flight paths discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive:What Are You Reading > Week of July 10-16

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Please share and discuss the books you read/are reading the week of July 10-16.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Until very recently, I had a very muddled idea about Graham Greene. I think I thought he was someone else. Or something. But it seems that everyone on GR loves his work, so I'm going to have to check him out.

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments Also Brighton Rock is amazing. And The Power and the Glory.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Definitely adding some GG to my TBR list...

message 5: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments I never get tired of Greene.

message 6: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments Thanks, Kinks-I don't think I've read "Under the Garden"-the title doesn't ring a bell (love that phrase!). So I'll have to get hold of a copy.

The heat is killing me-I'm sitting here kind of drenched. And since it's not raining by the computer I guess I'll go lie down. :(

message 7: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Jul 11, 2011 10:08PM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2241 comments Her Royal Orangeness wrote: "Until very recently, I had a very muddled idea about Graham Greene. I think I thought he was someone else. Or something. But it seems that everyone on GR loves his work, so I'm going to have to che..."

You know, I recently noted 4 authors I have never read in that muddled category: Greene, Evelyn Waugh, Wodehouse and Powell. These comments tell me, in GGs case especially, that its time to look into these guys

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) I found some GG books (with the Vintage Publication covers that I love!) for really cheap, so I'll soon be discovering what it is you are raving about. :) His books are set in all kinds of interesting locales, so I think I'll do a GG mini challenge alongside an upcoming challenge to read around the globe. I'll be starting with The Power and the Glory in October!

message 9: by Her Royal Orangeness (last edited Jul 12, 2011 05:23AM) (new)

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Finished yesterday...

Tender Is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Tender Is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
4 Stars

Not as good as The Great Gatsby but I just love Fitzgerald's writing. style.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Kinkajou wrote: "When you start reading GG, please keep me posted on what you think. I'm curious :)"

Will do! I started a GG thread over in the Authors folder.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) I have a new favorite author - Irène Némirovsky

Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky

Fire in the Blood by Irène Némirovsky

Both 5 Stars. Simply brilliant.

(Technically, Suite Française belongs in last week's folder, but I thought I'd post these books together.)

message 12: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2241 comments this week I finished reading the chapter on Buddhism in Sacred Paths and began the chapter on the camino. It's so exciting to recognize the places he describes from my own experience.
I read the Sky so Big and Black. It is not a long book, and truthfully, I was distracted this week by other priorities so this undoubtedly affected my reading.

message 13: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2241 comments Kinkajou wrote: "[book:Graham Greene: Complete Short Stories... Love ..."

so I was keeping an eye on this book at the store and thinking I should buy it already, when a customer pre-empted me and I had to sell it to somebody else on Thursday

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.