The Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger discussion

Who do you cast?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by April (new)

April | 6 comments So I'm one of those people that likes to have a mental picture of characters when I read a book and there are so many great characters on the Tarabotti series. I was discussing the series with a friend recently and she mentioned that she pictured Rupert Friend as Lord Akeldama, based on the books description. It was then I realized that I had always pictured Elton John in the role, which I know does not fit the description, but I always saw Sir Elton being able to pull of a pink/turquoise waistcoat and gold satin leggings. Anyhoo, I'd be interested to hear who other fans cast for the series characters.

p.s.- I'm currently considering a strong candidate for Professor Lyall, but I wanted to see if anyone is interested in discussing this topic before I put my choice out there....

message 2: by Jerri (new)

Jerri | 5 comments I am often amazed at how those who cast movies pick either the perfect actor or make the worst possible choice. Sometimes their choice is someone I would never consider but it still works. Personally I don't cast the books I read with real life actors but I will say that I do not see Elton John as Lord Akeldama. I would love however to hear your choice for Professor Lyall as he is one of my favorite characters in the series. Please share...

message 3: by April (new)

April | 6 comments Jerri wrote: "I am often amazed at how those who cast movies pick either the perfect actor or make the worst possible choice. Sometimes their choice is someone I would never consider but it still works. Personal..."

April wrote: "So I'm one of those people that likes to have a mental picture of characters when I read a book and there are so many great characters on the Tarabotti series. I was discussing the series with a fr..."

I knew my choice of Sir Elton for Lord A would be a solitary choice (haha!). I too love the good Professor and I submit for your consideration.....James McAvoy! Here's my case: He's smaller in stature, but still strong and capable. You need someone who can look like a scholar but hold his own in a fight. Also, you need someone who can convery a quiet intensity but also shows a sense of humor from time to time.
Thoughts? Feelings? Yes, no, maybe?
(Disclaimer: I must confess that I would watch James McAvoy read the newspaper, so I am a bit biased here..)

message 4: by Jerri (new)

Jerri | 5 comments I must confess that I had to look him up and then I realized he just played Charles Xavier in the latest Xmen movie. Good choice although my mental picture of Lyall is that he is tall and thin. Still I like Mr. McAvoy. How about Jude Law? Too handsome?

message 5: by April (new)

April | 6 comments Jerri wrote: "I must confess that I had to look him up and then I realized he just played Charles Xavier in the latest Xmen movie. Good choice although my mental picture of Lyall is that he is tall and thin. Sti..."

Hmmmm....It is true that I imagine Conall being the more attractive of the duo and it would be hard to outshine Jude Law. However, I could see Jude Law as Channing Channing! Tall, confident blonde. Perhaps?

message 6: by Jerri (new)

Jerri | 5 comments Hmmm...yes, that would be the better choice. Now Conall. Someone Scottish. Sean Connery is too old but might've been fun. Maybe Gerard Butler?

message 7: by April (new)

April | 6 comments Jerri wrote: "Hmmm...yes, that would be the better choice. Now Conall. Someone Scottish. Sean Connery is too old but might've been fun. Maybe Gerard Butler?"

Conall is really tough because I don't know enough Scots to compare. I did think of GB because he definitely has the "Alpha" thing going on. i guess I've always kept my mental picture of Conall vague because I couldn't find the right vision. A younger Sean Connery would have been great. Are you on Gail Carriger's Facebook page (Shock of shocks, I'm not on Facebook!)? Has she ever cast these characters? I'd be interested to know who she said.

message 8: by Jerri (new)

Jerri | 5 comments She doesn't have a "real" FB page. Its one that someone created from information from Wikipedia. BTW, thanks for making me look because I just discovered that Gail Carriger is not her real name! Did you know that? Anyway, she doesn't strike me as the type who would cast her characters. Maybe elsewhere on the web.

message 9: by Jerri (new)

Jerri | 5 comments Actually, she does have a FB page but it doesn't divulge much.

message 10: by April (new)

April | 6 comments Yesterday a friend told me she saw on GC's web page that she would cast Paul Bettany as a possible Lord A. That is interesting, non? I can see it: He's handsome but capable of danger.

message 11: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (neverendingtbrgemma) Jerri wrote: "Hmmm...yes, that would be the better choice. Now Conall. Someone Scottish. Sean Connery is too old but might've been fun. Maybe Gerard Butler?"

I agree with Gerard Butler as Conall, I could also see Gemma Arterton as Alexia (after seeing her in Prince of Persia, she has a bit of a bite could work?!?)

message 12: by Susan Pola (new)

Susan Pola Staples | 1 comments Excuse me, ladies, but Conal could be Sam Heughan. He's commanding, handsome, Scottish and tall.