Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > Favorite Austen Hero?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachael (last edited Sep 22, 2008 04:00PM) (new)

Rachael (rprensner) | 35 comments All her heroines end up happy- the question is, who is the man for you? Here's the list:
Fitzwilliam Darcy: reserved, serious, brooding, intelligent
Mr. Bingley: friendly, open, warm
Edward Ferrars: kind, polite, faithful
George Knightley: brotherly, wise, protective, caring
Edmund Bertram: conscientious, intelligent, sensitive, wise
Frederick Wentworth: strong, spirited
Henry Tilney: witty, clever, but sympathetic
I'm sure you won't all agree with those descpriptions either- feel free to comment! And post away!

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 20 comments I think every girl would like to be with a Mr. Darcy but I agree with you that he seems brooding and serious. I would think that was sexy at first but after awhile I'd get annoyed. Some of the other men seem too polite and wise, almost as if they would look down on their women and not want to have fun. I think Henry Tilney and Frederick Wentworth are more my speed.

I was researching Jane Austen and found a site that lists which chracters would have been the best in bed..hypothetically of course! No smut or anything just a list. I thought it was interesting to take their personalities and take them into the bedroom, a place Jane Austen would not have ever gone with her writing, but modern writers go all the time. Here's the link.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~awoodley...

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (beatrixkiddo) | 29 comments I'm not exactly sure whether Darcy is such an annoying man. I believe he SEEMS annoying because he was falling in a situation he always criticized, and that was very conflictive to him. But once he accepted that, I am sure he became a very passionate man, and at the same time intelligent and protective. He showed this part of his personality when, defeated, he confessed his feelings to Lizzy; so we are in front of a man who is not cold or indiferent, but who could feel such a strong love that makes him recognize mistakes and ask for forgiveness... and that man is DEFINITELY for me!!

So, I'll go for Fitzwilliam Darcy =D

message 4: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rprensner) | 35 comments Mr. Darcy would be too serious and boring for me.
Edward Ferrars and Edmund Bertram would be too bland and polite- I need someone with a little spunk.
Mr. Knightley- no, I don't want a FATHER for a husband.
I have to have someone who can make me laugh- so JA wasnt really writing for me as she focusedsmore on making all her heroes proper and serious.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy (amy_lofgreen) | 9 comments Thinking of what man is best for you can be fun--I have a favorite website that makes it a little more glorious. Masterpiece Theatre made a site entitles "The Men of Austen" Go check it out: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/a...

They have pictures and facts like one might find on a dating site. I really got a kick out of it. Of course they use the characters from their new movies (all of which are amazing). If you haven't seen them I recommend you do. The new Sense and Sensibility is my new favorite. I didn't think you could improve on the Emma Thompson version, but I was wrong.

Enjoy!

message 6: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rprensner) | 35 comments Really? The new S7S is THAT good? That's seems to good to be true. I HAVE to see it. Thanks for the recomendation!
ALso, I LOVED the website you sent me too! Much better descriptions than mine, lol.

message 7: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rprensner) | 35 comments LOVED this page. Those little sketches were SO funny- and I very decent imitation of Austen as well.

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 32 comments What I need is a cross between Mr. Darcy, Frederick Wentworth & Col. Brandon. Combined together they would make the dreamest man...

Mr. Darcy is itelligent & Witty (I could not be with a dumb man) Also very stable and family orientated.

Frederick Wentworth would be loyal to me and love me till I die and then still love me. (cannot abide those who lie & cheat)

and well Col. Brandon would do absolutely anything to please me and spoil me rotten whether I deserved it or not! Not to mention a bit more settled down and all.

Let's not forget they are all absolutely dishy anyway!

message 9: by Summer (new)

Summer | 8 comments I have high regard for Mr. Knightley. I think he'd be steadying and loving.

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Jamie By a slim margin, I'd have to say Henry Tilney, since he seems to be so smart, funny, and sweet. Darcy would be my next pick, but I also haven't read Emma or Persuasion yet.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann | 69 comments I'll always love Mr, Knightly!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Col. Brandon.

message 13: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Cant pick one...
Darcy of course but to be a bit different ...
Knightly , Brandon and Wentworth (and Tilney)
Loving the love for Knightly btw :)

message 14: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 48 comments Oh, Captain Wentworth - he knows how to write a good letter!

message 15: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Yes!!!
'you pierce my soul. I am half hope, half agony!' <3

message 16: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Totally agree!!!! :D

message 17: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 80 comments Col.Brandon and Edmund Bertram are my favorites.

message 18: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Brandon <3....

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 79 comments Captain Wentworth is my favorite. Followed by Knightly. Was never really a Mr. Darcy fan...I know I am one of the odd ones.

message 20: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Not odd, I mean I wouldn't complain if I had a Wentworth or a Knightley!!
We all have our tastes! :)

message 21: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Emma is fun and light hearted with a great, intricate plot.
MP has a great plot and is more about the importance of family.
S&S is also about relationships - between sisters, mother daughter as well as man woman. Again a great plot, and (although completely different,) it is almost like what p&P could have been if Mr Bennett had died - but saying that, they are completely different stories.
Persuasion is more series but extremely romantic. A nice aspect to have a love lost, ad then the hero and heroine meeting again 8 years later.
What else do you want to know?

message 22: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Thats a hard question.
Love P&P and NA - you've read those.
Then it would be... Emma and Persuasion. S&S is great to!! As is MP - MP is quite complicated and takes a little while longer to get into, but worth it once you do. :)
I also recommend the Amanda Grange diary series which tells the stories from the heroes points of view - which I am currently working my way through and which are AMAZING!!

message 23: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (juleseemimi) | 95 comments Jamie wrote: "By a slim margin, I'd have to say Henry Tilney, since he seems to be so smart, funny, and sweet. Darcy would be my next pick, but I also haven't read Emma or Persuasion yet."

I love Henry Tilney, too. But in some ways it bothers me how much he likes Catherine Morland - almost as if he wants a wife who is naive so that he can be the smart one. (On a more positive note, he wants to protect her, perhaps.) I wish he fell in love with a stronger heroine. (Not that I don't think Catherine is fantastic - but she's naive and mentally seems very young.)

message 24: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (juleseemimi) | 95 comments Soph wrote: "Emma is fun and light hearted with a great, intricate plot.
MP has a great plot and is more about the importance of family.
S&S is also about relationships - between sisters, mother daughter as w..."

If S&S can be likened to P&P if Mr. Bennet died, then Persuasion can be likened to P&P if Darcy and Elizabeth didn't meet again in Derbyshire. How sad would that be! Persuasion is such a wonderful novel.

message 25: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I do know what you mean. But then again, they are both quite young. I still like him.

That is such an interesting point!!! A what if for p and p would be like persuasion.
There is a book I saw which I might look into, which was a 'what If' Lizzie had accepted Darcy at the first proposal.
Which is an interesting concept, I wonder how long before Lizzie learnt Darcy's real character.

message 26: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Very well put Steph!!! :D