Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read Suggestions > Theme Nominations for September

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 422 comments Okay, it is time for us to come up with a theme for September. So, nominate away!!!

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 422 comments I will go first.

I nominate sci-fi horror!

message 3: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

Maggie K | 1280 comments Mod
oh my gosh Jason! What a shock!

I am thinking an author read...

I will nominate the Works of Ray Bradbury

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Umm... would "Short story collection" be allowed? If so, that's my nomination.

If not, then I'll pick something else. LOL

message 5: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

Maggie K | 1280 comments Mod
no, i think that is a good idea Becky. SciFi lends itself really well to short story collections

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I agree, and I have a couple that need reading! ;) Thanks!

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 422 comments That is an excellent choice, Becky!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Popular SciFi.

message 9: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Hugo-nominated works

message 10: by Milo (new)

Milo | 40 comments The works of Gene Wolfe.

message 11: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) I am seconding Maggies request. I'd love to take a crack at Bradburys work.

message 12: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments I'm seconding Jason's horror sci-fi nomination.

message 13: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments I hope that whichever book win, that there's an eBook for it. I am seriously having problems with reading paper books. I can, but it's too much of a strain on my eyes for me to read for long periods. I can't adjust the lighting, fonts, etc., to suit my comfort.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 372 comments I'm going to have to back off group reads for a couple of months at least...my to be read mountain (thanks for the word picture Jason) is in danger of flattening not only my own neighborhood now but a good part of middle TN so the authorities have stepped in and are insisting I cut it down a bit.

Still if we hit one I was going to read anyway I will participate, so I'll nominate urban fantasy as I have several waiting.

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Do we need a second to make the poll? (Did I ask this already? Too many groups!)

message 16: by Margaret (new)

Margaret George | 30 comments I would like to nominate as a theme "Women in SF". There are some wonderful books that have heroines that defy the typical romantic tremes of women in other genres. Something like Tanya Huff's SSG Torin Kerr, or the Kris Longknife books. Even women in SF who are in a subsidiary though important role, like Adele in Drake's Cpt Leary series. There is an interesting character. Even Bet in C.J. Cherryh's Rimrunners. Not your typical heroine at all. Something to consider.

message 17: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
no need for seconds!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

The distant future, when humanity is something substantially different than right now. Ex: The Eloi from The Time Machine.

message 19: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments I know there's no need. I want to say I like the horror sci-fi idea, too.

message 20: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments Actually, I would love something warpy that deals with parallel universes, or has a lot of weird Physics stuff in it. What would you call that?

message 21: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) I am with Aloha, I am in if its a ebook. The ridiculous publishing laws in Australia mean that we pay way to much for books here. Hence all the bookstore chains closing down. Imagine paying $25 for a paperback.

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) mark wrote: "no need for seconds!"

Thanks... I swear, every group I'm in had different seconding rules. It's enough to make a girl a little nutso, you know? There should be a way to put sticky notes on groups so I can keep track! ;)

message 23: by Aloha (last edited Jul 07, 2011 04:24PM) (new)

Aloha | 538 comments I have a geekosphere with a huge monitor, a couple of laptops, a printer, a scanner, etc., but what keeps me on track are those Post-Its all over my computer, and my spiral appointment book that I can scribble in for quick reminders. I check that faithfully, but always forget to look at my Toodledoo, which I synced with my iPhone and iPad.

message 24: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) .....is busy looking to see if Toodledoo can change his life

message 25: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments Didn't change mine, but I kept on trying.

message 26: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments Buy yourself some yellow Post-Its. Those work great!

message 27: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments Unless they cost 25 dollars over there.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 372 comments oops...UF doesn't fit does it...okay, ignore my former suggestion, brain fog...Military science fiction then.

message 29: by Lee (last edited Jul 07, 2011 04:36PM) (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) Posts its cheap but not very mobile. I look silly on the train with all those stickies on my kindle.

Not meaning to hijack this thread or anything ;)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Aloha wrote: "Actually, I would love something warpy that deals with parallel universes, or has a lot of weird Physics stuff in it. What would you call that?"

How about alternate physics? Somehow the world changes and nothing works quite the same? There's a couple of good series' out there on that theme.

message 31: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments That's the first I've heard of alternate physics. Sounds good to me!

message 32: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments Yeah, Lee, don't hijack a thread. The idea!

message 33: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 490 comments I like to nominate Nebula winners.

message 34: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 422 comments Aloha wrote: "Actually, I would love something warpy that deals with parallel universes, or has a lot of weird Physics stuff in it. What would you call that?"

These are always the best!

message 35: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 422 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I'm going to have to back off group reads for a couple of months at least...my to be read mountain (thanks for the word picture Jason) is in danger of flattening not only my own neighborhood now bu..."

No problem. That image is a very real, horrifying thing though...lol

message 36: by Brick (new)

Brick Marlin Jason wrote: "I will go first.

I nominate sci-fi horror!"

I agree with this mixed genre!

Horror Bookworm Reviews | 4 comments I agree with becky. I vote for short story collections.

message 38: by Chris (new)

Chris (necaros) | 28 comments A short story collection matched to the chosen theme! I say a collection of military sci-fi.

$25 for a paperback, WTF? Ouch. Can I mail you a sympathy book for free?

message 39: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (mussgorsky) | 3 comments I vote for Books by Arthur C. Clarke

or sci-fi horror

message 40: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) @ Chris,
The good news about $25 paperbacks, is that it made the decision to buy a kindle a lot easier.
Libraries are popular in Australia. Bookstores are going out of business. Ebook sales are booming.

message 41: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Thompson I'm going to go with Jason. Sci-fi horror! Or, Mike (the Paladin, not MY Mike and his short stories, haha)

message 42: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I like a lot of these ideas, short stories collections n horror SF sound great :)

message 43: by Kevin (last edited Jul 08, 2011 04:14AM) (new)

Kevin (kevn57) I'd like to suggest a Japanese Light Novel like "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" for example.

message 44: by Mach (new)

Mach | 19 comments Scifi Fantasy. Books that have elements of both.

message 45: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) Ah! There are so many themes that I'd love to do! I'd like to nominate robot/android theme (I have a bunch of Asimov on my TBR list). However, I really like the Ray Bradbury, Hugo Winners, and Arthur C. Clarke ideas!

message 46: by John (new)

John Montagne | 2 comments I'd like to suggest books of the PF sub-genre, prehistoric fiction - or "paleoliterature" as well (which isn't necessarily in a "past" setting, like Robert Sawyer's Neanderthal Parallax novels for example). My two cents :)

message 47: by Zuzana (last edited Jul 08, 2011 03:02PM) (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 4 comments LOL, Jason -- sci-fi horror ... you? Really?

I'm hoping to possibly have more time to read by September, and I'd love to get back to my fave SF guy Bradbury. Haven't read his work in years :(

Also great would be some Ursula Le Guin or Philip K. Dick.

Lots of great suggestions here!

message 48: by Margaret (new)

Margaret George | 30 comments Well, if we are going for SF/horror, I can recomend again David Weber's newest, "Out of the Dark". First of a trilogy. Pure SF with some figures from horror literature thrown in.

message 49: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 232 comments Anyone fancy an Iain M. Banks Culture novel.

They're all stand alone as far as I can tell, so I think it should be ok to dive in anywhere, people could nominate their favourite or one that they would particularly like to read.
As far as I know they all have at least kindle versions, so access shouldn't be a problem.

Purely a selfish nomination I'm afraid as I have a backlog of Culture books I want to read, and I'd love to have some company along for the ride.

message 50: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
okay, this is message #50 so i think i will cut off nominations now - we have a ton. thanks everyone for all the nominations! i'll put up a poll soon.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.