Harlequin Presents Readers discussion

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by 3meg (new)

3meg | 361 comments Ok, so I like to track my books and I like to keep a database of all the HP's. Over the years I have used different tools but have not perfected any one of them. I currently use FictionDB and Calibre, but what I would really like is something that would allow me to customize the appearance and information more. Personally, I like to be able to see a small thumbnail of the bookcover, a small description, the number and then maybe a custome column or two. Maybe these columns could be added/subtracted depending on what I wanted to look at. So, has anyone else started/found anything like this or something they like better....would love to hear everyones thoughts on this.....
Megan

message 2: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 180 comments Megan,
I just use the "shelf" feature here to keep track of all my HP (and everything else as well) books. I have a shelf called "harlequin-similar" and I tag all my category books with this shelf name. Then it's easy to click on that shelf in the My Books section and sort by author, date, rating, etc. You can also download into Excel. I have given up on keeping track of my books in a spreadsheet since I started using GR.
This may not give you all the functionality you wanted, but it sure is easy!

message 3: by 3meg (last edited Jul 08, 2011 09:55AM) (new)

3meg | 361 comments I didn't realize I could download my bookshelf into excel...thanks. My thing is I like to see the cover, the description, and the number without having to click on each book...helps jog my questionable memory!

message 4: by Verity (new)

Verity | 567 comments I used Word then Excel before GR. I haven't used anyfink other than GR now & I gotta say my GR shelves are not up to date since I got my Kindle & Samsung android. I have over 800 ebooks I haven't input here. Too time consuming so I'll only make the entry if / when I'll have read 'em. I also borrow my bro's Ipad to read e-version but too lazy to track 'em.

message 5: by Verity (new)

Verity | 567 comments Megan wrote: "I didn't realize I could download my bookshelf into excel...thanks. My thing is I like to see the cover, the description, and the number without having to click on each book...helps jog my questio..."

I wish I could write an overview for everything I've evah read just as a reminder wot it's all about but I hardly have time to breathe 'cuz I read on & off while babysitting my 3 & 4 y/o nieces 7 days / week so no go.

message 6: by 3meg (new)

3meg | 361 comments ok, I downloaded a 30 trial version of Collectorz for book. Very cool book management, but not as functional as Calibre. Like Verity, I have a lot of ebooks (over 2400!) So, I really like that fact that Calibre holds on my books, lets me tag them and organize them....now if I could just get it to print/export and nice report that would let me look at my books the way I want to! In Calibre it does let me look at the cover and description I would just really like to put it in paper format if I want...especially with my presents, which I have over 800 in ebook not to mention all the paper copies in boxes!

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 2280 comments Mod
I use GRs to catalog my collection. Now what I do is catalog books as I buy them, and more specifically as I read them. I have saved my information on an excel file once, which I need to do again.

message 8: by Lemon (last edited Jul 09, 2011 09:35AM) (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
What are GRs? I think I need to start organizing my ebooks in some fashion too. I don't know how many duplicates of HP novels I have inadvertently purchased because I don't realize that I have already bought AND read them before. A lot of the books are just not that memorable and all the titles and story lines kind of all sound the same so it is hard for me to keep track of them all. I don't know how many iterations of "the bla bla Mistress" or "the bla bla bla Lovechild" or "the Greek's/Italian's bla bla bla" and the likes are out there. Is it any wonder a girl gets confused?

message 9: by 3meg (new)

3meg | 361 comments If you have started using an ereader, then I highly recommend Calibre. It is freeware and really useful. I am thinking of starting some type of system with just my HP's so that I don't keep re-buying and I can find the one I am looking for. That is why I like the format of a tiny thumbnail of the cover, the back description and the number. The cover and description helps me the most!! I also like the idea of being able to look at ones that I don't have like that too...just gotta come up with the best way to do all of the above. I am totally with you Lululemon - the titles get me nowhere!!! Let's keep brainstorming/sharing and I will happily copy any database I create for you all.....

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

GRs is just the abbreviation for Goodreads.

message 11: by Janice (new)

Janice | 37 comments I find that Fiction DB really helps me. I go back to that to make sure I don't rebuy a HP that I already read.

message 12: by 3meg (new)

3meg | 361 comments Ok, I have moved forward with Calibre as my database of choice. It stores my ebooks and allows me to list the ones that I do not have. It also lets me send my info straight to GoodReads. It allows me to update various bookshelves in bulk! So far this seems to best way to catalog and keep all the books and helps me know what I have in various formats. I tried the Collectz software and all that did was let me keep a list, which I can do on GR or FictionDB...so far I have cataloged about 1500 of the HP's, which is about half! The other half will take longer, but I am determined to finish!!!

message 13: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (last edited Jul 15, 2011 09:45AM) (new)

How did you get the Calibre software, Megan? Do you have a link to the website?

message 14: by willaful (last edited Jul 15, 2011 09:49AM) (new)

willaful | 344 comments Megan, how do you send the info to GoodReads? I'd so love to do that.

Danielle: http://calibre-ebook.com/

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Thanks, Willa.

message 16: by 3meg (new)

3meg | 361 comments Ok, I see you got the link to calibre - so now you need to add the goodreads plugin. To do this you will need to go to preferences. At the bottom under advanced click on plugins and select 'get new plugins' from the tabs. and you want to download all that say goodreads (i have 3). From there it is easiest to follow the plugin install instructions (i am pretty sure they will tell you how to get them when you go to install...if not let me know!

message 17: by 3meg (new)

3meg | 361 comments oh, and you can transfer info in both directions...goodreads can sync down to calibre (although I have not done this)

message 18: by willaful (new)

willaful | 344 comments Hmm. I'm not finding the "get new plugins." "Add a new plugin" takes me to my files to choose one, not to a download option.

message 19: by 3meg (new)

3meg | 361 comments willaful wrote: "Hmm. I'm not finding the "get new plugins." "Add a new plugin" takes me to my files to choose one, not to a download option."

ok, and once you select the goodreads one, does it take you to a download? It may have given them to you and you just need to install them. I think I have had calibre before this plugin was written, so I had to download them...

message 20: by willaful (new)

willaful | 344 comments There isn't a goodreads option to select, it takes me a window to choose from my own files. Perhaps we're using different versions of calibre.

message 21: by 3meg (new)

3meg | 361 comments hmm...let me check it out

message 22: by 3meg (new)

3meg | 361 comments ok, do you have a Plugin Forum Thread link in the bottom right corner? if you click on it it should take you to the mobileread site with the plugins and scroll down until you find this:
plugin_apnx_generator-1.1.0.zip

message 23: by willaful (new)

willaful | 344 comments Nope. :-( Our calibres seem to behave very differently. Thanks for trying though.

message 24: by 3meg (new)

3meg | 361 comments http://www.mobileread.com/forums/show... is the site it takes me to....let me know if this works