Banned Books Club discussion

Virginia Woolf
This topic is about Virginia Woolf
Authors for Future Reads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments I'm guessing that there must be some work (or works) by Virginia Woolf that was either banned or created a certain amount of disturbance and/or issues (either political, social, sexual, etc.)

It's been such a long time since I've read any of her books or stories. I'm wondering if she's written anything that would fit into this group, and if so, if we could add one of her books to the poll for one of the upcoming months.

message 2: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments That sounds great, I have never read any Virginia Woolf and have always wanted to. I found this but not sure whether the source is legitimate.

http://www.enotes.com/mrs-dalloway/q-...

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments This is great, Serena! I've never read Mrs. Dalloway, but based on this link you posted it seems that it would fit into our group reading list quite well. I think I started reading To the Lighthouse a long time ago, and I've been wanting to pick it up again. I'll do a search to see if there has been any "banned" or other issues with To The Lighthouse. Maybe we can put both books into one of our future polls???

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie S. Virginia Woolf sounds really interesting. I would love to read one of her books.

message 5: by Satia (new)

Satia I loved Mrs. Dalloway and apparently it was banned. Let's add this to the list of books for the August poll. I can't find anything that says if To the Lighthouse was banned which is too bad. I would love to read it but the lists on which I am finding it don't say it was banned or even challenged.

message 6: by Satia (last edited Jul 15, 2011 09:01AM) (new)

Satia Here is the list of books I think we have at this point for the August poll. I'm dropping two books from the previous polls because if they haven't been chosen by now I doubt they will be chosen this time. (After all, both have been suggested since . . . March? I forget. I think it's safe to drop them after four months but if you disagree, I can tuck them back into the poll.)

The Jungle
Choke
Mrs. Dalloway

Any other books anyone wants to add to the list?

Remember, we try to keep books on a poll even if they are not chosen for a particular month so there's always another chance.

message 7: by Satia (new)

Satia Does anyone object to my adding The Education of Harriet Hatfield to this month's poll? Since I'm dropping two other books, I'd like to try to create a poll with more than three choices and this book has been challenged due to its lesbian content.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments Satia wrote: "Does anyone object to my adding The Education of Harriet Hatfield to this month's poll? Since I'm dropping two other books, I'd like to try to create a poll with more than three choi..."

It looks like an interesting story. I've never heard of it, but I just clicked the link and the description and reviews look good. (It's also on the list for the other "Banned Books" group, but I'm not sure if they've already read it or if it's on their "to read" list.)

message 9: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments Hi! I just want to say that I do want to read Woolf but since I suggested Choke last time around, and seeing that Mrs. Dalloway will probably be the selection of August, I stuck with my vote of Choke. :)

message 10: by Satia (new)

Satia I would have expected nothing else Serena. Besides, it's not as though the book will be dropped in the next poll so if it isn't the book for August, it may be the one for September.