ROBUST discussion

Rants: OT & OTT > Goodreads and Facebook

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin (rreed) | 19 comments I don't know where else to ask. Does anyone know why Goodreads is posting stuff on my Facebook page? I didn't tell it to do that. How does it even know what page to post on? I don't need every little thing I do here sent to Facebook.

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments I'm not sure, Robin, but there's an "app" tab on my profile page which says something like 'link to Facebook - let all your friends know what you're reading'. Maybe you've got that checked? I don't know if you can undo that, because I don't want to check mine to see, but it's worth a try.

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments I have seen windows pop up when I'm clicking to go to a site that tell me if I click through I'm giving Facebook (or sometimes it's Twitter) permission to post to my Facebook or Twitter account if I sign in via either of those social sites. I always back out when I see that notice. Maybe you clicked on something and didn't realize you were giving permission?

The window looks, at first glance, like you're just signing in via your account. But if you read the whole window, it informs you you're giving them permission to post.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (rreed) | 19 comments I found a way to disconnect Facebook in the apps. I don't know how it got connected, but these social networks do sneaky things. Thanks everyone.

message 5: by Claudine (last edited Jul 08, 2011 12:44AM) (new)

Claudine | 1110 comments Mod
Robin, when you post a review or post an update on Goodreads, there is an option to disable the feed going through to Facebook. Also check your settings here to disable posting through to any other social networking media.

I just checked to make sure. If you click on your profile, there is a list of things you can change on your profile on the right side of the screen. One of them allows partners of Goodreads (Facebook and other social media sites) to display your update feeds. If you remove the tick, your feeds here should not affect Facebook.

message 6: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
Patricia Sierra wrote: "I have seen windows pop up when I'm clicking to go to a site that tell me if I click through I'm giving Facebook (or sometimes it's Twitter) permission to post to my Facebook or Twitter account if ..."

Those things are valid only for a month, but who knows when they change the term without notice. Anyway, the amount of nuisance that can be in a month... I always refuse, too.