Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2012 Challenge Archive > Drinks/Cocktail Challenge suggestions/FAQs/discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 241 (241 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jul 14, 2011 07:46PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19873 comments This is the suggestions thread for the Drinks/Cocktail challenge. Please ask any questions or make suggestions relating to this topic in this thread.

Challenge length: 15 July 2011 - 30 June 2012

Here are the levels of intoxication and the cocktail categories again:

This challenge is open for 11 months and 16 days. It will start on 15 July 2011 and continue through until 30 June 2012.

Aim to complete one of the following levels of intoxication by reading the corresponding number of books that can be matched to any of the below-listed categories.
Stone-cold sober - 1 book
Buzzed - 5 books
Tipsy - 10 books
Drunk - 15 books
Hammered: Beer goggles no longer optional - 20 books
Schwasted - 25 books
Passed out in the taxi line - 30 books
Stomach pumped – 50 books or more
These book numbers reflect the total number of books read to hit the intoxication level. This total includes bonus books.

A book selected by location:
Wine of choice ~ a book that is set on a vineyard or in a recognised wine region (eg Napa Valley, Champagne France, Mosel Germany etc). Please note the wine region on your selection. To help, here is a wiki link: www.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wine-p...
Mojito ~ a book set in Latin America or Cuba, or has a Latino character.
Tennessee Cowboy ~ a book set in one of the southern states of USA, or with a cowboy as main character.
Tequila Sunrise ~ a book that takes place in Mexico or south-west USA (west Texas to San Diego) or has the sun on the cover
Rob Roy ~ a book set in Scotland, has a Scottish character, or the main character is an outlaw/rebel
Manhattan ~ a book set in New York or shows a man with a hat on the cover.
Long Island Ice Tea ~ a book set in (on?) Long Island, or a ‘long’ book (over 450 pages)
Bay Breeze ~ a book set in San Francisco or San Diego, or a book where the characters sail or travel on boats/ships (including space ships).
Rusty Nail - a book that takes place in the 'Rust Belt' (a region of the US stretching from Milwalkee to Syracuse, refer: www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_Belt), has an H/h who is a builder/mechanic or has the colours of autumn on the cover
Rum Runner - a book that takes place in the Caribbean, deals with smuggling or import-export or has a H/h that is a fitness fanatic.
Jägerbomb - a book that takes place in Germany, has something to do with a bomb (threat, war etc), or has an explosion (eg starburst) or bomb on the cover, or has a character who is described as or like a 'bombshell'. (As a point of interest, this drink is banned in some Australian regions as it encourages binge drinking and irresponsible behaviour! Huh – who would have guessed! *sarcasm*)
White Russian – a book set in Eastern Europe or has a predominantly white cover
Mint Julep – a book set in Kentucky or Virginia, or has a mint-green cover.

A book by theme:
Bloody Mary ~ suspense/horror, kick-ass heroine.
Virgin Bloody Mary (for the teetotalers) ~ H/h is a virgin or book has a red cover
Cosmo (ala Sex in the City) ~ Chick lit, book with friends as main characters.
Martini (shaken not stirred) ~ Spy, Special Ops, Undercover agent, romantic suspense (you get the idea…) or a book set in England
Sex on the Beach ~ Erotica or a book set on a beach or beach on the cover
Salty Dog ~ H/h is a pirate, the book is set on ship/boat or H/h has a dog companion
7&7 ~ 7 letters in authors name (1st or last), 7 words in title, 7th in series, or has the number 7 in the title.
Lemon Drop ~ a book with an acerbic/sarcastic H/h or with a yellow cover
Snakebite ~ a vampire book, a book that has a snake in it, or has a character that is sneaky
Kamikaze ~ a book with a ‘daredevil’ type character or a character set at self destruct, or a book set in Japan.
Zombie ~ a zombie book or a book where a character is/has been in a coma or is/was knocked unconscious.
Flaming Lamborghini ~ a book with the words ‘flame’, ‘burn’, ‘smoke’ or ‘fire’ in the title or a book with a character who is a dragon, demon or a professional driver.

Bonus themes:
You may create your own cocktails and match this to your chosen book.

Level Selection rules:
*You must select your level before you start the challenge
*Once you select your level, you cannot move up or down without penalty. You have until 15 July to make sure you are happy with your level selection.
*The penalty - You may apply to me to finish your bar session early if you have bitten off more than you can chew (eg. you have been aiming for stomach pumped but you can't even get tipsy - face it: you aren't as 'p*ss-fit' as you thought!). This session would show in the summary thread as 'incomplete'. But, if you wanted to, you could then start a new session as the team-driver, aiming for 'Stone-cold sober'.
*Some of you may decide to have a few big nights out, so that once you have achieved your desired level of intoxication you can go home and return the next night with a new alcoholic target. The new target must be new books but may involve your preferred drinks.
*As clarification - just because you have been 'tipsy' and 'drunk', that will not qualify you to be shown as 'passed out'.

Note: If you do apply to me to go home early, I want a really good excuse - eg the school yard bully from 30 years ago has just shown up and you are scared to drink in his/her presence...

If you have forgotten your question once you click into here, go back and have a chaser - it's sure to prompt your memory...

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Sep 27, 2011 04:09PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19873 comments Questions? Answered!
1. If I mix-up my own cocktail, does that count toward my total goal, or must I still drink 2 of each cocktail before mixing my own?
You can add bonus drinks at any time, but you can't start repeating drinks until you have read one of each of the 25 categories. So if you were going to get your stomach pumped you could have one book for all 25 categories, 5 bonus drinks of your own concoction, and repeat 20 of the standard drinks again... Adding to a total of 50 drinks.

2. Do I really have to drink one of each before moving on to my second drink? For example, I am currently reading that series that could qualify as a Wine of Choice, but I want to read them back to back.
If you intend to drink more than 25 drinks, then you can apply to me (Cocktail Captain) to drink read two drinks from one category as chasers. In this circumstance I would like to see that you have nearly all your category books selected...

3. "Stomach Pumped": After completing the 50 requisite books can we drink read as we please (2 or more books in the same category) or do we have to stick to the rules (25 + bonus categories finished before starting over) until the "bitter" end?."
Within this session, after you have achieved your goal of going to hospital, you can continue drinking your preferred poisons, but you will still be 'stomach pumped' ;) This rule will apply ONLY to the stomach pumpers!

Alternatively, you could select to go on another bar-crawl (at the moment, I only have one drinking binge posted in message 2 of the challenge) as I think there will be a few members who want to undertake multiple drinking seesions.

4. Do we have to read in order going down the list or can I mix up the first 25 as I go?
You can read the books in any order so long as you complete one from each category before you start on your next round.

We can bend this rule slightly, if you apply to me (Capn Cocktail) to read a chaser - I'll just want to see that most of your categories have their allocated books :)

5. For the "zombies" can we use a book where a character is actually dead, but can project his "living" image to people and actually touch them (not exactly a zombie, but not really a ghost either)?
Yes, given the alternative option is someone in a coma or unconcious.

6. Do graphic novels/Manga count?
I'll allow one manga/graphic novel per list (for those drinking less than 25 drinks) or one for each 25 books read...

7. Can Harlequin Blaze count at erotica?
According to Wikipedia, yes!

And REMEMBER: In this challenge those ordinary 1 and 2 STAR reads that feel like a waste of time? They fit in here beautifully - make them one of your bonus drinks! Here are your options again:
* Hurlmaker
* FYU (F*ck You Up)
* Swampwater
* Afterbirth or
* Vulcan Mind Grip.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments anybody got any good zombie recs?

message 4: by Mojca (last edited Jul 09, 2011 06:18AM) (new)

Mojca | 1414 comments Dee wrote: "anybody got any good zombie recs?"

I only have one zombie book chosen for now - My Zombie Valentine. Don't know whether it's any good, but if you're also doing the "Name Challenge" this book has a Scarlett and a Mason, or so I've heard.

Also, Tropical Getaway, besides being set in the Caribbean, also has a comatose main character (view spoiler).

message 5: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11053 comments You Are So Undead to Me is a zombie YA- looks Buffy-like. I have it but haven't read it yet.

message 6: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11053 comments Also, Hollowland is only 99 cents on Amazon right now, looks like a good YA zombie novel.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 10, 2011 12:57PM) (new)

Once Bitten Twice Dead (Guardians of the Dark, #2) by Bianca D'Arc is a zombie book by Bianca D'Arc and part of a series which I really enjoy

message 8: by Lacy (last edited Jul 09, 2011 11:22AM) (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 1865 comments The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2) by Carrie Ryan The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3) by Carrie Ryan
This is a YA trilogy about zombies. My friend really enjoyed it. I have read the first one and the others are on my immediate to read list!

message 9: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 2081 comments I'm reading the zombie trillogy. Hope they're good. Feed (Newsflesh, #1) by Mira Grant Deadline (Newsflesh, #2) by Mira Grant Blackout (Newsflesh, #3) by Mira Grant

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments thanks guys!! I did find another one that i'm going to check out as well Married with Zombies (Living with the Dead, #1) by Jesse Petersen

message 11: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments A good zombie book is World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. It's actually a serious book about an epidemic (that happens to be about zombies), how it started, etc. It's told from the points of view of dozens of different people (most of them never show up again).

I really liked it.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 808 comments Generation Dead (Generation Dead, #1) by Daniel Waters Kiss of Life (Generation Dead, #2) by Daniel Waters Passing Strange (Generation Dead, #3) by Daniel Waters a YA zombie series

message 13: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19873 comments Wow - I didn't know there were so many zombie books out there! I was planning on going for the knocked unconscious angle... That happens frequently enough - in my current book (which obviously I can't use) Jacob characters are being knocked out every 50 pages or so :)

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments World War Z is actually really good. I highly recommend it. Married with Zombies is decent but not great. Just throwing it out there.

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 26 comments Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) by Jonathan Maberry was awesome!

The First Days (As The World Dies A Zombie Trilogy, #1) by Rhiannon Frater is the first of a trilogy. Fabulously gory!!

message 16: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1414 comments Question: For the "zombies" can we use a book where a character is actually dead, but can project his "living" image to people and actually touch them (not exactly a zombie, but not really a ghost either)?

message 17: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1414 comments Another question...Since the "Stomach Pumped" level has 50 books or more, and the rules say we have to finish the 25 + bonus categories before starting again, after completing 50 requisite books can we drink read as we please (2 or more books in the same category) or do we have to stick to the rules (25 + bonus categories finished before starting over) until the "bitter" end?

message 18: by KimKirt (last edited Jul 10, 2011 06:03AM) (new)

KimKirt | 1638 comments Okay, since I just jumped on the bandwagon as stomach pumped, do we have to read in order going down the list or can I mix up the first 25 as I go? Meaning can I drink a Rum Runner as my first out of the 25 or do I have to start with Wine of Choice?

BTW, I laughed out loud at the Lemon Drop. I have some rather wild memories of a night drinking Lemon Drops.

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 195 comments Joss Ware's Beyond the Night is the first book in a post-apocalyptic series that features zombie-like creatures AND there are several people (including the hero) who were "knocked out" during the apocalyptic part and are now trying to adjust to the new world.

message 20: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jul 10, 2011 03:27PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19873 comments Mojca wrote: "Another question...Since the "Stomach Pumped" level has 50 books or more, and the rules say we have to finish the 25 + bonus categories before starting again, after completing 50 requisite books ca..."

Once you have completed your 50 books, I am happy for you to just keep reading under the allocated categories if you want to stick to the one session - but you will still be 'stomach pumped'. Within this session, after you have achieved your goal of going to hospital, you can continue drinking your preferred poisons ;) This rule will apply ONLY to the stomach pumpers!

Alternatively, you could select to go on another bar-crawl (at the moment, I only have one posted in message 2 of the challenge), but I think there will be a few members who want to undertake multiple drinking seesions (both Fran, who is only going for tipsy iniitally, and me, hammmered, are contemplating a second bar-crawl).

message 21: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19873 comments Mojca wrote: "Question: For the "zombies" can we use a book where a character is actually dead, but can project his "living" image to people and actually touch them (not exactly a zombie, but not really a ghost ..."

I'll accept that Mojca, given the alternative option is someone in a coma or unconcious...

message 22: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19873 comments KimKirt wrote: "Okay, since I just jumped on the bandwagon as stomach pumped, do we have to read in order going down the list or can I mix up the first 25 as I go? Meaning can I drink a Rum Runner as my first out ..."

You can read the books in any order so long as you complete one from each category before you start on your next round.

We can bend this rule slightly, if you apply to me (Capn Cocktail) to read a chaser - I'll just want to see that most of your categories have their allocated books :)

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda D. (tinyminx) | 634 comments For the wine of your choice category, would it be acceptable to use a book where the heroine runs a wine shop?

message 24: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19873 comments Amanda wrote: "For the wine of your choice category, would it be acceptable to use a book where the heroine runs a wine shop?"

Yup - I think that satisfies the blood alcohol content :)

message 25: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Thanks Christina and Amanda for your suggestions! I've been looking for those two categories and your ideas really fit the bill.

message 26: by D.G. (last edited Jul 11, 2011 01:55PM) (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Now, Jane a question...I'm going for Hammered...can I do 18 categories plus 2 bonus? Or do the bonus have to be over the number of books for the category?

message 27: by Penney (last edited Jul 11, 2011 08:28PM) (new)

Penney (pschoener) | 3553 comments Would you consider any of these to have an explosion/starburst on the cover for Jagerbomb...

Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini Singh City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments #4) by Cassandra Clare Trial by Fire (Firefighters of Station Five, #1) by Jo Davis The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld, #6) by Gena Showalter Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2) by Jayne Castle Divine Evil by Nora Roberts

I'm reaching here, I know.

message 28: by Penney (new)

Penney (pschoener) | 3553 comments Ok, one more question, in Blaze of Memory (for those who have read it) Katya has amnesia, was she ever unconscious?

Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini Singh

message 29: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jul 12, 2011 02:09AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19873 comments D.G. ~Vile Temptress~ wrote: "Now, Jane a question...I'm going for Hammered...can I do 18 categories plus 2 bonus? Or do the bonus have to be over the number of books for the category?"

20 books in total qualifies for Hammered :) So 18 categories plus two drinks of your own choice is totally 'on the money'.

message 30: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19873 comments Penney wrote: "Ok, one more question, in Blaze of Memory (for those who have read it) Katya has amnesia, was she ever unconscious?

Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini Singh"

Yes - I'm pretty sure they are waiting for her to wake up in the first couple of chapters...

message 31: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19873 comments Penney wrote: "Would you consider any of these to have an explosion/starburst on the cover for Jagerbomb...

Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini SinghCity of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments #4) by Cassandra Clare[bookcover:Trial by Fire|35..."

Yes to Blaze of Memory 'cos Dev is running away from an explosion. The others all just look like flames - not explosions. I can't really see the Nora Roberts book though - that could be if you could tell me what it is!! :)

message 32: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19873 comments Penney wrote: "Would you consider any of these to have an explosion/starburst on the cover for Jagerbomb...

Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini SinghCity of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments #4) by Cassandra Clare..."

How about Sweet Starfire by Jayne Ann Krentz ?

message 33: by Penney (new)

Penney (pschoener) | 3553 comments Thanks Jane for your help. I'm trying to use this challenge to clear out my TBR, It's inching closer and closer to 200 books. LOL, I know that's just a drop in the bucket for some people, but for me that's a bit too much. It makes it all the more challenging that way too:-)

I'll use Blaze of Memory for the Zombie category since that's my hardest to fill. I have no idea either what's on the NR book, it just looked promising. I'll use The Legend of Michael instead. It has an actual starburst on the cover and I already have it on my kindle.
The Legend of Michael (Zodius, #1) by Lisa Renee Jones

message 34: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Penney wrote: "Ok, one more question, in Blaze of Memory (for those who have read it) Katya has amnesia, was she ever unconscious?

Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini Singh"

Yikes, I don't remember! (LOL!) But I think she was...

message 35: by D.G. (last edited Jul 12, 2011 05:56AM) (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "20 books in total qualifies for Hammered :) So 18 categories plus two drinks of your own choice is totally 'on the money'. "

Awesome, Jane!

I'm using Irish Coffee (set in Ireland) and Godfather (set in Italy) for my bonus categories. :)

message 36: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Book with a starburst in the cover:
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth

Just so you know though, I'm reading it now and I'm hoping the main character is eaten by crocodiles so read it at your own risk.

message 37: by Penney (new)

Penney (pschoener) | 3553 comments ROFL! Sounds promising D.G. ;-)

message 38: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Here are some recs for anyone in need of some Wine/wineries recs:
http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=su%3...

message 39: by KimKirt (new)

KimKirt | 1638 comments D.G., let us know if he actually DOES get eaten by the crocs, then it'll probably be a 5-starer, huh?

message 40: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments LOL, Kim. So far there have been only crows (no crocs!) but a girl can only hope.

message 41: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19873 comments Penney wrote: "Thanks Jane for your help. I'm trying to use this challenge to clear out my TBR, It's inching closer and closer to 200 books. LOL, I know that's just a drop in the bucket for some people, but for..."

Penney - Could you let me know what The Legend of Michael is like? - it looks pretty interesting :)

message 42: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19873 comments DG - Are you STILL reading Divergent? LOL! You have been making comments (generally negative) for weeks on that book! I'm stearing clear!

message 43: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments yeah - I totally decided to put it aside based on DG's comments and found another book that fits the category I was going to use divergent for

message 44: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments I took a break and listened to 2 audiobooks in between and now I'm back at it.

The thing is that the book has really high ratings (4.51) and I feel somebody should write a thorough review pointing out the the book BIG weaknesses. I just appointed myself to the job, LOL!

message 45: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19873 comments LOL! I'll watch for it. At the moment it is on my TNR (to not read) list...

message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments its on my, oh crap, I bought this crap list ;)

message 47: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments At least I got it from the library.

message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda D. (tinyminx) | 634 comments Dee wrote: "its on my, oh crap, I bought this crap list ;)"

I think everyone needs a list like that. Usually, if I'm not feeling a book, I put it aside and throw it dirty looks until I genuinely have nothing else to read.

message 49: by Shell (new)

Shell | 2 comments Any suggestions for the Mint Juliep? Something set in Virginia or Kentucky?

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda D. (tinyminx) | 634 comments Causing Havoc by Lori Foster is set in Kentucky, I believe.

« previous 1 3 4 5