Love Inspired Books discussion

Author Interviews > Meet Patty Smith Hall

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Love Inspired (new)

Love Inspired Books (loveinspiredbooks) | 1035 comments Mod
Hearts in Flight (Love Inspired Historical) by Patty Smith Hall

1. What’s your sale story? How did you end up selling to Love Inspired? I’ve been reading Love Inspired since they were first published many years ago so when I felt the call to write, it became my goal to be published with LI.

The story of my sale was a long time in the making. It started with the ACFW Genesis Award for Historical Romance and a request for a full manuscript in 2008.. But with six surgeries in our immediate family, two graduations and a cross country move, I had to put writing on the back burner for a little while. When things finally settled, I got back to writing and in May, 2010, my fantastic agent, Tamela Hancock Murray sent my manuscript to Rachel Burkot at Love Inspired. On August 5, I was sitting at the drive through window, waiting on my tea when my agent called to tell me that I had a contract! Scared the girl behind the counter to death when I screamed!

2. How long have you been writing? I’ve been studying the craft of writing for ten years while my daughters were still in school. Once they graduated a couple of years ago, I began to write in earnest.

3. How many books did you write before selling to Love Inspired? I wrote a contemporary then changed it to a romantic suspense—both got rejected. Hearts in Flight is my first attempt in the historical genre.

4. What’s the best piece of writing advice you received in helping sell your first book? Put your backside in a chair and write! Too many people claim to be writers who never just sit down and write the story of their heart. But once you make that decision to sit still and put down your story, wonderful things happen.

5. What’s something you wish you’d known when you started your writing journey? Just like you can’t eat an elephant in a day, you can’t write a book in a day. Set a realistic word count and stick to it—before you know it, that book is done!

6. Do you have a Bible verse that guides your writing? If so, what is it? Romans 8:28—For we know that all things work together for those who love the Lord, according to His purpose. This verse reminds me every day that no matter what, good or bad, God is using the details in our lives to glorify Him.

7. What is your favorite writing book? James Scott Bell’s The Art of War for Writers is a great book for every person who is considering taking up writing. And I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the Flip Dictionary—I’ve gone through two copies!

8. What is the most recent Love Inspired book you’ve read? In the last five days, I’ve read both Marrying the Preacher’s Daughter by Cheryl St. John and The Wedding Season by Louise Gouge and Deborah Hale. Both were great reads that I’d highly recommend!

9. What does your writing life look like? I generally get up early, have breakfast and do devotions. After I get things settled around the house, I write for about four to five hours before starting dinner and doing errands. In the evenings, I meet my husband for our nightly walk then we have dinner. I read most nights until bedtime.

10.What advice would you give to an aspiring Love Inspired author? To paraphrase Winston Churchill, never, ever, never give up!!

message 2: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments Hi Patty cant wait for your book it looks so good and love the cover. thanks for sharing.

message 3: by Camy (new)

Camy (camytang) | 103 comments Yay Patty! So great to read about your "Call" story!

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Orchard (wwwsandraorchardcom) | 30 comments Sooo excited for you Patty! Looking forward to reading the book.

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 18 comments Great "call" story, Patty! Looking forward to your book! I love aviation stories.

message 6: by Deb (new)

Deb Kastner (debkastner) | 8 comments Congratulations, Patty! Welcome to LI. I always like hearing how other writers spend their days and manage to produce books. Wonderful advice!

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 18 comments Love your "call" story, Patty! Too funny! I burst out laughing. That poor girl! Thanks for sharing. I'm excited to read Hearts in Flight and get into another aviation story. Woohoo!

message 8: by Patty (new)

Patty Hall | 9 comments Thanks for the warm welcome! I feel blessed to be among such a talented and lovely group of ladies!