Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Discussions about books > Reading and Music

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (last edited Jul 07, 2011 07:23PM) (new)

Scott (srussell) | 33 comments I was wondering what kind of music everyone listens to. Is their an artist that really strikes a cord with you or a certain style. I am trying to see if their is a correlation between what people listen too and what they read.

I am a Rush fan myself. I love all kinds of music though, they are just my favorite.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll listen to almost anything, really. Just have to be in the right mood for it.

Default though is island music and/or hip-hop/rap.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott It would be easier for me to list the kinds of music I don't listen to, and even then there are exceptions.

Right now I am listening to some gothic metal; later when I read I will put on some ambient...

message 4: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 65 comments Scott wrote: "...I am a Rush fan myself. I love all kinds on music though, they are just my favorite.
"

Rush is great! I am a major prog/neo-prog gal. My favorite bands include Marillion, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Tool, King Crimson, Dream Theater, and more. But, I am a big music fan in general, also, and can list favorites from most genres.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) i'm into a lot of different types of music but tend toward goth/industrial, grunge, alternative and punk.

message 6: by Bill (last edited Jul 08, 2011 06:18AM) (new)

Bill (kernos) | 350 comments I listen to Classical music almost exclusively. Beethoven is my all time favorite composer, but I listen to many others and most of the periods. I've noticed a tendency to listen to chamber music as I get older.

As far as Popular goes, I think it's a Law that we like best what we grew up with, which for me was primarily in the 60's and early '70s. The Beatles are #1, but the albu I liste to most is the original Hair soundtrack. I also have fun listening to music of my parents generation. There are some great songs from their Age that have and will last. And a corollary to the Law is that your kids music will make you crazy and your grandkids music even crazier.

message 7: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments LOL, very true Kernos.

I listen to everything, I guess. There's not too much that I can't get into. Like Ala, I mostly stay with hip hop/R&B but I also like just about everything else. I think I've got a single in almost every genre.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (last edited Jul 08, 2011 06:25AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) I love music! I grew up listening to it, and it's important to my life. I like old school R&B and 80s New Wave, postpunk/alternative rock, brit rock, electronic music the most. I don't care for country music at all, and I don't like my music too hard or jarring. My all time favorite band is Duran Duran. 2nd fave is Interpol.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I mostly stick with rock in various guises - alt-rock, industrial, grunge, heavy, even some pop-rock and the occasional classic-rock.

Some favorite bands: NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, Rob Zombie, Tool/ A Perfect Circle, Bush, Alice in Chains, STP, some Korn, older Disturbed, Muse, Chevelle, Garbage, so on and so forth.

I also listen to some chick stuff: Sarah McLachlan, Alanis Morisette, Tori Amos, Poe, Fiona Apple...

And some New Agey/Celtic stuff like Loreena McKennit, Enya and Enigma.

But the first group is my more go-to stuff.

message 10: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1018 comments Oh man if you were too look at everything in my iTunes, it's a mix, I like all kinds of stuff. There's anything from Sinatra and Dean Martin to Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, some 50's and 60's oldies kind of stuff, Beatles, Monkees, Beach Boys... there's tons of Zeppelin, Doors, Floyd, Dylan, Hendrix, Lynyrd Skynyrd etc. There's also a couple pop, dance-able kind of songs mostly dating to the early 2000's, ones I liked in school, and also a couple of the heavier things I listened to back then and still sort of like Orgy, NIN, Rammstein (love*), Godsmack... lots of random mixed stuff. So I tend to put it on shuffle, that way I never know what I'm going to get :)

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) You named off a bunch of my favs Colleen :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm....I have broad taste. I grew up on big band and classical and discovered classic rock in my early teens and never looked back. I enjoy all genres but as most have said it depends on why im listening. If I'm dancing, I prefer latin soul or hip/hop (Sergio Mendes); if I'm relaxing then acoustic rock and indie alternative rock (Eva Cassidy, Mazzy Star, Nikka Costa, Dishwalla, Dave Matthews Band, Radiohead ; if I'm wanting to get pumped up then it's classic or hard rock (Zepplin, Skynyrd, Bad Company, The Toadies, Rush, Pantera) and when I'm pissed I want stuff that'll make my blood boil (Tool, NIN, Megadeath, Five Finger Death Punch, Lamb of God, Iron Maiden, Type 0 Negative, Cradle of Filth) It all just depends on the mood

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 284 comments I've been rather heavily into metal and all its subgenres but lately I've been broadening my tastes.

Still my top 3 bands are: Blind Guardian. Epic Power Metal. Their songs are about literature mostly, and fantasy more often than not. With titles like Lord of the Rings, Tanelorn (into the void), the Soulforged, A past and future secret, Otherland and a whole album based on the Silmarillion, called Nightfall in Middle-Earth.

Savatage classic 80s metal evolving towards more layered and epic stuff in the 90s. They're the band that eventually evolved into Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I'm told they're quite big in the USA.

Ayreon. The progmetal/rock project of master musician Arjen Lucassen. He writes and records all music himself, except drums. And then he invites a whole host of well known metal and rock singers to play the different characters in his science fiction inspired stories. He's had some rather big names sing on his records, like Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden), James Labrie (Dream Theater) and Fish (Marillion).

I like big and epic. It shows in my music taste ;)

Other bands I like: Opeth, Iced Earth, Demons&Wizards, Type O Negative, Iron maiden, Dream Theater, Nevermore, Machine Head, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin, Katatonia, Helloween, Primordial, Grand Magus, Sabaton, Queensryche, Megadeth, Death Angel, Tiamat, Celtic Frost, ...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I loooooved Savatage. Their albums always told stories and integrated interesting musical concepts. I remember one song started off with the sound of choppers in the background ..wish I could remember the name. And props for listing Dream Theater :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Of Rage and War!!! That's it! :D *hugs* Thanks, Tracey!

*runs off to do piratey things involving music*

message 16: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) I love all genres of music, though country is on the bottom of the list. Right now I am really into dubstep and 70's funk/soul.

message 17: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments I like a mix of music as well, but seem to keep coming back to lyrical and sometimes story-like. I think I notice lyrics and love certain kind of imagery--Paul Simon, Sarah McL. and Mark Knopfler come to mind--and I look for similar things in my favorite reads. A general focus on language and evoking a mood.

message 18: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Tracey wrote: "☠The Dread Pirate Grant☠ wrote: "*runs off to do piratey things involving music*"

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion this doesn't involve squeeze-boxes and sea chanties? XD"

But wouldn't it be awesome if it did?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm pretty eclectic but I mainly listen to rock in it's various forms. Here the main artists I like:

Adolescents, Alela Diane, Bad Religion (88-93), Blondie (76-80), David Bowie (69-72), James Carr, Johnny Cash, Sam Cooke, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Dead Kennedys, Deep Purple (68-72), Bo Diddley, Bob Dylan (62-65), Jackson C. Frank, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Godsmack (98-04), Hüsker Dü, Etta James, Katzenjammer, Korn (94-97), L7, Led Zeppelin (69-71), Little Richard, Lynyrd Skynyrd, April March, Mazzy Star, Metallica (83-91), The Misfits, The Moody Blues (67-70), The Nils, Nirvana, NOFX (92-97), Ramones, Rancid (93-00), The Rolling Stones (64-71), Buffy Sainte-Marie, Sepultura (89-94), Nancy Sinatra (66-67), Mariee Sioux, Slayer (83-90), Valravn, The Who (71-75), Wipers, ZZ Top (71-73)

I really hate mainstream pop, especially contemporary RnB and dance pop.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Your google-fu is impressive. I must say I find Nancy Sinatra Ridiculously out of depth considering your artists :) I mean, I can see Aretha rockin out with The Stones or Bowie or the Ramones. But Nancy?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I just copied and pasted the list of artists from my rateyourmusic profile. Yeah, Nancy is slightly different but I like her voice, I also like stuff like Norah Jones, Nellie McKay...

message 22: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments I mostly listen to Hip hop but not the "hip hop" they play on the radio, i hate that. My favorite groups are The Roots, Wu Tang Clan and Erykah Badu. I also listen to some rock like Kasabian and The Kooks.

message 23: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 106 comments I listen to a wide range of music but only a few genres really touch me i.e. classical music including film soundtracks (Howard Shore's Fellowship of the Rings actually just brings tears to my eyes, damn him!!) and punk music because the political lyrics strike a chord every time (and it also sounds amazing).
I also love Michael Jackson, lol! I've listened to him since I was eight and I still love him. I also listen to Bollywood music a lot cause I'm fascinated with all things Indian.

message 24: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments What do you think of Elliot Goldenthal?

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Machavelli wrote: "I mostly listen to Hip hop but not the "hip hop" they play on the radio, i hate that. My favorite groups are The Roots, Wu Tang Clan and Erykah Badu. I also listen to some rock like Kasabian and Th..."

That stuff they play on the radio is not hip-hop. It's rap. I'm not a big rap fan...

message 26: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 106 comments Denae wrote: "What do you think of Elliot Goldenthal?"

I've actually never listened to him. So I looked him up on youtube and I've just sat listening to his music from Michael Collins. Its pretty awesome.

message 27: by Mach (last edited Aug 05, 2011 05:05AM) (new)

Mach | 572 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "
That stuff they play on the radio is not hip-hop. It's rap. I'm not a big rap fan... ..."

I would not call it Rap, Rap is about rhyming these mainstream "rappers" just talk bullshit to a bad beat. I mean people like Lil Wayne and Lil Joc and all those southern rappers, they make crappy music and give hip hop a bad name.

message 28: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 106 comments Machavelli wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "
That stuff they play on the radio is not hip-hop. It's rap. I'm not a big rap fan... ..."

I would not call it Rap, Rap is about rhyming these mainstream "rappers" just talk bull..."

I grew up with the mainstream stuff, so its kinda all I've known Jay-z...Eminem etc. (although never warmed up to Lil Wayne). However its interesting to compare the lyrics of the 90s with present day rap. I've always thought its cause today's famous rappers are living such successful rich lives, they can't write much that's meaningful anymore. Their lyrics mightn't be great but I have to say there are some sick beats out there.

message 29: by Mach (last edited Aug 05, 2011 05:19AM) (new)

Mach | 572 comments I hate the lyrics and the beats and even though Jay Z and Eminem are mainstream, they had some good albums in the 90's, unlike the mainstream rappers today that have only produced bad music.

message 30: by Weenie (new)

Weenie Depending on my mood, I like a mixture of rock and pop. Currently doing the shuffle on my ipod are the likes of Muse, Pink, Biffy Clyro, Foo Fighters, Katy Perry and Arctic Monkeys. A bit of Adele for when I'm feeling a bit mellow...Linkin Park and Sum 41 for when I want to yell in my car!

message 31: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Roshio wrote: "Denae wrote: "What do you think of Elliot Goldenthal?"

I've actually never listened to him. So I looked him up on youtube and I've just sat listening to his music from Michael Collins. Its pretty ..."

I adore his Vietnam Oratorio, as an example of non-film soundtrack stuff too.

message 32: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Roshio wrote: "I grew up with the mainstream stuff, so its kinda all I've known Jay-z...Eminem etc. (although never warmed up to Lil Wayne). However its interesting to compare the lyrics of the 90s with present day rap. I've always thought its cause today's famous rappers are living such successful rich lives, they can't write much that's meaningful anymore. Their lyrics mightn't be great but I have to say there are some sick beats out there."

I grew up with people like KRS-1. It used to be that hip-hop gave a message. It told a story (remember that song "Me and Jesus the Pimp in a '79 Granda? Or "UNITY?") - sometimes good, sometimes bad.

This stuff now...it's window dressing. It's what happens when the music of a marginalized people goes mainstream. The only thing left from the origins of hip-hop is the beats (and the few people left around from the past).

message 33: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Walker (Jordan739) | 104 comments I have extremely varied taste in music. I listen to everything from Jason Aldean to Korn and on occasion Enya. It depends on the mood. Lately I've been listening to Blue Stone quite a bit as well as Poe.

~Jordan

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) MrsJoseph wrote: "Roshio wrote: "I grew up with the mainstream stuff, so its kinda all I've known Jay-z...Eminem etc. (although never warmed up to Lil Wayne). However its interesting to compare the lyrics of the 90s..."

Oh man the stuff today has no respect for women!!! And a lot of it COMES FROM WOMEN!

message 35: by Dana (new)

Dana | 140 comments Southern Rock is my favorite kind of music, although I also like jam bands and quite a bit from the 60's and 70's. The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks, the Black Crowes, and Phish are some of my favorites.

message 36: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Amanda wrote: "Oh man the stuff today has no respect for women!!! And a lot of it COMES FROM WOMEN! "

Oh man. Don't even get me started with that. That just burns me up. Oh geez.

message 37: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I'm into all kinds of music. Currently, my favorites are somewhat polar opposites. Heavy metal and jazz. For the metal, I like almost all types of subgenres. For Jazz, I'm really into Miles Davis and The Oscar Peterson Trio.

message 38: by ☼Marian☼ (new)

☼Marian☼ (mgdc) When I'm reading I'm usually stuck with Disney Junior or any cartoon movie for my background music. See, I read with my kids playing around. But after I put them to sleep, I listen to classical's (Mozart, Debussy, Handel..etc) while reading.

message 39: by Angie (new)

Angie (morwen84) | 19 comments i mostly listen to punk, pretty much anything that falls under that genre from emo to hardcore. some of my favorites are Latterman, The Broadways, RVIVR, Minor Threat, Caves, Have Heart, The Dopamines, Off With Their Heads, Screeching Weasel, Champion, Like Bats.

and since this is a fantasy group, you all might be interested in Fall Of Efrafa. all their music is influenced by themes in Watership Down(their 3 albums are named Owsla, Elil and Inle, collectively known as The Warren of Snares).it's really great. the singer now has a new concept band, Light Bearer, that's influence by His Dark Materials.

message 40: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Great stuff! Thanks for the recommendations, Angie!

message 41: by Angie (new)

Angie (morwen84) | 19 comments thanks! no problem, my two favorite things to talk about are books and music!