new)

Helen | 25 comments Right on Michael.. You and Ann open the door for an awesome adventure!!