Book Haven discussion

Contests > Book Haven Contest

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
I am the moderator of Book Haven. As a thank you to all of my wonderful members, I would like to create a contest that would allow two of my members to win an ebook copy of my book, Caged in Darkness.
The contest would end on August 7th, and the two winners would get an ebook copy in ANY format they prefer. For those who do not have ereaders, I can send a PDF ebook, which you can read on your computer.
To make the contest fun, I want to have it be a REAL contest. (Example: Entries would be a written poem, or something)
However, since I am purely doing this as a thank you to my amazing members. I want your input on what type of contest you would like. I want it to be something creative and I am asking for your help in brainstorming. :)

The only ideas I have come up with so far...

A poem that represents my book based on the cover, spynopsis, and prelude from my blog.

A graphic design to represent my book

A 1 page paper about the most interesting piece of information you can find about witches, demons, angels, etc.

Any and other ideas are appreciated! I am going to post the contest and the rules to it by July 15th. Please give me some fun ideas that you think everyone would enjoy doing! This is supposed to be FUN, but also my way of showing I appreciate my members. ;)

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan1) Id love to do a paper, but I think that people should be allowed to choose what they wish to do, from the three options. The you pick three winners from each category, them choose an overall winner from those three. :)

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan1) A
Though many people don't have ereaders like kindles/nooks/ect.
I have an iPad but I hate reading from it.
You could have an option for an ordinary book.

message 4: by Grace (new)

Grace | 8 comments I like the poem idea. :)

message 5: by J.D. (new)

Can anyone think of some new ideas? Still tell me which ones you like, but if you can think of something else, please let me know. :)

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris A graphic design to represent the book sounds like fun to me.

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 111 comments No ideas. When I've done giveaways the most popular ones are the ones that only require "Leave a comment." I suppose you could have them leave a comment with a poem...

message 8: by J.D. (new)

Maria wrote: "No ideas. When I've done giveaways the most popular ones are the ones that only require "Leave a comment." I suppose you could have them leave a comment with a poem..."

I always liked the more creative ones. I remember P.C. Cast did one for her series. She asked people to design tattoos for the vampires of her series and she got some AMAZING entries. She picked the best and those people won. The people were phenomenal! I was amazed at it. lol Hence wanting to do a creative contest. Plus, doing "leave a comment" would be difficult. I'd be too biased in choosing the winners. I just don't think it's fair. ;)

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 148 comments I like the poem idea better than designing something. I have absolutely zero artistic talent when it comes to drawing or anything like that. I can work wonders with fabrics, not so much with paint/pen/pencil and paper!

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny How about a 250 word news article detailing an act committed by the parents and witnessed by young Savannah? - Creativity yet short...you could get an idea from the submittals how dramatic/dark your target market "thinks" and or expects of the book.

message 11: by stormhawk (last edited Jul 08, 2011 09:30AM) (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Believe it or not, I think a simple random drawing would be the way to go ... artistic merit is such a hard thing to judge, and a drawing is impartial.

If I had to pick from one of the options, I'd go with the one page paper. I write well, but I can't draw worth a darn.

Or maybe a Queen/King for a Day essay? Explain why you are so pitiful as to need a free copy of the book rather than buying from amazon or B&N.

message 12: by Janet (new)

Janet | 45 comments It's really hard to extrapolate the overall feel of your book from the cover art and synopsis only. If I were going to write a poem or design a graphic about your story, I'd want to read the whole thing first.

How about instead having a creative contest based only on the phrase, "caged in darkness", and have people come up with whatever that means to them personally? Even if it veers off wildly from your novel, it might make the entries more interesting for you to go through.

I would keep it all creative instead of some creative, some reports (or have them be separate categories, & people can enter both -- too hard to compare, and writing a paper is so much easier). Other creative entry options in addition to a poem or artwork could be a short story including the phrase "caged in darkness", a short youtube-style video (book trailer or interpretative), or a song. Wouldn't it be fun if someone wrote you a theme song that you ended up liking? :)

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris Janet wrote: "It's really hard to extrapolate the overall feel of your book from the cover art and synopsis only. If I were going to write a poem or design a graphic about your story, I'd want to read the whole ..."

Great suggestions Janet. I really like the idea of basing the entries on the "caged in darkness" phrase.

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 148 comments Janet, you had some great ideas. I'm looking forward to seeing what Joy does.

message 15: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan1) Janet wrote: "It's really hard to extrapolate the overall feel of your book from the cover art and synopsis only. If I were going to write a poem or design a graphic about your story, I'd want to read the whole ..."

I like the ode of taking the phrase and doing something creative, even writing something, or making something and sending a picture. Well done janet !

message 16: by J.D. (new)

I'm leaning towards doing two separate contests and have 1 winner for each. Hmmm... Any other ideas are appreciated! I'll make my decision on what type of contest, and post the information on July 15th. Which gives us a few more days to brainstorm for unique ideas! :)

message 17: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) I like the graphic design idea...And the essay idea from stormhawk sounds fun, would be cool to read all the different essays. :D

message 18: by J.D. (new)

lol I'm leaning towards one contest targets art somehow and the other targets writing. That way everyone should be good at least at one of them. :)
I just want to make it a fun contest. ;)

message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan1) J.D. wrote: "lol I'm leaning towards one contest targets art somehow and the other targets writing. That way everyone should be good at least at one of them. :)
I just want to make it a fun contest. ;)"

Good idea. Both arty, but both different that people have a comfortable choice.

message 20: by J.D. (new)

If anyone has some unique ideas, let me know! I will post the contest information tomorrow. ;)

message 21: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 148 comments Stephen, unfortunately the words thing is very easy to find on the internet. There's a site where you can enter the words and it'll tell you all the words you can make from them.

message 22: by J.D. (new)

Stephen wrote: "They take all the fun out of everything."

lol They do, don't they

message 23: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 148 comments Joy, have you posted the contest rules yet or am I not looking in the right place?

message 24: by J.D. (new)

Patricia wrote: "Joy, have you posted the contest rules yet or am I not looking in the right place?"

lol I am planning to in a few. I went to see the Harry Potter movie and had some personal drama to deal with. I'll have them up soon and send out an email to let everyone know that they are up. ;)

message 25: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 148 comments I'll be watching! I'm on a roll, I won a book from my Yahoo reading group, then yesterday I won a contest an author had that was creating a caption for a picture so won another book. Maybe I'm having a lucky streak.