Ralph Ellison: A Biography Ralph Ellison discussion

on race, brilliance and schizophrenia

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:04PM) (new) - added it

Deborah I heard a book talk given by Arnold Rampersad where he tried to explain his reasons for writing an unvarnished bio of Ralph Ellison.

I adore Rampersad's work and I was curious if he could in fact explain why he would reveal such awful truths about Ellison considering the fact that Ellison is such a giant in african american literary achievement.

Certainly living in America's Jim Crow culture would warp most of us ( and many of us are - those on both sides of the color line), I wonder what treatment Rampersad would apply when describing Ellison's reluctance to assist other black writers of the time.

So, with that, I eagerly plunge.

message 2: by Lizzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:06PM) (new) - added it

Lizzie I haven't read this bio, but I will. I don't think anything he has to say will change the impact of Ellison's writing on my life, but I think that I agree with you that sometimes the demystifying of our heroes can be disappointing. In a funny way - I still love Thriller even though Micheal Jackson is obviously sick and wrong.
I am hoping that maybe by understanding Ellison I will be able to unravel yet another brilliant layer in Invisible Man.

message 3: by Deborah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new) - added it

Deborah Rampersad did a book talk on CSPAN when he appeared at DC's book fest. Maybe you can queue that up from their archives.

"It's close to midnight," as mike would say, and rather than reading the dang book, i'm on goodreads talking about reading the book...