Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Letters from Jenny

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 362 comments There is at least one other edition - I have it in hand. It says 'edited and interpreted' by Gordon W. Allport. I'm having trouble reading through the hype on the back to get a description. I came to GR hoping for help to decide whether to read it, and didn't get any - can any of you find any information about it?

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments Do you have an isbn?

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments There are some reviews on it, here: http://www.amazon.com/Letters-Jenny-G...

message 4: by Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (last edited Jul 10, 2011 09:17AM) (new)

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 362 comments EDIT! I found a description on ebay which corrected a misinterpretation I'd derived from the Amazon reviews.

No isbn - just a Library of Congress Card Catalog number 65-18327.

Two of those Amazon reviews are identical, and much longer than a typical GR description. Maybe you could just add something like "Allport, a professor of Psychology, analyzes a woman through her letters to friends about, principally, her son, with whom she has a complex relationship. A book often studied by psychologists and students." Them's my words and you're welcome to them (my copy has the assignment notes written by a student).

Or, here's ebay:

Publisher's Note

A collection of letters, long famous among psychologists, written by a mature woman to two remote friends, mostly about her estranged son. With a preface and six chapters of interpretation by the editor.

Portions of this page Copyright 1995 - 2011 Muze Inc. All rights reserved.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 362 comments See now this is why I don't want to be a librarian - too complex for me. I'm so thankful for all of you and your efforts!

message 6: by Vicky (last edited Jul 10, 2011 09:32AM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Out of curiosity, why do you think yours is a separate edition from the one on Goodreads? The Library of Congress Card (using your LCCC#) and the World Cat Entry (using the ISBN) seem to have the same publication date.

I also found a review from a blogger and article information from the American Psychological Association.

Edit: I found a better version of the cover and added the publisher's note and the quote from the front cover to the description.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 362 comments My cover image is totally different.
Interesting material at the links, tx. At least now I know it's a legitimate book and not some little vanity thing or something. Definitely not of interest to me, but I'm glad we (you) were able to improve the GR database entry for it!