Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1) Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children discussion

On a scale of 1 to 10 how creepy is this book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Molly (last edited Jul 08, 2011 01:42PM) (new)

Molly I really want to read this book. The only problem is I'm a sissy sissy pansy girl. I'm so pathetic the movie Jason X (the only that takes place in space) scared me and gave me nightmares. Before I read this book I want to know how many sleepless nights I can expect to face. So on a scale of one to ten how creepy/scary is this book? This includes the photos too, not just the story.

Please feel free to spoil things for me. I don't mind spoilers, they only tell me what to prepare for.

Carla The pictures might be a little disturbing, the story not what I would call creepy or scary. I would think an episode of Supernatural more creepy/scary in regards to the storyline. If you ever saw old photos, like in that one movie with Nicole Kidman - vintage, strange, at times disturbing.. but not scary,scary. I hope that helps.

Adriene I didn't find the story creepy at all really. The pictures are a little frightening, but nothing nightmare inducing. I would say this would be a PG-13 rating if it were made into a film.

So maybe a 2 for story and 4 for the pictures.

Brigid Chapin The story is very creepy up until about 100 pages in. If you get creeped out easily and can read very fast, I recommend finishing this book in one sitting. After the 100 pages mark it because nothing more than an adventure story and is not creepy at all. I was actually slightly disappointed!

The photos are much creepier than the story, and I admit that as I was going to bed the first night I had them swimming before my eyes and it was rather difficult to relax.

Now, because I loved this book and I want to defend it- it was still so good that I managed to finish it in only two days, and I'm usually one of those who takes three or four, for a 300-page book. My sister also zipped right through this one. It's a VERY good book, and if you just get far enough before going to bed, I definitely recommend giving it a try.

message 5: by Molly (new)

Molly I'm not very worried about the pictures. If they get to be too much I can always ask my brother to tape pictures of kittens and puppies over them. I'm hoping I won't have to resort to that though since the pictures are what drew me to the book in the first place.

One of my coworkers brought the book to work with her, and she showed me a couple of the pictures. The first one, a picture of a man without eyes holding a skull, wasn't so bad, but the second one was disturbing. The picture was of a creepy face tattooed on the back of someone's head, and underneath the picture was a caption that said something along the lines of Oliver having a mouth in the back of his head that he would use to eat.

The picture freaked me out, but the caption made me want to know more. In the end my curiosity beat out my cowardliness and I ordered the book from the local book store. It should be arriving soon. I'm excited and terrified. I feel like I'm waiting to ride a roller coaster.

By the way, are the pictures real photographs or were they made in photoshop by a very talented artist?

Carla According to the notes, they are in fact real vintage photos found at flea markets, vintage shops, yard sales, and the like... unless noted.

message 7: by Molly (new)

Molly Carla wrote: "According to the notes, they are in fact real vintage photos found at flea markets, vintage shops, yard sales, and the like... unless noted."

That makes those pictures a million times creepier.

Allison I'm a big baby, too. In fact, I told my husband we would probably be sleeping with the lights on when I read it. BUT it actually wasn't nearly as creepy as the title or cover led me to believe. I say read it.

message 9: by Deb (new)

Deb I loved the book. The photos were awesum. Now I must riffle thru old fotos at flea markets...something I have never been interested in before. Who knew?

Kirsty I didn't find it creepy at all, more interesting and different than anything else.

It actually reminded me of a vintage version of X-men. A group of unusual teens being mentored by an unusual adult, who all live together in one big house.

Did anyone else think this?

Carla Fizzypops wrote: "I didn't find it creepy at all, more interesting and different than anything else.

It actually reminded me of a vintage version of X-men. A group of unusual teens being mentored by an unusual ..."

I think you are given it too much credit to compare to x-men.
I found the photos to be the main reason for the book and the main reason for my purchase, if not for them the story just lacked and the writing.

Nicole Caliro Thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd say a 7 on the creepy scale. Definately gave me one nightmare.

Maggie Honestly, I'm a huge baby (Signs freaks me out) and I had heard that this was creepy, so I read it only during the day and tried to be really careful and in the end, it wasn't creepy at all. I might give it a 2.
There is one part of the book where they are fighting a creature, and I'll admit that it's description doesn't make me want to cozy up next to it, and it was suspenseful, the creature chasing them, but really those were the only things that came even close to making it "creepy".

message 14: by Maritza (new) - added it

Maritza Did you read the book yet? How did you like it? I enjoyed this book. A little creepy as far as the "monsters". There was so much action in the second half that it had me turning pages and I couldnt put it down. I enjoyed the pictures and was fascinated to find out they were actual photos found in flea markets and garage sales. Some of the pictures were kind of creepy but since the story wasnt really a ghost story the pics didnt creep me out. I couldnt wait to get to the next picture and the next.

Lindsay Nichols I didn't find it all that creepy. Mostly I wanted to know how the author chose his pictures - to match what he was writing about or to inspire what he should write about.

The pictures were the best part of the experience for me. And I did like the premise of the whole thing. Enough to want another book about peculiar children and their guardians....

Alyssa This book was SO good! I agree with those that said it was a bit creepy for the first 100 pages or so. Not creepy like "I have to sleep with the lights on" but more like suspenseful where you just want to keep going! I highly recommend it, the pictures add to the already awesome plot and tone of the narrator. If you're scared, read it during the day..it's so worth it.

message 17: by Molly (new)

Molly Maritza wrote: "Did you read the book yet? How did you like it? I enjoyed this book. A little creepy as far as the "monsters". There was so much action in the second half that it had me turning pages and I coul..."

I haven't been able to read the book. The store that took the order for me, Boarders, closed. They apologized for not being able to get the book for me and gave me a full refund. I'm hitting up amazon as soon as I get paid next friday though. So hopefully, I'll have this book sometime within the next two weeks.

message 18: by Aireene (last edited Aug 09, 2011 09:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aireene it's not creepy..it's just sort of unique..though the book cover is sort of creepy,yeah..i'll give it a 4 out of 5..!:)

message 19: by Anik (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anik Only the begining was kinda scary but the rest was AMAZING.

Linda Sirois Was not creeped out or scared at all by this book, and I just finished it today. I am a big baby too when it comes to scary things! I really got into this book at the beginning and the last few pages.

Normandy The cover of this book definitely got my attention. I am close to the end. Jacob is finding out he may be peculiar. Not all of the pictures are creepy. The ones that are creepy are disturbing. I have enjoyed this book very much. I have found the back and forth in the loop between past and present very intriguing. The pictures add to the mystery. I thought this would be scarier and it wasn't so much that as just plain creepy.
is creepy

Holly It is a little creepy, but the story in its entirety is so intriguing I think you could manage to power through.

I know the author said that the photos were actual found pictures and unaltered for the book, but I wonder if that's true. Some of them are VERY odd...

message 23: by percabeth (new)

percabeth What is this book about? i started reading it but when does it actually get exciting?

Heather Daniels This book was not creepy at all. I just read it, kinda boring, but original. The photos were interesting. I gave it 3 stars.

Susan Original. Weird. But not creepy. 1 star for creepy story, 3 stars for creepy photos.

message 26: by Molly (new)

Molly Holly wrote: "It is a little creepy, but the story in its entirety is so intriguing I think you could manage to power through.

I know the author said that the photos were actual found pictures and unaltered ..."

Yeah. The photos looked very eerie while I was skinning the book to look at them. I'd actually like to know how they managed to pull some of them off considering how old they probably are. It's hard to imagine some of the being manageable without photoshop.

Melinda pictures made this look creepy - book not scary or creepy. First half good - second half, disappointment,

message 28: by TA (new) - rated it 5 stars

TA Flatland I hope that there will more of a conclusion in a second book.

message 29: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I was disappointed that it was not at all creepy. It was not in the least bit creepy.

Kendra It's interesting that so many found this book to be creepy. I never thought of it that way at all.

Lara Ruark i thought it would creep me out too! but i thought the idea was so out there that it deserved a look. i really enjoyed the book, and because the pictures became characters instead of just creepy pictures, i didn't find it creepy at all....way out there, sure but not creepy after all.

but yeah, i didn't know if i could handle creepy....i never made it through x files!!!

message 32: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan I don't think this book was creepy in the least; the photos were definitely strange but considering they were of peculiar children, where's the surprise? I thought it was a very interesting premise and look forward to his next book.

Allison White LOVED this book!! Not creepy at all, the word to use is definitely peculiar :) The photos are odd and wonderful. The story is engaging and wonderful. Do not be afraid to read this book!

Trina-Marie It's not creepy at all. I was hoping it was going to be creepy, so sadly, I was disappointed.

Marykay I was sadly dissapointed in the book. Really wish it would have been more something! If not creeepier at least a better story line and ending.

Lindsay Nichols I wanted a more satisfying ending as well. Maybe it was left that way for possible sequels?

Trina-Marie I agree. I did not like the ending at all! But, I'm sure that it was meant to be a set up for the coming sequels.

message 38: by Ally (new) - added it

Ally On a scale of 1 to 10 this book was probably about a 1. I was highly disappointed and didn't think it was scary at all!

message 39: by Ally (new) - added it

Ally Also, he is writing a sequel. I think I read in the afterword that he is already compiling pictures for the next book.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, 6. It didn't give me scary dreams or anything.

message 41: by Molly (new)

Molly Lara wrote: "i thought it would creep me out too! but i thought the idea was so out there that it deserved a look. i really enjoyed the book, and because the pictures became characters instead of just creepy pi..."

I never made it through the x-files either. I'm still picked on for it.

I started the book btw. It's really good so far. The pictures are very creepy, but other than that it's not so bad. The book itself is very nice and well put together. I hope they keep the same format and work level in the second book.

Natalie 1. i absolutely loved the book. couldn't put it down

Martha I was sorry when I went to bed part-way through this one... didn't sleep well. But the rest of the book was great and I didn't put it down. The time travel thing was done well, I think. (And I'm also grateful the parents tried to be in the picture - that's my soap box topic.)

Courtney I'd say it wasn't really all that creepy. The pictures, yes were a bit creepy at times but over all this was a good book. And I'm glad he's coming out with a second book about the peculiar people, it will be intresting to read. :)

Kristie I didn't think it was creepy at all. The pictures were a little strange, but overall it had a Peter Pan and the lost boys kinda feel to it. Looking forward to the second book!

Genesis Rogers-Lewis I so loved it. Not creepy but a great story,

Diane Some book experts categorize this book as a Young Adult book. I liked it and found it no less creepy than reading books about vampires (a popular genre these days). I found it more fantastical than creepy.

Koula I didn't feel that it was creepy. It fits right in with the other paranormal fiction urban legend group.

theghostwriter the beginning was spooky but after that it was more a mystery than anything else. it was a fantastic book, LOVED the imagery and the whole gothic feel of the book. insanely original and imaginative. cannot wait for more from this author.

Jennifer Farrar Molly wrote: "I really want to read this book. The only problem is I'm a sissy sissy pansy girl. I'm so pathetic the movie Jason X (the only that takes place in space) scared me and gave me nightmares. Before I ..."

NOT CREEPY AT ALL

« previous 1 3