Drama and Theatre discussion

Graduate School

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Oct 08, 2008 09:15PM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments Ok, y'all... I'm thinking of going to grad school. My undergrad is a straight up BA in Theatre with a focus in Stage Management and Directing.

I'm interested in returning to school and wanted to know where you think the BEST programs are. I want to do Arts Management (in order to get some heavy experience in becoming a Managing Artistic Director). I have done some research already, but kinda want to leave the floor open for your opinions.

Any thoughts? (Pretty please with a cherry on top!!!)

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 110 comments I am sorry, I'l ask my friends. I am currently going to grad school in theatre, but I am in a theatre history PhD program, so that probably won't help you that much...

message 3: by Amanda (last edited Sep 22, 2008 05:24PM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments Where do you go to school?
I've reasearched several schools that have great reputations for theatre in general, but the Arts Management program is rare.

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (danm) | 12 comments Amanda...greetings from one former SM to another. I'm also a straight-up BA, so I don't have any personal knowledge of MA/MFA programs. I know that St. Mary's University, out of Winona, MN has an Arts Administration MFA program. I think that actual course are in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Maybe there's a satellite campus there? I don't know for sure. I know the man, former SMU dean, who started the program.

I don't know anything about it, other than it exists and people study there.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments That helps, Daniel! Definitely!!!!
Muchas gracias, fellow SM!
:) :) :)

message 6: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hisey (dani12) | 6 comments Hello Amanda. I have actually done extensive research on Arts Administration Programs. I was in the midst of filling out applications for programs when I decided that I would rather go to school for Directing. You probably already know this, but in your research you will find that some programs are much more directed towards fundraising and development and some are directed towards public programs and program development. University of Indiana and DePaul University were my two top choices. You could also go the Theatre Management/Administration Route if you plan to stay working in the theatre. Much more specific, but if you are sticking with theatre, not a bad choice

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments Danielle, where are you doing your directing program?
Why didn't I think of DePaul before? I'll look up both those schools!
THANKS!!!

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments Also, Danielle, did you research other schools besides U of I and DP? Which ones? Honestly, I've had a terrible time even finding schools that offer what I want!

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hisey (dani12) | 6 comments I started my research with this website http://www.artsadministration.org/grad
there is actually an association of Arts Administration degree offering schools. I really did research on all of these schools before deciding that I liked DePaul and IU the best. Arts Administration isn't a very well known degree yet, but it is growing as the push for arts organizations grow. I found this site to be the most helpful tool in my research process.
I am not yet in a directing program. I am still working in a few different theatres and trying to decide when I want to begin applying. However, my first pick thus far is DePaul.

message 10: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hisey (dani12) | 6 comments Let me know if you have any other questions. Good Luck!

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments You rock!

message 12: by le bricoleur (new)

le bricoleur Boyle (le_bricoleur) | 12 comments If you're interested in theatre in a serious way, you should try to do your graduate degree in NYC. It is the theatre capital of the world.

The other nice things about the PhD programs in New York is that all of the schools are connected via a greater-New York university network. Meaning that if you're doing your PhD at CUNY, you can take classes at Columbia, Princeton, Fordham, NYU and Rutgers.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments Of course I'm interested in a serious way! What do you take me for???

(Could you sense my fake outrage? No? ...and that's why I'm not a playwright.)

message 14: by le bricoleur (new)

le bricoleur Boyle (le_bricoleur) | 12 comments saucy

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments Thanks...
I'm blushing! ;)

message 16: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (danm) | 12 comments Amanda--

Check this out: http://www.artsjournal.com/artfulmana...

Daniel

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments Gorgeous.

message 18: by Letitia (new)

Letitia | 24 comments If you're interested in the other coast, UW has a great program! Jon Jory is there, of course. I can really only speak with experience of that program, and the one at Rutgers, for which I have no respect. Every day I'm here I regret it more. I'm not in the program but husband and brother-in-law both are. Inefficiently run, oppressive environment, mediocre to shitty work. It's riding on a 20-year-old reputation.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments Inefficiently run, oppressive environment, mediocre to shitty work.
I've heard the same thing about Julliard, from a friend who used to work there. I really hate that there is this disconnect between reuputation and quality of output. If I'm going back to school, I want bang for my buck and I'm not sure there is a happy medium out there. Ugh.

message 20: by le bricoleur (new)

le bricoleur Boyle (le_bricoleur) | 12 comments thanks for the heads-up re: rutgers.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

so yeah, I'm going to be applying to Yale and NYU for acting. haha. *sigh*

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments Awww, why sigh?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Because I have very little chance of getting in! :P

message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments Ohhhhhh... Confidence!!!! You'll rock, I just know it. When are auditions?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

My NYU audition is Jan. 10th... this Saturday O_O.

My Yale audition is Feb. 1st.

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments Break a leg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll do great!

message 27: by Nessie (new)

Nessie | 42 comments Adam? How did it go?

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for asking, Nessie! I think it went pretty well, actually. They asked me back after the first round to see my one monologue again... so I dunno, that's cool. I found out sometime in February whether or not I'm getting called back.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Update: I didn't get into either Yale or NYU. I'm actually kind of relieved, because now I can actually try my hands at the business rather than being locked down to a specific place for three years, heh.

message 30: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary Adam, your attitude serves you well, and I wish you the best gaining hands-on experience in the business. There are so many paths to our goals and so many ways to acquire the skills we need. Reading some of the messages in this thread, I was reminded of family and friends who pursue the arts and academics from a variety of angles, facing down disappointments and making themselves new opportunities. In the past I've also looked longingly at MFA programs, then accpeted my particular circumstances and went on with my day-job, squeezing in a little writing time here and there. The Wizard of Oz, whatever form he takes, gives us recognition. Your talent is already with you.

message 31: by Tim (new)

Tim (timgonzalezwiler) | 1 comments Great point Rosemary. I actually continued from my Bachelor of General Studies on to get my MFA in Asian Performance and Multicultural Directing (how's that for a mouthful), but I'm happily on a box office management/director of ticketing path instead. I don't regret a thing about either choice. I learned the most amazing new skill sets in my MFA program, became a more rounded artist, and found ways to use those talents in the business side of theatre. Linking back to the start of this thread, I think theatre administrators need to have experience acting, directing, tech, and administrative management in addition to a savvy business mind and creative fundraising skills. A business/arts management degree coupled with real-life production experience seems like a good educational path.

I wonder if Amanda even reads the thread anymore, but if she does, I'd be curious on where she wound up.

message 32: by Scott (new)

Scott (saustin) NYU has programs in performing arts professionals. My MA is from the Steinhardt school at NYU in Educational Theatre and I currently teach and direct at the high school level. It was a good program that allowed me to explore teaching artistry, pushed professional writing and conferences and really helped me see what I could do with theatre other than audition all the time.(Education is not the only program thread)