Women's Fiction authors discussion

Introduce yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 263 (263 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Wait | 5 comments Greetings. I am an independently published author. I write mostly inspirational fiction, general fiction, one sic-fi, and one romance- 7 in all. I am published on Smashwords and Amazon, Ebook and paperback. The links are all on my blog:

Http://colleenwaitwrites.blogspot.com

message 2: by Iheartbooks (new)

Iheartbooks | 21 comments Hi, Colleen. I also have an ebook available on Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, and Smashwords entitled "The Extraordinary Adventure of Ordinary Alice". I have another book which I will publish soon. The independent book world is hard and I've struggled with generating publicity for my book. I suppose its my own fault- any free time I have, I want to be writing, not promoting. Anyway, I am anxious to check out your books. Take care.

http://www.amazon.com/Extraordinary-A...

message 3: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Wait | 5 comments Iheartbooks wrote: "Hi, Colleen. I also have an ebook available on Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, and Smashwords entitled "The Extraordinary Adventure of Ordinary Alice". I have another book which I will publish soon. ..."

Hi. Good luck with your book. I understand your frustrations. I'm not fond of promoting myself either, but unfortunately it comes with being a self-published author.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenwb) | 89 comments Sure does. Nice to read about both of your books.

message 5: by Yejide (last edited Apr 20, 2013 08:32AM) (new)

Yejide Kilanko | 16 comments Hello All,
Please find below a little blurb about me. My debut novel will be published by Penguin Canada in April 2012. I look forward to being active here and welcome any questions. Thanks for taking time to read this :)

Yejide Kilanko was born in Ibadan, Nigeria in 1975. A therapist in children's mental health, she holds degrees from the University of Ibadan, the University of Victoria, the University of Windsor and has worked as a Child Protection Worker in Canada. She currently lives in Chatham, Ontario with her husband and children.

Please check out my FB page. Let me know yours so I can like you back :)
https://www.facebook.com/YejideKilanko

Here is a little book trailer I made :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpYrwr...

Penguin Canada is having a giveaway here on Goodreads :) Daughters Who Walk This Path

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 4 comments Hi Colleen, Rebecca, Karen and Yejide,
I enjoyed reading all of your posts. Self-promotion is a daunting and time consuming thing, but the Internet is an amazing tool so I try to be thankful and just put in the time that I can when I'm not writing.

Also, Yejide,I was intrigued by your book trailer link, but unfortunately it does not seem to be working, so hopefully you can fix that. I'd love to see your book trailer.

I did print-on-demand for some time, but have happily joined the ranks of the digitally published. I have two novels available on Kindle and Nook now, both "Women's Fiction." Anyone who's interested can check them out here:
http://amzn.to/xVIG97

A question to other authors: have you had much success getting bloggers to review e-books?

Thanks and best wishes!

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess Chambers (jesschambers) Welcome to the group, Yejide, and the best of luck with your upcoming release!

Cynthia, yes, I've found bloggers to be very receptive to reviewing ebooks. Of course, there are some that only accept print books, but there are plenty out there who actually prefer ebooks. Good luck!

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Wait | 5 comments Cynthia wrote: "Hi Colleen, Rebecca, Karen and Yejide,
I enjoyed reading all of your posts. Self-promotion is a daunting and time consuming thing, but the Internet is an amazing tool so I try to be thankful and j..."

Cynthia,
I haven't had a ton of reviews, but you just have to keep looking for the right person who reads your genre. Have you considered entering the ebook (Global ebook awards) contest? I'd volunteer to read your book, however, I am a judge and will be busy with that. Check Smashwords site updates for more information.

message 9: by Yejide (new)

Yejide Kilanko | 16 comments Cynthia wrote: "Hi Colleen, Rebecca, Karen and Yejide,
I enjoyed reading all of your posts. Self-promotion is a daunting and time consuming thing, but the Internet is an amazing tool so I try to be thankful and j..."

Thanks for the warm welcome Cynthia. Appreciate it :) Here's the link again. I made the trailer on spotmixer.com for free. http://youtu.be/TpYrwroKDkc

message 10: by Yejide (new)

Yejide Kilanko | 16 comments Jessica wrote: "Welcome to the group, Yejide, and the best of luck with your upcoming release!

Hi Jessica,
Thank you so much for the best wishes. I can't wait to hold that book in my hands :)

message 11: by Yejide (last edited Jan 31, 2012 06:42PM) (new)

Yejide Kilanko | 16 comments Colleen wrote: "Iheartbooks wrote: "Hi, Colleen. I also have an ebook available on Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, and Smashwords entitled "The Extraordinary Adventure of Ordinary Alice". I have another book which I ..."

Hi Colleen and Iheartbooks, I agree that it's more difficult to self-promote as a self-published author and feel that it's a challenge for all authors now to stand out. Here is the link to a piece I wrote about self-promotion. I hope it makes you laugh a little. https://www.facebook.com/notes/yejide...

message 12: by Rasana (new)

Rasana Atreya (rasana_atreya) | 13 comments Hi all,

As a new self-published author, I have to agree that promotion is the least fun part.

My book, Tell A Thousand Lies, was shortlisted for the 2012 Tibor Jones South Asia prize. I was offered a publishing contract here in India, I but declined because, despite the single digit royalties I was offered, I would have been expected to do the same level of promotion.

Here's the book trailer: http://youtu.be/DMuo8cw0B1g
and my website: http://www.rasanaatreya.com

Should you wish to review it, I'd be happy to provide a free kindle/epub/pdf.

Regards.

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess Chambers (jesschambers) Welcome, Rasana and Eve! Great to have you join the group.

message 14: by Rasana (new)

Rasana Atreya (rasana_atreya) | 13 comments Thanks, Jessica. Appreciate it.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

As a tradionally published author, The Widow Makers -The Widow Makers:Strife and Freya 800AD, I spend a lot of time promoting and not writing. Most of it is interesting, I get to meet a lot of people and go places I may never have visited otherwise. Promo gets easier the better and more at ease you become. Someone said this week 'if you want your book to have a longer shelf life than butter or yogurt you must promote it.' That goes for self and tradionally pub. authors. YOU are the best person to tell everyone about your book.
Jean Mead

message 16: by Rasana (new)

Rasana Atreya (rasana_atreya) | 13 comments Jean, promo might get easier, but it does eat into writing time, doesn't it?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, Rasana, it does eat away. The alternative is not to get your book in front of readers. For me there would be little point in writing, it's not the most social enterprise, if no one was interested.

message 18: by Rasana (new)

Rasana Atreya (rasana_atreya) | 13 comments I completely understand. That's what drives me, and I'm sure, other writers, as well. Otherwise we might as well write a nightly diary and be done with it. It is that sense of validation that we're looking for.

message 19: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Lamperd Jean wrote: "As a tradionally published author, The Widow Makers -The Widow Makers:Strife and Freya 800AD, I spend a lot of time promoting and not writing. Most of it is interesting, I get to meet a lot of peop..."

It is frustrating using writing time to promote your books. But I enjoy meeting other writers and hearing about their books, meeting readers who read my books and listening to what they have to say. It's amazing how your characters take on another life in another's mind. Cheers

message 20: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (schneiderlynn) | 56 comments Hi, I'm Lynn Schneider, about to release my third self-published women's fiction novel. I keep telling myself, get the book out there, then devote your time to promoting and I have a blog, for which readership has been steadily growing, but still, sales are pretty much non-existant. I think I need some marketing help. Maybe some reviews.

Eve, I have too! Found so many good books to read from this site and other places. Especially when people review books and rate them.

message 21: by Rasana (new)

Rasana Atreya (rasana_atreya) | 13 comments Hi Lynn,

Women's fiction is my favorite kind of novel. If my book interests you, perhaps we could swap reviews?

Tell A Thousand Lies by Rasana Atreya

Thanks,
Rasana

message 22: by Terri (new)

Terri (clementines001) | 6 comments I'm Terri Marie and I recently published a women's fictional novel called "Running From Beige." It deals with domestic violence and offers, I hope, experience, strength, and courage to women. Lynn I saw your book titled "Whatever happened to Lily?" and just purchased a Kindle copy. I'll definitely start this in the next couple of days. This is a great site, btw. I can't wait to find more books!

message 23: by Mari (new)

Mari | 3 comments Hi everyone -
Happy to find this group, and eager to check out many of your titles. I have a book out The Hazards of Hunting While Heartbroken by Mari Passananti and you can find me and my blog at my site:
http://maripassanantibooks.com

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Terri wrote: "I'm Terri Marie and I recently published a women's fictional novel called "Running From Beige." It deals with domestic violence and offers, I hope, experience, strength, and courage to women. Lynn ..."

Terri wrote: "I'm Terri Marie and I recently published a women's fictional novel called "Running From Beige." It deals with domestic violence and offers, I hope, experience, strength, and courage to women. Lynn ..."

Hello Terri,

I will read your book with interest and trepidation. I have recently read a novel covering domestic abuse, and found it difficult to turn the pages though the story was excellently told. It was almost like keeping one eye shut whilst watching a horror movie. You may have guessed that I had a problem with a violent former partner. It only happened once but it was a horrific experience. I haven't seen him since, the police dealt with him. I'm now lucky enough to have a very happy marriage with a kind, loving man. I find reading about this kind of abuse - though I have in a minimal way covered it in my historical trilogy, still difficult, and embarrassing, but why embarrassing I still do not understand. It wasn't my problem, but his. It's perhaps too personal a question to ask if you were writing from experience. If so, it shows great courage.

message 25: by Rasana (new)

Rasana Atreya (rasana_atreya) | 13 comments Reading about domestic violence is hard, about child abuse is completely impossible.

message 26: by Terri (new)

Terri (clementines001) | 6 comments Domestic abuse is so prevalent in society. Through the many places that I worked and volunteered, as well as my own past experiences, I felt this was a story that needed to be told. Though it is fiction, I took the lives of three women and brought them full circle. They are based on real life women, some of which are no longer with us. It deals with all the emotions regarding domestic abuse, including the humiliation, embarrassment, and why women don't seek help. I sought to put some education out there by weaving it into the pages, and bring experience, strength, and hope to as many women as I can. This book doesn't deal with any child abuse nor reference to it. It's about making changes and acknowledging that domestic abuse is everyone's problem. This book literally took my entire life to gain the knowledge and courage to write. My story is definitely in some of these women. I drop copies off to women's shelters when I can afford to do so. Being in any abusive situation doesn't mean you have to be alone. Sisterhood is the main theme. Hope is the solution.

message 27: by Terri (new)

Terri (clementines001) | 6 comments Eve wrote: "Hello. I'm a new author. Very much learning the ropes as I go. Here's my blog:

http://thingsevewoulddo.blogspot.com

and two things I've published:

[book:Sex, Drugs, and Psychiatric Wards|1351884..."

I read both of Eve Lopez's books. I highly recommend reading Sex, Drugs, and Psychiatric Wards. Her main character named, Lucy, will forever be a part of me.

message 28: by Terri (new)

Terri (clementines001) | 6 comments Colleen wrote: "Greetings. I am an independently published author. I write mostly inspirational fiction, general fiction, one sic-fi, and one romance- 7 in all. I am published on Smashwords and Amazon, Ebook and ..."

I just picked up your Kindle on Amazon. Sounds like a good book! I'll let you know. =-)

message 29: by Rasana (new)

Rasana Atreya (rasana_atreya) | 13 comments Terri, I didn't mean to dismiss your efforts. Nor to suggest child abuse was a theme in your book. Mine was a random comment.

We need books like yours bring attention to such issues. In fact, everything I write about is about the empowerment of women. And I used to volunteer at a rape crisis center when I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area (now I'm back in India). I would be drained after each session, the situations were that heartbreaking.

message 30: by Terri (new)

Terri (clementines001) | 6 comments No I definitely didn't take it that way at all. Hats off to you for your work at the crisis center. It isn't an easy job at all. I knew I was writing about a delicate subject which took me three years to write because I had to walk away from it so many times. Painful memories took over here and there. The reason why I mentioned child abuse is because it's also prevalent with some women who stay in that kind of relationship. They can't beat themselves up so they find someone who'll do it for them. That was definitely a facet I could have brought up, but yeah, writing about the domestic abuse was stressful enough. Do you volunteer in India? And your picture is beautiful!

message 31: by Rasana (new)

Rasana Atreya (rasana_atreya) | 13 comments Thanks, Terri. :-)

Silly as it sounds, I'm unable to volunteer since I had kids. Every situation translates to a big 'what if'?

Maybe, someday.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

This perhaps doesn't belong here but I can see no other post that corresponds to my problem.
Has anyone here received nasty messages from a so-called reader? If I respond to her, no doubt she would get her 'friends' to rubbish my books. If I ignore it I feel I am leaving myself open to further rude and abusive emails from her. Being called a pimp and accused of pimping on GR is bad enough but I don't know how far she may go.
The best course is probably to complain to GR but again I feel that she would find another way to make life difficult. Perhaps I have no alternative but to leave GR. Can anyone advise?

message 33: by Terri (new)

Terri (clementines001) | 6 comments Message me, I think I can help. Don't leave. Keep doing what you do so well.

message 34: by Rasana (new)

Rasana Atreya (rasana_atreya) | 13 comments Jean - a while back a book blogger reviewed an Indie Author's book. Pretty fair review, but the author was incensed. She hit back, he commented, lots of blog readers jumped in support of the blogger, she got more and more frustrated defending her book, her responses started sounding more and more desperate - then the whole thing went viral.

I'm NOT saying this is the case with you. All I'm saying is that on the internet, things are for ever. While I feel for you, my advice - don't piss the reader off. She'll move on. Engage her - and you have an enemy for life.

Ignore her, and hope she'll go away. If she doesn't, document EVERYTHING. Perhaps you'll be able to build a case later (though I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that).

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Rasana wrote: "Jean - a while back a book blogger reviewed an Indie Author's book. Pretty fair review, but the author was incensed. She hit back, he commented, lots of blog readers jumped in support of the blogge..."

Hi Rasana,

The abuse isn't about my books, it's about me as a person. I hear what you say about engaging with her.

message 36: by Rasana (new)

Rasana Atreya (rasana_atreya) | 13 comments I do see that this isn't about your books; the attack is more personal. But if you were to engage every crackpot that came along... Not worth it, IMO.

I'm sorry for your trouble, though. Not the easiest thing to deal with.

message 37: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Robertson | 11 comments Hi there
I'm a newly published author, who writes funny contemporary women's fiction. I totally agree with your comments about the chick lit label; have written blogs and articles on that subject! My first novel, The Sweet Second LIfe of Darrell Kincaid is in print in New Zealand, with print translations in Germany and soon, Italy. Yay - I see a trip to Europe coming on! It's also on e-sites Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk and Kobo. Here's my own website: http://www.catherinerobertson.net
Come and check me and my book out - there's an excerpt on Amazon.com - and if you like it, stay posted - I'm planning a Goodreads giveaway

message 38: by Rasana (new)

Rasana Atreya (rasana_atreya) | 13 comments Welcome, Catherine. This sounds like my kind of book!

message 39: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Robertson | 11 comments Rasana wrote: "Welcome, Catherine. This sounds like my kind of book!"
Thank you! And congrats on being shortlisted for your own book - I am very keen to take a look

message 40: by Rasana (new)

Rasana Atreya (rasana_atreya) | 13 comments Thank you!

message 41: by Jess (new)

Jess Chambers (jesschambers) Terri wrote: "Domestic abuse is so prevalent in society. Through the many places that I worked and volunteered, as well as my own past experiences, I felt this was a story that needed to be told. Though it is fi..."

Welcome to the group, Terri. Domestic violence is certainly a hard subject to write , but one that needs to be tackled, I think. I'm currently working on a young adult novel that involves a teenage boy being abused by his stepfather. Very emotionally draining at times, but again, a story that needs to be told.

The best of luck with your novel!

message 42: by Jess (new)

Jess Chambers (jesschambers) Catherine wrote: "Hi there
I'm a newly published author, who writes funny contemporary women's fiction. I totally agree with your comments about the chick lit label; have written blogs and articles on that subject! ..."

Welcome, Catherine! Your book sounds like such fun!

message 43: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (schneiderlynn) | 56 comments Rasana wrote: "Hi Lynn,

Women's fiction is my favorite kind of novel. If my book interests you, perhaps we could swap reviews?

Thanks,
Rasana"

Rasana, your book sounds really interesting. I'd love to read it.

message 44: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (schneiderlynn) | 56 comments Terri wrote: "I'm Terri Marie and I recently published a women's fictional novel called "Running From Beige." It deals with domestic violence and offers, I hope, experience, strength, and courage to women. Lynn ..."

Thanks, Terri, I'll check your book out too.

message 45: by Rasana (new)

Rasana Atreya (rasana_atreya) | 13 comments Lynn wrote: "Rasana wrote: "Hi Lynn,

Thanks,
Rasana"

Rasana..."

Please email me at rasana@RasanaAtreya.com with your book (kindle preferred) and I'll email you back my book. Please let me know the format.

Thanks,
Rasana

message 46: by Yejide (new)

Yejide Kilanko | 16 comments Terri wrote: "I'm Terri Marie and I recently published a women's fictional novel called "Running From Beige." It deals with domestic violence and offers, I hope, experience, strength, and courage to women. Lynn ..."

Hi Terri,
Welcome :) I'm new here too. I too write about child abuse, sexual violence and domestic violence and know how draining it came be when you tap into the emotions of your characters. I salute your courage and wish you all the best :)

www.yejidekilanko.com

message 47: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Robertson | 11 comments Jessica wrote:
Thank you, Jessica. I see you live in or near Windsor. I used to live in Marlow.

message 48: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Robertson | 11 comments Lynn wrote: "Hi, I'm Lynn Schneider, about to release my third self-published women's fiction novel. I keep telling myself, get the book out there, then devote your time to promoting and I have a blog, for whic..."
Hi Lynn, I've just joined this group. I have a bunch of friends who are romance writers. I recently wrote an article about the lengths one of them (who is both traditional print and self-published) has to go to to promote her book. It might be helpful in giving you ideas: http://www.bookcouncil.org.nz/users/I...

message 49: by Jess (new)

Jess Chambers (jesschambers) Catherine wrote: "Jessica wrote:
Thank you, Jessica. I see you live in or near Windsor. I used to live in Marlow."

I do indeed, Catherine. I know Marlow well!

message 50: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Strack (peggymorehouse) | 96 comments Colleen wrote: "Greetings. I am an independently published author. I write mostly inspirational fiction, general fiction, one sic-fi, and one romance- 7 in all. I am published on Smashwords and Amazon, Ebook and ..."

Hi Colleen and welcome. Looking forward to checking out your blog.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6