A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Anyone Else Upset When...(spoilers for book 2)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jake (new)

Jake | 2 comments I've already warned you up there! So if you don't want to be spoiled for book 2 look no further

*HERE THERE BE SPOILERS*

Was anyone else upset when Renly died? I really grew to like Renly in the short period of time we really saw him in action in the book. I was definitely rooting for him to win the battle against Stannis. I thought overall Renly would be a better ruler than Stannis and obviously he'd be better than Joffery. (although a sack of dog poo would be a better ruler than Joff.)

I also thought Renly would be more accepting of Robb's new title of the King In The North.

What did you guys think about his untimely death?

message 2: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Renly didn't get to me as much... I kind of found him slightly arrogant and while he was the "charming" one, i didnt see him as the king. I had other issues, but we can talk about that when you get to book 3. :)
Happy reading!!

message 3: by Lani (new)

Lani (lanisison) | 6 comments Honestly, I wasn't. I kinda assumed that he would die sooner or later. Granted, it was sooner than I imagined it to be, but... *shrugs* I was more in shock of the events of the Red Wedding than Renly's death.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I didn't like Robert's brothers that much. Though Renly would make a better king because Stannis has no personality what so ever. The Red Wedding did get to me more and I was so shocked and upset with that major event.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Wow. This group amazes me for its total disregard for those that haven't read all of the books yet. Constant spoilers going unmarked and whenever anyone is called on it, they shrug it off. The group must endorse this behavior because they don't ever do anything about it.

What I'm referring to in this instance is this thread. Clearly marked "Spoilers for Book 2", and y'all couldn't get past the first three posts without dropping a spoiler bomb for Book 3.

So, now someone that has read book 2 and wants to come join in will get derailed and spoiled and roont on book 3. Way to go, people.

message 6: by Mach (new)

Mach | 198 comments Does this group even have a moderator?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Chris, it says in the heading spoilers for book 2. So if people read the topic thread, they will know there will be spoilers. Yes, this group has a moderator.

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Chris, it says in the heading spoilers for book 2. So if people read the topic thread, they will know there will be spoilers. Yes, this group has a moderator."

Yes, they will know that there are spoilers for Book 2. They will not, however, be prepared for having Book 3 spoiled for them.

But then, if they've been in this group very long, they probably already have.

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Chris wrote: "But then, if they've been in this group very long, they probably already have."

LOL, for real. I've never been in a group with such little regard for marking spoilers. I'm glad I've read all four books! But I'll tell you what, I'm not opening a damn thread in here after the 12th.. I'll be dammed if I'm going to have Dance spoiled by some inconsiderate person in this group.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Chris wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Chris, it says in the heading spoilers for book 2. So if people read the topic thread, they will know there will be spoilers. Yes, this group has a moderator."

Yes,..."

They don't have to read the thread. It isn't like we are forcing anyone to read threads that have spoilers.

message 11: by Chris (last edited Jul 09, 2011 07:12PM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Dawn wrote: "Chris wrote: "But then, if they've been in this group very long, they probably already have."

LOL, for real. I've never been in a group with such little regard for marking spoilers. I'm glad I've ..."

You're very correct. I might even delete myself from the group before then, just in case I forget myself and start clicking something. We're going to have to be pretty careful anyway.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Well if you feel you have to leave the group just so the spoilers aren't ruined for you, then that is something you will have to do.

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "They don't have to read the thread. It isn't like we are forcing anyone to read threads that have spoilers. .."

I get the feeling you simply don't get it.

This thread is marked as "Spoilers for Book 2". If they come in here before reading Book 2, you're right. Their risk/their oops.

But if they HAVE read book 2, they'd feel safe. After all, it's marked for Book 2. They've read Book 2, so they shouldn't see anything that they don't know about.

Oh, but wait. There's a big larger than God's Mother reference to THE major event in Book 3! Oh nos!!!

Result = Book 3 reading experience tainted.

So. If the average reader can in fact COUNT to 3, they will be warned for the wrong book and are stepping into a mindfield of spoiling shit.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I think you need to get a life if you reading THAT much into it.

message 15: by Chris (last edited Jul 09, 2011 07:19PM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Well if you feel you have to leave the group just so the spoilers aren't ruined for you, then that is something you will have to do."

No, that was tongue-in-cheek. I know better. I know that a large number of the members in this group don't give a rats ass if they spoil the books for anyone. So I'd be careful.

My concern is for the new fans that don't know any better. These are wonderful books that they should experience without someone in here mouthing off and ruining it for them.

But every time (and I mean EVERY time) I bring up the idea of being careful with spoilers, I get dropped upon. Like I'm the fucking idiot.

I find it ironic.

No, if I decide to leave the group it won't be for fear of being spoiled. It will be out of general principle because the members are inconsiderate.

message 16: by Dawn (last edited Jul 09, 2011 07:20PM) (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I think you need to get a life if you reading THAT much into it."

I think you need to get a brain.

It says spoilers for book two. Book two. Not three, two. Two.. Comes after one, before three.

Seriously? It's not that hard. Have a little common courtesy.

message 17: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Chris wrote: "No, if I decide to leave the group it won't be for fear of being spoiled. It will be out of general principle because the members are inconsiderate."

Amen to that.

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Oh, if you need help with counting, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Wd-Q...

message 19: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Jul 09, 2011 07:25PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Well if that's the way you are going to be. I won't comment anymore for fearing of letting something slip. Would that solve all of your problems? Btw, when I was new to the series, there were leaks of spoilers too but I didn't get all bent out of shape about it.

message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) That's perfect! Thanks a ton.

Or, you can just think before you post. Say to yourself "Hey, this thread says spoilers for book 2, and I'm about to post a spoiler for book 3. Maybe I should label it somehow, so I don't ruin the book for someone else!"

But no, that's just too damn difficult.

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Well if that's the way you are going to be. I won't comment anymore for fearing of letting something slip. Would that solve all of your problems?"

You weren't the only one doing it, Jayme. I wasn't trying to start a fight. Sure, I came off aggressive. I won't apologize for that, because it needed to be said. I've only done this with the new readers in mind, out of consideration for their reading experience. As a fan of GRRM, I want everyone to love the stories as much as I do. That won't happen if they're told key events before they read about them.

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) And as for you not getting bent out of shape about spoiler... Congrats. That's you. Some people care about that kind of stuff though, and want to discover the books for themselves, so it's nice to be considerate of that. Just because you don't give a damn doesn't mean others don't.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Actually, all the events of the books blur for me, especially after book 2 so I will just read and linger but not comment...unless I forget.

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Leaks happen, yes. That's unfortunate. But if we can control how much we leak ourselves, that will help a lot.

message 25: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments I apologize if I said anything that will destroy someones enjoyment of the the book. I removed my post even though it doesn't really say what happens, just the name of the event that got to me... for what reason I didn't specify... Either way, I do apologize... I have been reading the books one after the other without any breaks in between, so I tend to mix them all together into one. Again, no excuse and I apologize if that means anything...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments well how about this

SPOILER

I leak spoilers!!!!

There, is that good enough warning?

message 27: by Dawn (last edited Jul 09, 2011 07:41PM) (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) That would be more than adequate, no need to be passive aggressive about it. It takes one second to mark something as a spoiler... What's so hard about doing it?

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Maja wrote: "I apologize if I said anything that will destroy someones enjoyment of the the book. I removed my post even though it doesn't really say what happens, just the name of the event that got to me... f..."

What I was going off about happened before you mentioned it, but thank you. Yes, it was the naming of something in Book 3 rather than a description of it that I was referring to. Lots of hints in that name. (Yes, being purposefully vague here to avoid the same spoiler I was complaining about).

Thanks for your effort, Maja. That's all we really need is to be aware. I can understand the events blurring though, that does happen.

In truth, I wouldn't have come in here as strongly except that I've been ignored and overlooked in other threads when this sort of thing has happened before.

I certainly wasn't singling you out.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I am not being passive aggreesive. I was having a good conversation going. Then it got ruined by semantics. I just think the thread already says it there are spoilers. Why overkill it by adding more spoiler alerts.

message 30: by Dawn (last edited Jul 09, 2011 07:41PM) (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) SPOILERS FOR BOOK TWO. NOT THREE.

Seriously... It's amazing.

message 31: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments No, you were just singling me out when there are others who are doing the same thing.

message 33: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) The thread is marked "spoilers for book 2"

Anyone see the issue here? Hmmmm

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "No, you were just singling me out when there are others who are doing the same thing."

Not at all. I addressed the entire group that was doing it. You're the one that chose to defend your right to ruin the books for people.

message 35: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) See message 21, no one is trying to single anyone out. You're just the only one trying to defend posting spoilers.

message 36: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Jul 09, 2011 07:55PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Yes, it is book 2 not 3, so question, to be fair, why don't you give the third degree to the other people who leak spoilers. I am not the only one who has been doing it. The Red Wedding has already been brought up in post 3 by Lani. Even before, I spoiled anything.

message 37: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) No one's giving you the third degree, you just keep replying and defending the posting of spoilers. If you stopped replying, or acted like you actually cared at any point during this "conversation", it would have been over long ago.

message 38: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Yes, it is book 2 not 3, so question, to be fair, why don't you give the third degree to the other people who leak spoilers. I am not the only one who has been doing it. The Red Wedding has already..."

Yes, you are correct. Message #3 is where it began. Maja chose to fix her reference to it and you chose to come back at me like I'm a Lannister.

Oh, and you just brought it up again. So if someone skipped our entertaining little debate, they'd get it at the end.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Well if I didn't feel like you were jumping down my throat and verbally attacking me, I wouldn't have to treat you like a Lannister, Chris.

message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Attack you? No. If you look back, I was addressing the issue. I did mention that I didn't think you got what I was saying, then attempted to explain it. But that wasn't an attack.

Then you told me I needed to get a life.

I'll note that I didn't attack you for that either.

message 41: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) But a Lannister always pays his debts.

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) I'll need to change my avatar. Robert would HATE to be treated like a Lannister.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I rather get back to discussing the book than waste your and my time arguing.

message 44: by Christy (new)

Christy | 57 comments You rock Chris....just sayin.

message 45: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Fair enough, Jayme. I've pretty much made my point. No sense in going all Gregor Clegane on the horse or anything.

Thanks, Christy! Right back atcha...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments so carrying on with the discussion...we were discussing the Baratheon brothers.

message 47: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Yey, finally the arguing is over! Lets all agree from this point on (at least on this thread) not to use any spoilers for future books and discuss only book 2. And if anyone is to say something that might spoil it, use SPOILER ALERT!

message 48: by Ross (new)

Ross Carter | 2 comments Maja wrote: "Yey, finally the arguing is over! Lets all agree from this point on (at least on this thread) not to use any spoilers for future books and discuss only book 2. And if anyone is to say something tha..."

amen amen amen. three times amen

message 49: by Mach (new)

Mach | 198 comments I am reading A dance with Dreagons now, i got it a couple of days early and guess what, i am going to drop spoilers everywhere!!nah i am just kidding.

message 50: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Machavelli wrote: "I am reading A dance with Dreagons now, i got it a couple of days early and guess what, i am going to drop spoilers everywhere!!nah i am just kidding."

Oh, don't you dare!!! Lol ;) just tell me this.. How is it so far? No spoilers!

« previous 1