Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Ask An Author, Win A Book Corner > AC: Jackie Pilossoph of Jackpot!(August 22 - August 24)

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Aug 21, 2011 11:56AM) (new)

Fran | 11055 comments Jackie Pilossoph, a Romance author; will be joining us for a Q&A and book giveaway on August 22th- August 24th, 2011.

Meet Jackie: Jackie Pilossoph is the author of HOOK, LINE AND SINK HIM, published in April, 2010. She holds a master’s degree in Journalism from Boston University. She worked as a television news reporter and has also held positions in the advertising and pharmaceutical industries. Jackie has been writing novels and screenplays for feature films for eight years. She has optioned four screenplays to Hollywood producers.

We asked Jackie why she's a writer. Here's what she told us:

While walking on the beach one day with my sister, she said to me, “Whenever I’m feeling sad, whenever I have a problem I’m upset about, being here on the beach is the thing that makes me feel better.” My response was, “That’s exactly how I feel about writing.”
Writing has gotten me through some really difficult times, including when my dad was sick and during the months I was going through a divorce. Whenever I felt depressed or helpless or anxious, typing on my computer keyboard never failed to help soothe the pain and angst, and make me feel encouragement and optimism about the future.
I love creating colorful characters and describing appealing, interesting places. Writing hilarious dialogue puts a smile on my face and makes me giggle. And coming up with warm, heartfelt passages makes me truly happy because in my heart I know I’m touching readers, and hopefully helping them view their lives in a positive, hopeful light.
Writing’s my outlet. It does it for me.

Jackie's next novel, Jackpot! was just released.

Books: Hook Line and Sink Him by Jackie Pilossoph , Jackpot! by Jackie Pilossoph

Giveaway: Jackie will be giving away 6 ecopies of her new novel Jackpot!. This giveaway is open internationally.

message 2: by Jackie (last edited Aug 22, 2011 04:49AM) (new)

Jackie Pilossoph (jackiepilossoph) | 15 comments Hi Girls! (and a few guys I've heard)

I'm so excited to be hosting you in my first giveaway of JACKPOT! This book literally just became available last week and I am so looking forward to talking about it with readers!

JACKPOT! is really special to me, as I originally wrote it as a screenplay back in 2004!! It was optioned by a Hollywood producer, and is probably sitting in a drawer somewhere.

A few years ago, I decided to turn this fun, creative heartfelt love story into a novel, so I began writing JACKPOT! (the original title was BABY BE MINE by the way).

The book is so much better than the screenplay because there's so much more depth and personality in the characters, and I was able to tell the story in the kind of detail that at times made me get teary-eyed, cry hysterically, smile, giggle, laugh heartily, and just plain old feel good.

I get so tired of watching news (which is 90% bad) about the economy, and sad and scary things that happen to people. It's so depressing. But while I think it's important to read the paper and watch the news, it's nice to have an outlet (like my blog or my books) to just read for the sake of feeling good.

JACKPOT! has gotten a couple of great reviews so far, that you can read on my website. But I'd like to hear what you have to say about it!

So, please participate in my giveaway. I'd love to hear your thoughts and questions. Talk to me!

message 3: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11055 comments Welcome Jackie, it's a pleasure to have you with us!

I hope you enjoy your time with our members; and good luck to you all!

GUIDELINES FOR AUTHOR AND PARTICIPANTS: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3419...

Members, if you can please write the questions in bold; it would be easier for her to know that you have asked a questions and less chance that it will be missed. Thanks!

message 4: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11055 comments Hi Jackie,

Jackpot! looks like a great read. I love funny, feel-good stories and especially a HEA.

Where did you get the idea of a desperate mom enticing her kids to provide grandchildren for her from? Why did you choose to make the mom a lottery winner rather than already wealthy?

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments hi Jackie!!

I have to admit, just reading the premise of Jackpot, i'm intrigued...hopefully i'll win a copy (if not, i'll be buying it soon ;) )

as an author, how hard was it for you to take what you had written as a screenplay and convert it to a novel? and if you could pick any actor/actress to star in the movie adaptation, who would it be and why

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Pilossoph (jackiepilossoph) | 15 comments Fran wrote: "Hi Jackie,

Jackpot! looks like a great read. I love funny, feel-good stories and especially a HEA.

Where did you get the idea of a desperate mom enticing her kids to provide g..."

Fran, I chose to make the mom win the lottery as opposed to already being wealthy because this is a family that has always been struggling financially. Both of the main characters, Jamie and Danny want wealth and professional success and both are frustrated, which is why they are so driven to do anything (have babies) to get the money. Plus, it's really humorous to see the mom newly wealthy. Hope you enjoy the book Fran!

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Pilossoph (jackiepilossoph) | 15 comments Dee wrote: "hi Jackie!!

I have to admit, just reading the premise of Jackpot, i'm intrigued...hopefully i'll win a copy (if not, i'll be buying it soon ;) )

as an author, how hard was it for you to take ..."

Dee, writing novels is really hard, but in a great way! I loved converting the screenplay of Jackpot to a novel because I got to develop the characters and really get inside their heads. It's so much richer and deeper than anything you'd see on screen. It's the actors and the directors who make the movies what they are. My job is to tell a really great story. Let's see...I'm thinking Mila Kunis as Jamie, just because she's so funny and goofy, but still really cute. And...maybe Ryan Reynolds as Danny? He can be really funny too. And Danny's really funny (and very loveable.)

message 8: by Desiree (new)

Desiree reilly (desitheblonde) | 37 comments when you got the idea of the book was it form your experience or was it some thing else the cover look great and hope it will do good for you

message 9: by Laurean (new)

Laurean Brooks (landtbethyahoocom) | 11 comments Okay, I tried to use "bold" but I can't get the hang of it. If you give me instructions, I'll retry.

Jackie, nice to meet you. You write for the same reasons I do. And I like writing humorous scenes with lively characters, also.

Congratulations on "Jackpot" being converted to a screenplay. Who knows, you might get a big surprise call from Hollywood.

Here's wishing you God's blessing on your work.

message 10: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments I have actually read Hook Line and Sink Him and i have to say i absolutely loved the book. It was refreshing to get the story from the male POV, something that is quite rare.

The story was funny, with some good drama and what i thought a wonderful romance. It reminded me a lot of what you go through while trying to date, looking for that elusive "the one".

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Pilossoph (jackiepilossoph) | 15 comments Laurean wrote: "Okay, I tried to use "bold" but I can't get the hang of it. If you give me instructions, I'll retry.

Jackie, nice to meet you. You write for the same reasons I do. And I like writing humorous scen..."

Laurean,
You are so sweet! Thanks so much. Best of luck to you too.

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Pilossoph (jackiepilossoph) | 15 comments Rossy wrote: "I have actually read Hook Line and Sink Him and i have to say i absolutely loved the book. It was refreshing to get the story from the male POV, something that is quite rare.

The s..."

Rossy,

Thanks for the kind words. If you liked Hook, line and Sink Him, I think you will absolutely LOVE Jackpot! I think as a writer, one becomes better and better and the writing just gets deeper and richer, and that's what I think happened here. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after reading the book! Thanks again for the support.

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Pilossoph (jackiepilossoph) | 15 comments Desiree wrote: "when you got the idea of the book was it form your experience or was it some thing else the cover look great and hope it will do good for you"

I actually came up with the idea for Jackpot! several years ago. I used to run around the track at my gym and write the story in my head. I did that for almost a year before I even wrote anything down. I knew pretty much what the story was from beginning to middle to end, but as I wrote it, some of the scenes changes and/or were added and I made a lot up as I went along. But the basics were all in my head before I even had one word down on paper.

message 14: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Jackie wrote: "Thanks for the kind words. If you liked Hook, line and Sink Him, I think you will absolutely LOVE Jackpot! I think as a writer, one becomes better and better and the writing just gets deeper and richer, and that's what I think happened here. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after reading the book! Thanks again for the support."

Nothing but the truth!

I need to think of some good questions to see if i win a copy. LOL
Jackie, what made you decide to write from the male character's POV, and not both or the heroine?

message 15: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Laurean wrote: "Okay, I tried to use "bold" but I can't get the hang of it. If you give me instructions, I'll retry.

Jackie, nice to meet you. You write for the same reasons I do. And I like writing humorous scen..."

If you look in the comment box, on the right upper corner, it says "some html is ok". When you click that, it'll give you a list of codes that you can simply copy and paste (choose the "bold text" one). In the space where it's "..." just write your response.

message 16: by Laurean (new)

Laurean Brooks (landtbethyahoocom) | 11 comments Thanks, Rossy. But I did click "bold text" but nothing happened. Maybe something in my computer setup is preventing it.

Thank you for inviting me. I loved reading about Jackie. She sounds like a wonderful author.

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Pilossoph (jackiepilossoph) | 15 comments Rossy wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Thanks for the kind words. If you liked Hook, line and Sink Him, I think you will absolutely LOVE Jackpot! I think as a writer, one becomes better and better and the writing just get..."

Actually, the book is written in two POV's, both Jamie's and Danny's. Some chapters are told by her, some by him. I thought that was a fun way to do it since it really is two different stories.

message 18: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11055 comments What time of day do you get most of your writing done? Do you have a favorite place to write?

message 19: by Dee (last edited Aug 22, 2011 06:05PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Laurean - try this <*b> (at the beginning) and then *b> at the end - take out the asteriks to bold it (its the only way I can show you the codes)

Laurean wrote: "Thanks, Rossy. But I did click "bold text" but nothing happened. Maybe something in my computer setup is preventing it.

Thank you for inviting me. I loved reading about Jackie. She sounds like a w..."

message 20: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11055 comments Dee, you hit the ) instead of the > for the last one, but that was so smart to put the * there to show her, I was trying to figure out how to do it,lol!

<*b> before first word and <*/b> after last word to bold, like Dee said :)

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments oh whatever!! lol! stupid fat-fingers!!

message 22: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11055 comments Dee wrote: "oh whatever!! lol! stupid fat-fingers!!"

I was giving you props for the genious idea!!

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments well, i know i'm smart! lol! and my boo-boo is all fixed now ;)

message 24: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Jackie wrote: "Actually, the book is written in two POV's, both Jamie's and Danny's. Some chapters are told by her, some by him. I thought that was a fun way to do it since it really is two different stories. "

For some reason her POV does not stand out in my mind, maybe there were very few.LOL

message 25: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Jackpot sounds like it was fun to write. I can't wait to read it.

Jackie, was it difficult writing from a male point of view?

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Pilossoph (jackiepilossoph) | 15 comments Iris wrote: "Jackpot sounds like it was fun to write. I can't wait to read it.

Jackie, was it difficult writing from a male point of view?"

Yes and no. Yes, it's hard to write in the male point of view because I'm not a man (obviously) and sometimes a guy will read one of my books and say to me "a guy wouldn't say that!" But for the most part, I think i have the guy point of view nailed in a lot of ways, which i attribute to just dating them! So usually I'm right on the money!

message 27: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Pilossoph (jackiepilossoph) | 15 comments Fran wrote: "What time of day do you get most of your writing done? Do you have a favorite place to write?"

I love to write at 5:30 in the morning, sitting at my kitchen table with a cup of coffee. It's so peaceful and my head is so clear and everything's fresh at that time of day. I also enjoy going to coffee shops and writing.-it makes me feel like a true writer.

message 28: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11055 comments Hi Jackie,

Where is the setting for Jackpot! and how do you decide the towns/areas that you will use for your books?

message 29: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Pilossoph (jackiepilossoph) | 15 comments Fran wrote: "Hi Jackie,

Where is the setting for Jackpot! and how do you decide the towns/areas that you will use for your books?"

All my books so far have been based in Chicago. I love to include real restaurants, bars and fun Chicago attractions. My next book is based in the suburbs! Kind of funny.

message 30: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments For someone who has never read your book. What kind of ingredients/elements, aside from good writing, can they look forward to in all your books?

message 31: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Pilossoph (jackiepilossoph) | 15 comments In all of my books (and I can say this with certainty) one can expect loveable, funny, goofy characters with a lot of heart. I also put a lot of emphasis on good dialogue-nothing too sappy, but sappy enough to make you tear up. And in Jackpot! expect a huge shocking plot twist at the end!

message 32: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessie14141) | 4 comments Welcome Jackie! What do you use as inspirations for your characters? I'm in the process of writing my first book, and am having trouble with character building.

message 33: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Pilossoph (jackiepilossoph) | 15 comments My characters all start with people I know. I'm not saying this is the right way to do it, but it works for me. I take someone I know and then I embellish majorly. I magnify something they have, maybe a character trait or a funny quirk, and then i build from there. And by the time i'm done, the character only resembles a tiny bit of the original person, but having a base (starting with someone you know) helps make them realistic. Think to yourself, "What would he say? Would would he do in this situation?" and then make him meaner, or funnier, or more passionate. Lots of the relationships in my books have stemmed from real ones that I had, only I made them 50 times more exciting!

message 34: by Cindy (last edited Aug 24, 2011 10:50PM) (new)

Cindy | 18 comments I unfortunately have never read any of your books. However, after reading the synoptsis of "Jackpot" I am looking forward to read it & Hook Line & Sink Him. They both sound like fun reads. What I need to lift the spirits!
How do you come up with full bodied characters?
I hope I win a copy of "Jackpot"! That way I will be sure to read it soon! I will present a new copy to a friend!

message 35: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Pilossoph (jackiepilossoph) | 15 comments Thank you all for hosting me in your q and a! I had so much fun and I hope I was interesting and that I answered all your questions thoroughly.

Thank you to Fran and Rossy!

Please feel free to reach out to me at jackie@jackiepilossoph.net anytime!!

I hope you enjoy either or both of my books! AND, a third is in the works and man, it's juicy!!!!

message 36: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Thank you so much for spending the time with us Jackie, it was a pleasure reading your answers!

message 37: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11055 comments Thank you so much for joining us Jackie!

Winners of Jackie's book Jackpot! coming very soon......

message 38: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Pilossoph (jackiepilossoph) | 15 comments You guys are awesome!! This was really fun!

message 39: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11055 comments **Congratulations**.......to everyone who participated!!

Jackie Pilossoph has generously decided to give everyone who participated in her Q&A an ecopy of her latest release Jackpot! Jackpot! by Jackie Pilossoph .

The following participants should contact Jackie withing the next 48 hours to claim their giveaway-

1. Fran
2. Dee
3. Desiree
4. Laurean
5. Rossy
6. Iris
7. Jessica
8. Cindy

Please send your email address to Jackie, you can contact her at the following email address-

jackie@jackiepilossoph.net

Thanks so much again for joining us Jackie and for so generously gifting us with your new book!!