Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Member's Chat > Good literature with strong LGBT protagonists?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dina (new)

Dina | 1 comments Anyone have good suggestions for middle school students with strong LGBT protagonists or themes? I'm a new English teacher (used to teach elementary), starting this fall. Looking for good suggestions about either contemporary or more classic literature for my students.

Thanks!
Dina

p.s. Also open to other diverse themes and characters. Trying to have a well-rounded curriculum

message 2: by Fred (new)

Fred (flybrariman) | 10 comments Kissing Kate, by Lauren Myracle is a great book. It is pretty intense, and you should be sure you are ok with the language (not a lot, but it's real enough) if it's for middle schoolers. I'm pretty sure I remember another thread like this, so if you check around Goodreads I bet you'll find some great suggestions! Good luck!

message 3: by Tatiana (last edited Jul 10, 2011 05:30AM) (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Some that I know of:

Boy Meets Boy
Pink
Luna

You will probably need to check if it is suitable for MG.

This listopia list might help you too.

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/33...

message 4: by Jessica-Robyn (new)

Jessica-Robyn | 19 comments Will Grayson, Will Grayson is a good LGBT on the more humorous side but definitely something you have to read through and gauge.

message 5: by Kae (new)

Kae (superkaemo) I've been reading the Black Magician Trilogy and the sequel trilogy. The characters aren't completely in the foreground, but people keep accidentally finding out they're gay...

message 6: by Eli (new)

Eli Oldham (thebooksupplier) I teach 8th grade--here are some of the books that I've shelved LGBT. They're not all YA novels, but it's somewhere to start. http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

My first recommendation for middle school would be The Misfits by James Howe. I commend you for wanting to have a diverse reading list.

Also, if you need anything else, let me know. as a (new) university instructor in education, I enjoy helping.

Eli