Desperate BookJunkies discussion

Monthly Group Reads in General > The Devil Colony (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments Hey there Peeps and hopefully the super funny and nano filled member of society James Rollins, this is the discussion for this very totally awesome book The Devil Colony. I think this title has lot's to talk about and we might even get some good heated chit chat going in here. Thanks James for such a great read.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) This is the first book that I've read from James Rollins and I have to say, I'm intrigued. I'll definitely check out the other novels in the Sigma Force series. :)

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen Benson (jenbenson2) I finished this book in two weeks, which is pretty good for me considering I only have time to read before bed most days. I thought the book was pretty good but at times I just wanted to say "Oh, come on!". I didn't know about nano bots before reading this book and it sounded really far fetched but maybe it's my ignorance on the topic. I passed the book on to my mom - will see how she likes it.

message 4: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments Actually, if you pick up just about any copy of Scientific America or National Geographic you should be able to find a lot of stuff about nano technology. It's like Rollins says at the end of the title, some pretty scary stuff. My sister had that kind of view when she read Michael Crichton's Next book until she found out how real this far fetched science is. Time Magazine actually has an awesome issue out right now all about all the scientific discoveries in the last few years and well all I can say is WOW. The things that used to be fictional are now becoming non-fiction at a very fast pace.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen Benson (jenbenson2) One thing I thought was far fetched was the tablets. Their significance and link to the indian tribe. I also didn't quite get how the French guy (his name escapes me right now) kept ahead of the group and had this military arm at his disposal to keep the secrets safe. I liked how the book was written, how it all came together, the various characters that interacted with each other and the pace of the read. I'll check out other books in the series as I get thru my TBR pile.

message 6: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 592 comments Jen, if you want a list of anything that might be a boo boo in the story or you have a question how things like the French guy worked out, if Rollins joins our group you'll get a chance to ask those questions. I do have to say he is the first to admitt when info might not add up right or he made up a section and maybe got some info wrong. He talked quite a bit about that stuff at his signing. I do have to say, if you knew how the French guy kept ahead of everyone, it wouldn't be a mystery and knowing there's an evil guy with a military at his disposal isn't too unbelieveable, there are a lot of very bad/evil dictators in the world that have that, and that is a very scary thought. Libya is just one example. From what I heard Kadaffe's regime (I think that's how it's spelled) has just finally been over thrown.
Oh also a lot of this Sigma Force and The Guild stuff is explained in other books as well from what I've heard.