Goodreads Singapore discussion

Singapore Readers?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 114 (114 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker (lechatquilit) | 17 comments Hmmmm... so not too many readers in Singapore or not too many Singaporeans on Goodreads? Speculations welcome.

message 2: by Jess, Founder (new)

Jess (thereadingpublic) | 52 comments Mod
many readers but not enough on GR, I think - pop by any library on weekends and (while not overflowing with borrowers) the sight is quite encouraging.

message 3: by Buns to Babies (new)

Buns to Babies (bunstobabies) | 4 comments Probably not too many people from Singapore in Goodreads. I just stumbled on this site a few days ago. Pretty neat site. :)

message 4: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker (lechatquilit) | 17 comments WhatHaveYouReadToday wrote: "Probably not too many people from Singapore in Goodreads. I just stumbled on this site a few days ago. Pretty neat site. :)"

Hope to see you around GR.

message 5: by Marita (new)

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 7 comments Whitaker wrote: "Hmmmm... so not too many readers in Singapore or not too many Singaporeans on Goodreads? Speculations welcome."

I live in Singapore, but am currently in New Zealand because my husband wants to see the Rugby World Cup. Flying back home Oct 8 and going straight to a Ball. It's going to be a looong day.

message 6: by Eustacia (new)

Eustacia Tan | 6 comments Maybe it's because not much people know about Goodreads? I only found out through some internet sites, and a quick questioning of my friends reveals that no one knew about this site....

message 7: by Damyanti (new)

Damyanti Biswas | 5 comments Not so many Singaporeans on Goodreads, but they do read.

message 8: by Cyp (new)

Cyp (cyp-thatsme) | 13 comments Lol, and when they read, they read like mad. Or at least I do.

Hi, new member.:) The first thing that came out when I first started searching for books is Goodreads. What genres do yall read? I'm having a giveaway for some YA books on my blog...Wanna check it out? One's by Shana Galen, historical romance writer, and another by this YA author. Blog: http://abookaliciousstory.blogspot.com

Just spreading the word.:) But I joined because I saw this club and was like, lol, this is so cute. Don't know why, but it's cool to have a group just for our country folks.:D

message 9: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 2 comments I think plenty of people read in Singapore; it's just that not many of them are using Goodreads! They probably don't see the need to, unless they're really compulsive bookworms haha.

message 10: by Cyp (new)

Cyp (cyp-thatsme) | 13 comments Hmmm... You saying I'm a compulsive bookworm, Felicia? >:| Haha, I think I actually am... But I won't ever admit that to my friends!

message 11: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 2 comments Cyp wrote: "Hmmm... You saying I'm a compulsive bookworm, Felicia? >:| Haha, I think I actually am... But I won't ever admit that to my friends!"

LOL why is that a bad thing!? I'm definitely one myself! ;)

message 12: by Jess, Founder (new)

Why not, Cyp! It's a badge of honor for me haha but this year I've been busy with school and had less time to read.
Your blog looks very established - and you're 16? Sec 4? Congrats on the followers. Unfortunately, I'm not really into urban fantasy...

message 13: by Cyp (new)

Cyp (cyp-thatsme) | 13 comments Hmmm, won't you be offended if someone called you a bookworm?...Batch of honor..? Lol. But well, I'd prefer the term well-read.:D

Thanks, Jess! Yep, I'm 16. Why not? Then which genres are you interested in?

message 14: by Jess, Founder (new)

I'm a year (or maybe two) older than you then.

Haha yeah well-read sounds much nicer.

I think I'd actually get along pretty well with urban fantasy if almost all of the books under UF at the library weren't also paranormal romances. I am sick to the bone of parasols, werewolves and vampires (guess what series I'm talking about). PRs sometimes seem more like generic romances with slightly different character races and random magic thrown in as an afterthought.

I like high fantasy. Strong worldbuilding is another weak spot of mine - that's why I enjoyed The Way of Kings so much. And I'm a huge sucker for pseudoscientific explanations for magic in fantasy (The Name of the Wind), though I haven't found many of those.

Hmm, what else? Nonfiction? About astronomy? 8D you can look under my shelves.

message 15: by Cyp (new)

Cyp (cyp-thatsme) | 13 comments Lol, the only non-fiction I read, is about the Middle East's BC history, which is Ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome and Persia. I love their folklores and myths, legends and true happenings, hierachy, way of life (like how they used the Nile for their daily lives in Egypt). Stuff like that.:D

I LOVE Astronomy too, but I won't read an entire non-fiction book about it. I think it'll just kill any interest I have about it. I think I'm more into Cosmology than Astronomy. Aurora borealis, stars, galaxies, wormholes and their possibilities for time/space travelling, dark energy and all. Haha.

I'm not that into High Fantasy. haha, tho I do read some of them. You say you don't like PNR because of vamps, lycans and the likes, then what about angels? You should try the Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh before you condemn the genre. Cause her books are SO GOOD. She's my favourite adult fiction writer.:)

message 16: by Eustacia (new)

Eustacia Tan | 6 comments Haha, I'm a compulsive reader too, used to get scolded for reading in class :p

message 17: by Jekloneo (new)

Jekloneo | 3 comments (Hi Jess!)
I never got scolded for reading in class, although my parents and brothers used to chide me when I read everywhere else (on the bus, at the dinner table, etc.).

Not all UFs are completely focussed on romance, although most do contain elements of it in some way or another. If you really hate werewolves, vamps, and other "fashionable" creatures try Charles de Lint. But somehow his books feel like they're written for younger teens, even though they're classed under YA in the library and on his website.

Yay for high fantasy :)

message 18: by yamiyoghurt (new)

yamiyoghurt | 5 comments there's finally some activity in this group!

I feel a little too old to be in this conversation, but you people sound like an interesting bunch!

message 19: by Cyp (new)

Cyp (cyp-thatsme) | 13 comments I got caught reading in class TWICE by the same teacher. Sheesh, but rest of the time, nah, I'm good at hiding.:D

No one's ever too old for books, Yami. And in this case, it's talks about books. Which is closely related.

message 20: by Marita (new)

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 7 comments Cean wrote: "Wow I'm glad that there's a group for my own country ppl :D"

Welcome to the group, Cean :)

message 21: by Jess, Founder (new)

Jekloneo wrote: "books feel like they're written for younger teens, even though they're classed under YA in the library and on his website"

woman, I cannot begin to tell you how many books shelved under YA read like they were meant for 10-year-old kids and only got moved up a level because of 'suggestive themes'.

message 22: by Jekloneo (new)

Jekloneo | 3 comments Yeah, I've come across quite a lot of those books. Some aren't even suggestive, actually. Perhaps a bit violent (related to warfare, etc), but the author doesn't even describe the grisly details.

message 23: by Dory (new)

Dory (dorinekur) Cyp wrote: "Lol, and when they read, they read like mad. Or at least I do."

Damn right you are.

message 24: by Jean (new)

Jean (riceandsoup) | 3 comments Hello, I live in Singapore and I'm never without a book in hand or in my bag. I like non-fiction if it's to do with popular culture or world events. I also enjoy historical fiction, contemporary fiction and the odd chick lit book. I'm currently reading The Bin Ladens by Steve Coll.

message 25: by Wan Ni (new)

Wan Ni (lovelyloey) | 2 comments Hi all! Great to see some activities here.
I'm a public librarian, so always interested to know what people read!
Personally I read across fiction genres - anything but romance.
I also like creative non-fiction (memoirs), and especially the stunt non-fiction books where authors attempt Something for one year.

message 26: by Reverse Vampire (last edited Jul 30, 2012 08:38AM) (new)

Reverse Vampire (vampirereversal) | 2 comments Hello! New here, heard about Goodread from another creative writing tips site. Glad to see Singaporeans with similar interests here. (Also it's hard for Singaporeans to meet together and start a book club or something, have to rely the web from now on. Went to a creative writing meeting once at YMCA, didn't have much interest to visit again.)

I'm currently a tertiary student, I like to read and write in my spare time amongst other things. Preferred genres are fantasy, supernatural, mystery and comedy. Tends not to write romance, since I'm not very experienced in that area. And I don't like reading or writing sappy (or forced) love scenes. Would prefer the plot and world-building over the romance.

Currently planning a series that has to do with fairy tale (inspired) characters living in the near future going against villains from various (fairy tale) stories. Can't reveal much at this point, but if anyone is interested I'll probably share more info.

message 27: by Gerald (new)

Gerald (bokky) | 1 comments Hi all! I live in Singapore, read mainly self-help books and would like to make more friends. Add me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GeraldBok
Twitter: https://twitter.com/geraldbok

message 28: by Marita (new)

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 7 comments Gerald wrote: "Hi all! I live in Singapore, read mainly self-help books and would like to make more friends. Add me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GeraldBok
Twitter: htt..."

Hi, Gerald. I've added you on Facebook and Twitter.

message 29: by Sampatkar (new)

Sampatkar | 1 comments Hello All, good to meet other avid readers in Singapore. Agree that there are enough readers just that not many know about goodreads.

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 19, 2012 04:59AM) (new)

Hello...
I dislike being self-promotional, but...
On Facebook you can find something called Book Merah. http://www.facebook.com/BookMerah?ref...
There you will find, in the Book Merah Products album, the link to something called Contact With Shadow. There is another book on that page called Furikake. Bus Stopping, On Seng Poh Road and Tiong Bahru Blue are other books on that page. All of these titles are about Singapore.
I have yet to do any promotion, except for an occasional post like this.
Hopefully in the future, there will be other ways for me to publicize, but for now I can only thank you for letting me post here.
Onward,
Stephen Black
PS I am now completing a book about Tiong Bahru and there is a Facebook page for that.
Book Merah is on twitter...

message 31: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Hiii I'm Jasmine and I'm 15...I love reading and my fav.genres are paranormal and romances... Oh i love dystopian fiction as well :)

message 32: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Black | 6 comments Furikake was written in Clementi.
Cyril Wong is a Singaporean poet.
I wrote Obama Search Words in Bukit Merah and Clementi.
These are free Kindle downloads NOW til Oct. 16

http://www.scribd.com/doc/104923618/B...

message 33: by Damyanti (new)

Damyanti Biswas | 5 comments Sampatkar wrote: "Hello All, good to meet other avid readers in Singapore. Agree that there are enough readers just that not many know about goodreads."

Lots of readers in Singapore-- only few love fiction though, or at least that has been my experience. Good to see this thread come alive again!

message 34: by Sudhi (new)

Sudhi (sudhireads) | 4 comments Very True... many ppl can be seen reading books in mrt..bus..around the Singapore actually.. but not many are aware of GR but seems to be not interested and many doesnt even know about GR.. but m glade I founf u all :-)

message 35: by Marita (last edited Oct 08, 2012 05:43PM) (new)

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 7 comments I'll be moving next year in January to live in New Zealand. I've been in Singapore for three years now and it's been quite an experience, allowing me to do lots of things that I normally couldn't have. Hope I can still partake in this group next year. Thanks :)

message 36: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Chan | 3 comments I stumbled upon GR only recently by chance when I ran out of good books to read. I'm born and bred in Singapore! Have been a bookworm since young.

I am quite a compulsive bookworm and I have the innate need to own a copy of every book I read. Thus, I'm a loyal member of Kinokuniya to get my monthly book fix ;)

I am currently reading 2 books (a paperback and an e-book)

paperback: A Dog's Purpose - W.Bruce Cameron
e-book: Slammed - Colleen Hoover

Don't ask me how and why I am reading 2 books simultaneously.

Cheers!

message 37: by Marita (new)

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 7 comments Eileen wrote: "I stumbled upon GR only recently by chance when I ran out of good books to read. I'm born and bred in Singapore! Have been a bookworm since young.

I am quite a compulsive bookworm and I have the ..."

I love Kinokuniya.

message 38: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Chan | 3 comments Marita wrote: "Eileen wrote: "I stumbled upon GR only recently by chance when I ran out of good books to read. I'm born and bred in Singapore! Have been a bookworm since young.

I am quite a compulsive bookworm ..."

Kinokuniya is probably the only decent bookstore left in Singapore. After borders closed down :(

message 39: by Damyanti (last edited Oct 12, 2012 02:21AM) (new)

Damyanti Biswas | 5 comments Eileen wrote: "I stumbled upon GR only recently by chance when I ran out of good books to read. I'm born and bred in Singapore! Have been a bookworm since young.

I am quite a compulsive bookworm and I have the ..."

I find the Singapore National Library very well stocked -- so well-stocked, in fact, that I haven't had to buy a book in a year.

I'm reading 4 books at the moment (which I always do, one by the bedside, one in my handbag, one in my kitchen, and the other in my toilet lol), so two books at the same time is not strange at all.

I find balancing light and heavy reading keeps me going much better.

message 40: by Motheaten (new)

Motheaten | 2 comments D. wrote: " I find the Singapore National Library very well stocked..."

I'm envious of your access to nlb. Agree that reading a variety of books at once keeps the reading momentum going.

message 41: by Chris (new)

Chris Lim (clim) | 2 comments I know for a fact Singaporeans read because eight times out of ten I try to borrow a book from NLB, I am always put on the wait list (especially the newer ones)!

I was born and raised in Singapore too and I have been reading for as long as I can remember.

Agree that all the good bookstores are gone. Page One, Borders... Only Kinos and Prologue left. There is Books Actually at Yong Siak but its not as well stocked.

message 42: by Michael (new)

Michael (mtw1tter) | 61 comments Mod
For all the singaporean readers the National library advocates recommendation of new titles on their website and you will find gems in the massive e-catalogue, even books which do not have physical copies so don't forget to check it out. The various public libraries are on Facebook and a core of librarians are on twitter at @publiclibrarysg so you have no excuse not to get social with them!I have always had most of my recommendation picked up and suffer the effects of having to look out for them as they all get snatched up when they are put on the library shelves! But it is all good. That means more people are reading. You can also have the library RSS all their new arrivals into your newsfeed if you haven't the time to browse.

message 43: by Michael (new)

By the way, Eileen, if you like A Dog's Purpose, you might enjoy The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

message 44: by Damyanti (new)

Damyanti Biswas | 5 comments Read Art of Racing in the Rain -- it was a great one-time read!

message 45: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Chan | 3 comments Michael wrote: "By the way, Eileen, if you like A Dog's Purpose, you might enjoy The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein."

hey thanks for the recommendation! I'll put that on my to-read list for sure.

I managed to find the ideal paperback for Jodi Picoult's "Lone Wolf" last weekend after a few month's wait. (I didn't like the larger version that was first published)

So I've currently put a stop on "A Dog's Purpose" to read "Lone Wolf" first :D

✿.Ⓐⓟⓞⓞⓡⓥⓐ.✿ (apoorvak) | 4 comments I actually live in Colorado currently, but I was born in Singapore. I'm fourteen, and moved here five years ago. I definitely have to read "A Singapore Love Story", and it sounds really interesting. :)

✿.Ⓐⓟⓞⓞⓡⓥⓐ.✿ (apoorvak) | 4 comments Eileen wrote: "Michael wrote: "By the way, Eileen, if you like A Dog's Purpose, you might enjoy The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein."

hey thanks for the recommendation! I'll put that on my to-read list ..."

Lone Wolf is amazing. I bought it when it came out, and it is so good. Jodi Picoult is actually an idol of mine, and has given me a lot of writing advice. Definitely read Lone Wolf first, it's worth the read!

message 48: by Michael (new)

Just started to read The Mortal Instruments but at book 4 instead of Book 1. OMG!

message 49: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (lingzz) | 9 comments Hello all, I stumbled upon this group while looking for book recommendations on Goodreads. I do try to vary my genre of reading, but psychology and crime tend to b a staple.

I've just started on Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides after a recommendation by another reader. :)

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura Hi All,

Just to let you know that I'm leaving this group as I'm now leaving Singapore! Moving to Australia- very exciting- thank you for having me!

« previous 1 3