Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Fantasy lands where people have some magic powers

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vidya (new)

Vidya (vidyasamson) | 82 comments Are there any recent books like this, set in some fictional country where fantastical things can happen? or are they no longer in vogue?

Seems like recent paranormal romances seem to be set more or less on earth [with some forays into Hell or the Underworld], in some American city. Perhaps readers identify more with this setting?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments The best of the best - the Tairen Soul series by C.L. Wilson starting with Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson

Unfortunately (my opinion) this series of five books (the series is finished although thankfully there will be a couple of spinoff books) is classified as "Romance" which it is, but it does not belong in the category of cheesy romance novels. I believe that is why it has not been "discovered" by a lot of readers who love fantasy. The writing, the characters, the story are beyond wonderful. I read all five of them in December and January and then started over and read them again. My brother, my son, and a number of my friends have read and loved them. Okay, done raving....

message 3: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments For a fictional world with fantastical happenings, there are The Battle Sylph (Sylph, #1) by L.J. McDonald and The Shattered Sylph (Sylph, #2) by L.J. McDonald , both of which have strong romantic elements, very unusual heroes (the battle sylphs), and strong heroines.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary | 42 comments I gravitate towards the urban fantasy (the ones set in American Citys) but if you haven't already you might check out Jacqueline Carey I first read Kushiel's Dart, Avatar when they came out and they are still some of my favorite books even today. I haven't gotten a chance to read any of her more recent stuff but I know she's written quite a few books.

Another few that have been recommended but I haven't had a chance to read yet:

The Red Wolf Conspiracy
The Ambassador's MissionA Magic of Dawn

Here is also a good website that might help you find something to read: http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/top25...

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I don't in general care for urban fantasy and things set in present day (some definite exceptions to this of course) I love fantasy set in a make believe world Here are some good ones, some but not all of them YA.

shana Abe's Drakon series I LOVE these and have reviewed the first three. First book is:
The Smoke Thief

Son of Ereubus
Poison Study (the first two are great, the third one not so great)

Graceling and Fire

But as I said above the greatest of all is the Tairen Soul series - blew me away and I read all five without doing any more than setting down the finished one and picking up the next. There is no way to do them justice in a review.

message 6: by Vidya (new)

Vidya (vidyasamson) | 82 comments Thanks a lot, everyone. Am reading the reviews of all these now.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Anya Bast's Dark Magick series - the fae are incarcerated in a magically cordoned off part of earth.
Wicked Enchantment (Dark Magick, #1) by Anya Bast Cruel Enchantment (Dark Magick #2) by Anya Bast Dark Enchantment (Dark Magick, #3) by Anya Bast