Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads Nominations > Dec 2011-Jan 2012 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Let's start our first group read for August-September 2011! Yah! Please go to my personal bookshelf titled "sai-king-recommends" (which you can view at http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...), and pick one book to recommend for our August-September group read.

Group Read Rules

One nomination per person, please.

Nominations will be open until Saturday, July 16, 2011 with voting until Saturday, July 23, 2011. I know this is a short time-frame and will give more time for our next read.

For your nomination please indicate: Title, Author and Link (use the "add book/author" link at top of comment box).

Since we are an international group, please check to make sure the book is readily available. Is it available in paperback? Used? Your local library? The last thing we want is to nominate a great book that no one can get!

At this time, I think we should avoid books that are book 2 or later in a series. I don't think there are that many books like this that Stephen King recommended, but there are a few. If so, feel free to recommend the FIRST book in a series and made a note in your comment which book King actually recommended. I will add it to my "sai-king-recommends" bookshelf.

If King recommended an AUTHOR, but I don't have the book you'd like to nominate by that author on my "sai-king-recommends" bookshelf, please feel free to nominate any book by that author, again making a note of this in your comments. I will also add that book to my "sai-king-recommends" bookshelf.

I think that covers it! Happy reading, constant reader!

message 2: by Debra (new)

Duh! I just realized having a poll might not be advisable when we only have 9 members. Everyone would probably vote for their own nomination and we'd be stymied! lol

Any ideas?

Karen  (EarthAngel2911) (karens_923) You could create a poll with a few of your own suggestions to begin... :-)

message 4: by Debra (new)

Karen (EarthAngel2911) wrote: "You could create a poll with a few of your own suggestions to begin... :-)"

I was considering that. Let's see if anyone else has any ideas. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 5: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) I like that idea, a little nudge to get us started :)

message 6: by Debra (new)

Kit★ wrote: "I like that idea, a little nudge to get us started :)"

I think I'll do that this weekend; come up with half a dozen books and see what everyone thinks. A little nudge just might get us going, Kit!

message 7: by Debra (new)

Ok, I came up with the following books. Let me know what you think.

Debra

Oryx and Crake
Fieldwork
Last Night in Twisted River
In the Lake of the Woods
Dispatch
The Egyptologist

message 8: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie I'll vote for Last Night in Twisted River. It's the only book nominated that my library has available for the Nook. ;)

message 9: by Debra (new)

Lonnie wrote: "I'll vote for Last Night in Twisted River. It's the only book nominated that my library has available for the Nook. ;)"

Ah! I didn't think of you ebook readers. That certainly limits your options. Would you be willing to check out actual books from your library?

message 10: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie Willing, yes, but I like to go the ebook route whenever possible. Much easier to carry. :)

message 11: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 1093 comments Mod
Ooooo,this is so difficult.

First I wanted to vote for the one with the highest review rating; then I went for the one that is already on my United Nations Challenge bookshelf; then I read and liked a King review and changed my mind; then I read a quirky synopsis and changed my mind again.

I know already that I will HAVE to read them all, so I won't be disappointed no matter which book wins the vote.

For now, I will vote for Fieldwork.

message 12: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 25 comments Wow those are some great titles, doesn't matter which one wins, I will be happy, I'll cast a vote for Last Night in Twisted River just cause I love John Irving :)

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber | 126 comments I'm voting for Fieldwork.

Question: The title of this topic is 'august-september', so does that mean we are reading for 2 months? Or starting it at the beginning of August and discussing it when September starts? I'm wondering how much time I'll have to fit it into my schedule.

message 14: by Debra (new)

Amber wrote: "I'm voting for Fieldwork.

Question: The title of this topic is 'august-september', so does that mean we are reading for 2 months? Or starting it at the beginning of August and discussing it w..."

I was thinking people might like 2 months to read the book and then we discuss it in October, as most of us belong to several clubs and have big reading commitments already. However, I'm open to suggestions!

message 15: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie I think thats a good idea Debra. It allows for time to get the book and read it. I'm not a fast reader.

Since this is such a new group I would be interested in reading the book and having open free flowing discussions about the book, without having to mark every thought as a spoiler. Thoughts?

message 16: by Debra (new)

Lonnie wrote: "I think thats a good idea Debra. It allows for time to get the book and read it. I'm not a fast reader.

Since this is such a new group I would be interested in reading the book and having open f..."

I don't see a problem with this. Let's see if anyone else has thoughts on it.

message 17: by Debra (new)

It seems like we are split between Last Night in Twisted River and Fieldwork. I'm thinking we could do Night in Twisted River first, and then have October-November's read be Fieldwork. How would that work for everyone?

message 18: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Debra wrote: "It seems like we are split between Last Night in Twisted River and Fieldwork. I'm thinking we could do Night in Twisted River first, and then have October-November's r..."

This arrangement works for me.

So when shall we start?

message 19: by Debra (new)

August 1st will be the start date. I'll start discussions for both books.

message 20: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Really looking forward to this.

I think Stephen King may have excellent taste in reading material!!! ;o)

message 21: by Amber (new)

Amber | 126 comments I think it's a great idea as well. I could definitely use the extra time to make it fit into my schedule. And, I expect our first read may take me the entire two months because I'm not an Irving fan.

message 22: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) The 2 month set up works great for me too :)

message 23: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie works for me... I'll make it my next library book. :)

message 24: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) I think I'm going to have to attempt the library too, though I dislike borrowing and not owning. Unless I get lucky and find it at the flea market this weekend :o

message 25: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 25 comments going to order these two books so I have them, ;)

message 26: by Debra (new)

I've had to stop ordering books because I own so many already. Now I'm keeping the library VERY busy! lol Yeah, I'd rather own them all, but hey, you have to stop somewhere!

Looking forward to the first group read!

message 27: by Debra (new)

I'm putting off reading a couple of books that I think would be good for future group reads, so I thought I'd list them here for future reference.

Sharp Objects
Case Histories
The Beach

message 28: by Debra (new)

We can add Dispatch to our list of possible group reads.

message 29: by Debra (new)

Does anyone have a nomination for the Nov-Dec 2011 group read? Remember it has to be a book on my "sai-king-recommends" bookshelf, or a book by a favorite author of Stephen King's that hasn't been added to the list yet.

You can view the bookshelf here:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

Please use the "add book/author" link to add your nomination here. One nomination per person, please.

I'm going to start a poll for Nov-Dec 2011 soon, as a traveling member would like to make her book purchases while in the USA in 3 weeks. I thought it would be nice to accommodate her.

I will be including the list of books already mentioned in this thread in the poll, along with any additional ones nominated.

message 30: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) Ok, how about something by Peter Straub? Maybe Lost Boy, Lost Girl Lost Boy, Lost Girl by Peter Straub .

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 4 comments The skylark. Peter Straub,,,

message 32: by Debra (new)

The Skylark - I put in the link for you, Lisa.

message 33: by Debra (new)

Note: If you want to view a list of the books nominated to date, just look on the right side of the screen, below the advertisements. It says "Books Mentioned In This Topic." Just click on "More" to see the complete list. As long as you use the "add book/author" feature (click on the link right above the comment window), your book will show up on that list.

message 34: by Joan (new)

Joan Wise (joan46) | 13 comments For Nov-Dec I nominate DARK PLACES by Gillian Flynn.

message 35: by Debra (new)

Here's the link for Dark Places. We are going to have a good list, folks! It's going to be hard to pick just one.

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I nominate The Passage by Justin Cronin.

message 37: by Debra (new)

Good choice, Jennifer. Here's the link for The Passage.

Just want to reminder everyone to use the "add book/author" function when adding a book here or in any other discussion. This creates a link to the book's details so others can see if it is a book they'd be interested in reading. It also adds the book to the list of books under the advertisements on the right side of the screen. This is an easy way to view all the books that have been nominated and/or discussed. To see them all, just click on the link titled "More."

For those who don't know, when you see a book title or author's name in a discussion which looks gray in appearance and is underlined, you can place your cursor on it and click to see the book's synopsis, details, ratings, and reviews.

Hope that helps.

message 38: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 25 comments Another SraubThe Green Woman

message 39: by Debra (new)

I just realized I mis-named this group read as Nov-Dec 2011. It should be Dec 2011-Jan 2012.

Since we already have more than enough nominations for that group read, I'm going to close this thread to further posts, and will start a poll soon.

Thanks, everyone!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.