The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Has anyone read his novels? A few of the summaries have caught my interest, but I'm wondering if he writes a series or stand alone novels. Any info would be appreciated.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimgysin) | 7 comments They're a good blend of thriller and cutting-edge science, but some people who've read him on my recommendation have found him to be a bit over-the-top, whereas I've loved the ride from the beginning. I'd say check him out, especially if you've got a bit of geek in you.

message 3: by Gail (last edited Jul 09, 2011 08:22AM) (new)

Gail | 15 comments You can check out the order in which to read them on stopyourekillingme.com Sandstorm is the first of the Sigma Force novels which should be read in order. I started reading them because one of my students recommended them. They are pretty good! There are also some other novels that are not Sigma Force, but I don't know if you need to read them as they came out. One is an Indiana Jones novel!

message 4: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Cool! I'll definitely look for Sandstorm the next time I head to the library.

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 48 comments I just went to a book signing event by this author. I have not yet read any of his books, but the stand alones (those that are not in the Sigma Series) are unrelated, and can be read in any order. All of the books have a veterinary bent (as that is how he made his living prior to being an author) and also some bits of history and science. I am looking forward to diving in. I bought Devil Colony (the most recent Sigma Force novel) and the author says that the Sigma Force series can be read out of order... the only thing that the reader would miss would be some of the character development and nuance of the team members. I also bought Subterranean for my husband to check out. Other fans at the signing really seem to like Amazonia.

message 6: by Gail (new)

Gail | 15 comments How cool that you met the author. I agree you could read them out of order, but I really would read Sigma Force in order because things are mentioned and it would spoil it a bit if you knew a character dies in a previous novel. He does a great job of reiterating and reviewing what happens. It reminds me of the Preston Child series- much better in order, but of course you don't have to. Very exciting books and you learn some interesting facts!

message 7: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Thanks for all of the comments. I can't wait to start reading some of these novels!

message 8: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Misquita (douglasmisquita) james rollins is a good thriller writer...i think he fills in the space of guaranteeing a good thrill ride each year...i'm presently reading Devil Colony and enjoying it thorougly