This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

Life-Changing Book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rusty (last edited Jul 08, 2011 12:09PM) (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments I often read this term in book reviews. And I'm not sure whether these reviewers are exageratting, or if this is truly the case. I guess certain books have changed my life for a few minutes (but then so have certain women, and certain meals), but I can't think of anything I've learned in a book and internalized, thus causing me to change my outlook on life.

I feel like I've learned some important tidbits from books like The Ox-Bow Incident, Man's Search for Meaning, and The Screwtape Letters etc. but I wouldn't say they changed my life.

So is this exaggeration or no? Come on, Tambeau, I know you have something to say

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going camping in 8 minutes. I'll have to think about it and get back to you!

Whoo! Summer = Best!

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) If it sold enough copies, it may have changed the author's life...

message 4: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 653 comments My sister taught me to read out of a book that was called something like "The Big Red (or Orange) Book of Jokes". We would sit on her twin bed, each holding half of the book and go into hysterics over stupid jokes like:
Q: "What's red and goes putt putt putt?"
A: An outboard tomato. (WHAT THE FUCK?)

Q: Why does the ocean roar?
A: You would too if you had crabs on your bottom.

One of my 8th grade teachers recommended I read Cold Sassy Tree, Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man and The Bean Trees. I was a reader before she introduced me to these books, but I think that when she stepped in, I developed a taste for "adult literature" and started reading more books with substance.

The Poisonwood Bible is the book that turned me into a book snob. After reading this one, I understood what people were talking about when they said something was well written.

As ridiculous as it is, The Big Love helped me wrap my head around something that was all fucked up in a relationship I was holding on to.

message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie (agrunwe) I despised Cold Sassy Tree :P

I think the only book that really made an impact on my worldview is Atlas Shrugged, which I know people love to hate. You just have to read it with an open mind and take it with a grain of common sense.

message 6: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 653 comments Sad about Cold Sassy Tree... maybe if you would have had a super cool teacher who wore clogs every day and wrote exclusively in lower case recommend it to you, it would have been different.

Servius  Heiner I smell a sock puppet.

message 8: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Good Lord you're paranoid. People dosometimes just wander in here with private profiles, you know? It happens.

I did.

message 9: by Monkey (new)

Monkey (reydemono) I too was a puppet at one time.
MotherFuckers!
I don't know if it changed my life, but it broadened my taste in books:
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

message 10: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Thanks to Bill Bryson I've started reading nonfiction. So similar story.

Also: Sam Harris, his books made me go from agnostic to atheist....

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 11, 2011 08:40AM) (new)

I wanted to be in the Peace Corps when I was young and idealistic. My friend and I wanted to and made scars on our arms one night to remind ourselves of our goal. Then I read a book. I think it was an independent press or something--I tried to find it on goodreads in 2007 to rate it but I couldn't. I don't remember the title but the subtitle was something like, "Accounts of Women in the Peace Corps.". Most of the accounts were positive and inspiring but two of them changed my mind forever. One got raped by most of the men in the tribe because women were not allowed the type of leadership role she was performing. Another had to fall asleep every night with dangerous spiders about.

My friend who scarred herself never read the book and she's been a missionary in Papua New Guinea for years.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sure I just let the book excuse me but when I started reading that book I wanted to join and afterwards I didn't.

message 13: by Monkey (new)

Monkey (reydemono) Aren't there books with terrible stories about teachers?

Thanks Kasia, now Sam Harris is on my "to read" list

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Sure, Monkey, but not that terrible. And there was the whole thing where you have no say in where you serve your Peace Corps term. Maybe that's changed?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Also, Steinbeck has changed me because he makes me feel like it's okay to love the world and to love humans.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

(While recognizing and even loving them more for their shortcomings.)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

And, in turn, loving myself despite my own shortcomings. Thanks, John!! ♥

message 18: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments It's embarrassing, but I realized I was going to die someday while reading "The Last Unicorn". Bit of a downer.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments You are right! That is embarrassing!! The last unicorn!! Hahahhaha! That's gay! (Not that there is anything wrong with gay!)

message 20: by Rusty (last edited Jul 11, 2011 11:10AM) (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments It's gay as hell, dude.

message 21: by Monkey (new)

Monkey (reydemono) Alfonas!
I think you need to read a little Steinbeck.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments alfonas!? what happened to Adolfo!!!! i like it!!!!!

I AM ADOLFO JITLER!!!!! COMANDANTE DEL TERCER IMPERIO!!!!!!! GUAAAAAAA!!!!

message 23: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I don't know about really CHANGED my life in a major way but for sure books have changed my life in small ways. I have a shelf called "changed me forever" for books like that.

message 24: by Monkey (new)

Monkey (reydemono) well, now that you are in the process of being gentled, I don't think it suits you anymore.

Alfonas is much sweeter; like a twee wood-elf, gamboling about in married bliss.

message 25: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Monkey wrote: "well, now that you are in the process of being gentled, I don't think it suits you anymore.

Alfonas is much sweeter; like a twee wood-elf, gamboling about in married bliss."

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

message 26: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments smetchie wrote: "I don't know about really CHANGED my life in a major way but for sure books have changed my life in small ways. I have a shelf called "changed me forever" for books like that."

Wait. I lied. This book Sleeping Through the Night: How Infants, Toddlers, and Their Parents Can Get a Good Night's Sleep LITERALLY CHANGED MY LIFE. In a major way.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha!

message 28: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Bullshit. I tried.

message 29: by Monkey (new)

Monkey (reydemono) smetchie wrote: "Bullshit. I tried."

I think you musta been saying it backwards...

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments Ha!

message 31: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Don't forget saggy droopy bottoms. Time and gravity wreck havoc with those too.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments Kasia!

message 33: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Who? Who gets the weird big bellies?

message 34: by smetchie (last edited Jul 13, 2011 06:14PM) (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Monkey is making me want to read those damn Viking books. I just finished Pope Joan and they had Saxons and Vikings. (I think they were Vikings. They called them Norsemen but they had horns on their helmets so I sort of assumed.) Anyway for some reason that left me wanting MORE Vikings. Plus True Blood is back on and they've got Erik spending entire episodes without his shirt on and he's all skinny and lovely and more queer-looking than the queer character. (not that there's anything wrong with that. NOT A THING!) And you know he's a Viking, so. But the only people who seem to have read those books are BOYS so I'm guessing there isn't much in it for me...

message 35: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Isn't that from liver failure when you're skinny with a big round belly?

message 36: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments MMM beer and potatochips.

message 37: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) You know the vikings didn't really wear horns on their helmets, right?

message 38: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments smetchie wrote: "Isn't that from liver failure when you're skinny with a big round belly?"

I thought that was the result of mass beer consumption.

message 39: by smetchie (last edited Jul 13, 2011 06:35PM) (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Well they wore horns on their helmets in Pope Joan. Are you also going to try and tell me they didn't bash in people's skulls with giant hammers and rape Christians?

What did they wear on their helmets then? And also what was Frankish and Byzantine? Were people really walking around talking to one another about how unclean women were in the year 814! (it's triple digits!! What's the point of even living?) Who were the Saxons? Pagan swedes like Oddrun?? Where did all those Christians come from like a fucking plague? Why were they so angry and ugly and stupid?

message 40: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) They probably didn't wear anything on their helmets. You don't want to give an opponent in hand to hand combat a handle to use to while trying to decapitate you. There probably were at least a few giant hammers, and was almost certainly Christian raping.

Franks were, more or less, the people that became the French.

Byzantine people were the Greek speaking eastern Roman Empire, which had its capital at Constantinople. Istanbul was Constantinople, now it's Istanbul not Constantinople.

I can't speak to the unclean women question.

The Saxons were pagan Germans. Some of them migrated to Angle land with the pagan German Angles and Jutes, some years before Angle land was invaded by pagan Norweigans.

Where the Christians came from is kinda complicated.

If you didn't have toilet paper, running water, soap, cosmetics, public schools, and modern medecine, you'd be angry and ugly and stupid too.

message 41: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Thanks Tom! That was quite helpful. Where were you when I was reading that book, muttering to myself about countries that don't exist, and stubbornly refusing to google things?

message 42: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) Oddrun wrote: "The romans used spounge to wipe their asses. Nobody knows wether they shared spounges or not."

Yup. I thought they did share the sponges, but i may be thinking of the sticks people used during medieval times. Also, one of the Roman Emperors saved the urine from the public bathhouses, sold it to the laundries for the ammonia, and taxed all aspects of the transactions.

message 43: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Oddrun wrote: "I'm especially intruiged by the 'womitoriums'. I have this secret dream of adding one of those rooms to the house. Maybe when the kids move out."

Please make that your facebook status.

message 44: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) Please note that additional options can be added to the poll...

message 45: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Oddrun wrote: "Hell no, if simen knew, he would divorce me on the spot. Also, it's best that he doesn't know, then i can act as if i want to use it for something else."

Please explain the romance of an entire room for vomiting? Isn't that already one of the main purposes of the bathroom?

message 46: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Oddrun wrote: "Oh, no! It's a special place you go to when you have drunk and eaten more than your fill. The room is there to give you a short relief from all the good stuff, so you can turn back to the party rel..."

Would it be nice and dark and very cool?

message 47: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) Cogito, ergo cogito sum.

message 48: by Monkey (new)

Monkey (reydemono) Sum ergo cogito cogito

::smug::

message 49: by Monkey (new)

Monkey (reydemono) Oddrun wrote: "But you understood what i tried to say? Hydrocephalus is another funny word in latin."

No, I was all too busy trying to be intellectual with Google translate
Between vomitoriums and hydrocephalus there is a connection?

message 50: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Hydrocephalus is Greek, not Latin.