Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Malazan Book of the Fallen > Midnight Tides Book 4-Midnight Tides July7-15

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
The Edur have declared war on Letheras, and things seem to be falling apart. Except for Tehol's plan...which should soon show itself...

Gerun Eberict is not reacting well to the robbery of his home, Kettle seems to be coming back to life, and the dead are 'converging'.

Looks like we are in for another Erikson conclusion coming up!

message 2: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

The storyline with Kettle really gets intriguing here. WHo is coming to life? Kettle or the JAghut inside her? What is it's purpose...?

Death is such a casual thing in Letheras...if the Edur do defeat them, will anyone even notice?

message 3: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I didn't realize it was a Jaghut inside Kettle. In my mind I guess I was thinking it was another Forkrul Assail. But it has been called the Unnamed One.

To answer your question, I think both are coming alive. Perhaps the Jaghut is allowing Kettle to live again. Whatever is inside of Kettle isn't fully awake yet.

message 4: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Amelia-I did mispeak...it is a Forkrul Assail. I was also thinking about that Jaghut Huntress, and what that might imply, and somehow lumped the two stories together...lol I should not post before I have coffee!

We see more Kettle in Book 7, when she 'hits the road' so to speak, but I dont think much was cleared up.

As for the Nameless Ones, we will be seeing more from them too, and what their agenda is with all this.

message 5: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Glad to know I hadn't missed something that big.

I still think it's interesting that the Jaghut keep showing up all over, even the T'lan Imass have been trying to exterminate them for centuries. Another thought: as a reader, the first introduction to a Jaghut was the tyrant in Gardens and for a T'lan Imass it was Tool. Both seem to be the oddballs for their respective races, at least based on the other books I've read so far.

I loved the part when Rhulad and his brothers go after the Forkrul Assail that some villagers releases. Or maybe the part I love were those two crazy demons who chased after it.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments You guys are having a great discussion! I just checked this folder today and saw I'd been tardy in marking threads as important so I fixed it!

Looks like you're having fun! Keep at it.

message 7: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

oh we intend to! lol

message 8: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments I know that's right!! :)

message 9: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Amelia wrote: "Glad to know I hadn't missed something that big.

I still think it's interesting that the Jaghut keep showing up all over, even the T'lan Imass have been trying to exterminate them for centuries...."

I thought that was a great scene too! Even though the FA killed Rhulad, it was funnier than hell. I like that there names seem so opposite of their personalities (this one was Serenity?) But if you think about what they say, it does kind of make sense....lol

message 10: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

This section is so action-packed, it's like going from battle to battle....but there are a couple of important things happening here:

Bugg is working all the angles, but the coincidence of the Edur unit that found Tehol near Mayen gets him seriously distracted...I wonder how things could have come out different otherwise?

Brys-what a stupid way to go...but I do beleive that the Guardian has some plan for him, I like how the Guardian is mad at Mael.

Sichas Ruin has escaped with the help of Udinass and Kettle. They are going to make up a rather interesting travel party!

also, Fear's leaving Trull...what a horrible decision!

message 11: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments This last section I was getting quite distraught. When it looked like Tehol had died I almost wanted to throw my book at something. My initial thoughts were,(view spoiler)

I really liked Brys too. His last fight with Rhulad really showed what an amazing swordsman he was. Stupid poisoned wine.

Man, there's so much I'm looking forward to in the books to come. Kettle, Sichas Ruin and Udinass joining up is one of those.

Interesting implications about Fear. I hadn't really thought about what could have happened to Trull if only Fear had stayed. I imagine the reason Trull was cast out was because he didn't kill Rhulad in the throne room.

Great series, no amazing, astounding, marvelous stuff. Glad I've got Goodreads to talk to about it because my brother is reading Gardens too slow!

message 12: by David (new)

David (davk) I always imagined Trull's plot to be the story he's telling Onrack, Ibra Gholan, Monok Ochem and Minala in House of Chains. So I somewhat mislike that Erikson didn't include the reason for Trull's shoring in this book, too. (view spoiler)

message 13: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Amelia wrote: "This last section I was getting quite distraught. When it looked like Tehol had died I almost wanted to throw my book at something. My initial thoughts were, why the heck am I reading this when e..."

Trull's shoring was because he DARED to speek out against Rhulad from the start and then he DARED to defy him in the Throne room! All reasons why Trull is a fav of mine!!

And I agree Amelia it was almost too much seeing what happened to Tehol, and then SE does his SE magic and we still have Tehol/Bugg's story line!!

message 14: by David (new)

David (davk) Shelley wrote: "Trull's shoring was because he DARED to speek out against Rhulad from the start and then he DARED to defy him in the Throne room!"

(view spoiler)Midnight Tides ended with Trull going back to Rhulad because he didn't want to abandon him too or at least to find a way to help him. For all we know at this point, his shoring could've been month later for whatever mad reason.

message 15: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments David wrote: So I somewhat mislike that Erikson didn't include the reason for Trull's shoring in this book, too..."

I guess it's just me, but after reading MT and the end in the Throne room between Rhulad, Fear and Trull, I knew why Trull was shorn....

message 16: by Amelia (last edited Jul 25, 2011 09:04AM) (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Shelley wrote: "David wrote: So I somewhat mislike that Erikson didn't include the reason for Trull's shoring in this book, too..."

I guess it's just me, but after reading MT and the end in the Throne room betw..."

I figured that too, especially since Rhulad was quite upset that Trull and Fear wouldn't obey him. I bet Fear would have been shorn too if he had stuck around too. (Although he didn't have the initial speaking out against Rhulad like Trull did.)

message 17: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Amelia wrote: "Shelley wrote: "David wrote: So I somewhat mislike that Erikson didn't include the reason for Trull's shoring in this book, too..."

I guess it's just me, but after reading MT and the end in the ..."

Too funny Amelia I was going to say the same thing you did about Fear, but then I thought that maybe I would have been the only one getting that idea!! :)

message 18: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Shelley wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Shelley wrote: "David wrote: So I somewhat mislike that Erikson didn't include the reason for Trull's shoring in this book, too..."

I guess it's just me, but after reading MT and ..."

If two of us agree on that point it must be true. We should create a "what would have happened if only this had happened" book.

message 19: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments LOLLLLLLLLLLL....It would be a best seller for sure! :P

message 20: by David (last edited Jul 25, 2011 02:28PM) (new)

David (davk) Well, it just felt too obvious, especially because SE didn't include it in MT and Trull for sure didn't expect it at all otherwise he would have stayed with Seren and Fear.
Plus we already knew that the shoring will take place in the Nascent and not in the throne room. Rhulad had just conquered the Letheri Empire, he and his entourage - especially his most trusted men (his new brothers) - can't just leave the realm. So some time must have passed between those two events.
That's why I tended to believe that this alone can't be the reason for the shoring, that some more stuff will happen first, Rhulad forgave Trull before, he could do it again.
I'm not sure but I think Rhulad's name wasn't even mentioned during the shoring, was it? The Warlock King could've been already back in power by then and thus ordering the shoring just to get rid of the remaining Sengar(s).

Anyway, I would have preferred if SE had included it in MT, just 3-4 more pages, maybe even from Nisall's point of view.

message 21: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments David wrote: "Anyway, I would have preferred if SE had included it in MT, just 3-4 more pages, maybe even from Nisall's point of view...."

I hear you David, but SE doesn't write that way. The only time I have seen him do the kind of "tying all the strings together" writing is in the final book...

message 22: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments David wrote: "I'm not sure but I think Rhulad's name wasn't even mentioned during the shoring, was it? The Warlock King could've been already back in power by then and thus ordering the shoring just to get rid of the remaining Sengar(s)."

Rhulad's name wasn't mentioned as part of the shoring. It just says that it was his brothers who did this to him. I was actually surprised to see that Fear had left. I thought that leaving Trull in the shattered warren was a greater punishment than just doing it in the throne room. Sure there could be more things that lead up to the shoring and the expulsion, but I also thought of Midnight Tides as Trull's telling of his story, (with extra POV's thrown in there too), so it seems natural that this would be the reason of his expulsion and shoring.